Polestar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check electricity supply before ordering charger

Well just unintentionally caused her indoors to go ballistic! Long and short of it just had Western Distribution round to do a quick check of electricity supply before charger gets installed. So it seems we have a looped electricity supply coming off a neighbours house and now means Western are going to have to cut a trench through our lawn and remove our paving to put new cables in for us at a cost to them of £1000’s…..unfortunately we paid out over 10k last year to have it all landscaped so you can imagine her language at being told the news. (Think going to take more than flowers or chocolates this time)

Guess the positive is as current supply goes to neighbours 1st it is ours being dug up….if it had been ours 1st not sure how they would have reacted to being told their drive was being dug up!!

2nd positive Western have said will put everything back as was! ….mmm!

3rd positive TBA

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well consider whether you really need the charger. I know it's stirring up a hornets nest to say this, but a lot of people can manage perfectly well with the portable EVSE provided with the car, it's all down to usage patterns and daily mileage.

·
Registered
P2 2021, Void, Charcoal, no PP, 19 inch
161 Posts
Well you are right, when changing from ICE to EV you mostly start with looking at and comparing the EV cars you like and the price of the car. After ordering my Polestar i started the other preparations:
1) ordered a Zappi 2: €1600 including installation
2) changed our electricity from 1 phase to 3 phase: €650
3) payed the local distributor for the change from 1 to 3 phase: €300 (around, forgot the exact price)
4) decided to place sunpanels on our roof which we would not have decided if not buying our EV: €3500
5) before placing sunpanels it was advised to renew the roof first if that roof was already quite old. So we decided to renew this first to prevent later extra costs: €3200
So buying our great Polestar 2 had an almost 10K extra consequence.
But we think this is a good investment, maybe not financialy but at least in convenience 😁👌

·
Registered
non PP - Snow - Ordered Sep 20 - Delivery 01 Dec 20
94 Posts
Musketeer - Are you saying you have to pay for it or is it a cost to be borne by the distributor?
I had a smart meter installed and they discovered the supply wasn't as it should have been (not sure what as I was at work and my wife never asked questions). Northern Power turned up, lifted my drive (block pave), laid a new cable street to the main fuse. They replaced my main fuse holder and the fuse itself with a 100A fuse and this all cost me nothing.
And by the way, I couldn't even tell they had lifted the drive when I returned home from work. They did a great job, so hope that helps allay your fears of mess.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In answer to a few of the questions.

RobD - Do i need the charger.....not really but based on the curent range and on the assumption covid restrictions will eventually be lifted have a lot of distance trips to catch up on and would rather have ability to get to 100% at home rather than rely on public network.

Stunto - Distributor paying for it (fortunately) and thanks for saying they did a good job as apparently going to take 3 days and did say would be put back as was but guess i am a cynical old git lol. Strangely has a smart meter installed many years ago and that was easy fit as an hour ish later was installed and they were gone.

Janthar - Very true plus all the car washing gear (snow foam, jet washer, towels, ceramic wax) that was bought to practice on current car in preparation lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts