Polestar Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2022 LRSM Thunder/Slate/Plus/Hitch
686 Posts
Pretty interesting corner location for the charging port on the Rivian … one must wonder why, eh? Did they do some depth analysis which part of a car gets involved in a crash the least? … and left corner came up. It definitely makes a sense as you eliminate left hand turn T bone impacts, but that cannot be the only reason, can it?

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Pretty interesting corner location for the charging port on the Rivian … one must wonder why, eh? Did they do some depth analysis which part of a car gets involved in a crash the least? … and left corner came up. It definitely makes a sense as you eliminate left hand turn T bone impacts, but that cannot be the only reason, can it?
It’s probably due to the corner location enhances the aero of the box design…..

·
Registered
686 Posts
How so? If you put on the side just under the A pillar, let say… it will be completely flat when closed shut. And must be much easier to line up everything properly … hence why most cars have it on a flat part.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
How so? If you put on the side just under the A pillar, let say… it will be completely flat when closed shut. And must be much easier to line up everything properly … hence why most cars have it on a flat part.
I was being sarcastic which doesn’t really go over well on a forum lol. If the P2 has crap aero the Rivian must be even worse.

·
Registered
686 Posts
😂😂😂 … sorry, I am sitting on my funny wires I guess. I hear people claim all kinds of things these days, so I figured, hmmm … let’s hear why, 🤔.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Gives the most flexibility when you are towing something.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Yeah, that could make sense….although most charging stations simply don’t work for any long towing setup (without unhooking the towed trailer)….I feel like they will need start building new kind oh stalls to really accommodate any tow setup charging.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Primarily for towing situations is my guess. Its probably easier to plug in without dropping the trailer.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Yeah, assuming it’s not a type of a stall where the charging cable station is right in front, which I see a lot in my neck of woods …. If trailer is left park there, it will block easily the passage behind the standard car size box. But I guess, Rivian is working on their own network, so perhaps there it will make always more sense.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Yeah, assuming it’s not a type of a stall where the charging cable station is right in front, which I see a lot in my neck of woods …. If trailer is left park there, it will block easily the passage behind the standard car size box. But I guess, Rivian is working on their own network, so perhaps there it will make always more sense.
The charging of cars that tow is not compatible in general with the placement of 90% of the chargers I’ve seen. They are all located in dead-end locations which means either you decouple to charge or you block spots for non-EVs (pissing people off) or you block charger spots (pissing off EV owners). It’s a no-win situation, mitigated by the fact that EVs are terrible tow vehicles in most cases. The Rivian is designed to tow, however, so they are going to need to think about charger stall placement above and beyond the actual plug itself.

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2 | Snow | Performance Package
114 Posts
it's to make it easier to charge. The Rivian Adventure Network will have a few stalls designed for those with a trailer so it's easier to pull up to without blocking the way. Depending on which way they pull in, it makes it easier to bring the cable around the front if needed

Reactions: polerad

·
Registered
2022 Polestar 2 Dual Motor, Snow, Pilot and Plus Packs
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is it bad that living in St. Louis and traveling through Southern Illinois on the regular I am actually bored of Rivians now? I've literally seen more of them than I've seen Polestar 2's :ROFLMAO:
LOL not at all. You're so close to the factory, so I can see why :LOL:. We haven't seen too many here in NJ yet. Slowly but surely...

·
Registered
956 Posts
I was recently in California and saw a few Rivians, i drove past a couple and only noticed when I saw the lights in my mirrors. Technically it is an interesting car.... But to my European eyes it just blended in with all the other ridiculous big trucks on the road.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts