Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question as this just happened to me and I’m trying to understand the overall landscape…
Was charging on a Signet ElectrifyAmerica charger in LA yesterday. As many of you know (but it’s not universally understood yet) each charging unit has 2 charging heads attached.
Plant Tree Land lot Yellow Motor vehicle

While almost charged, a Mercedes EQS pulled in next to me and proceeded to try to connect her car to the charger I was using. As it only functions with 1 vehicle at a time, it did not start to charge her car. So she hit the cancel button which ended my charging. Not a big deal for me as I was at 79% but my open question here is has anyone else run into others who don’t fully understand the full scene yet? Just because a charge unit has 2 heads doesn’t mean it charges 2 vehicles simultaneously. Filling up EV’s isn’t fully understood and may even differ by charging systems.
Any other experiences?

·
Registered
'22 P*2 dual motor, midnight, charcoal, performance pilot plus
45 Posts
Haven't seen that before. I'd assume she's just confused about how the chargers work, except you'd think the act of hitting the cancel button would trigger some kind of mental pause. Sounds just incredibly rude.

Closest experience I've had was sitting in my car on a conference call while charging at a grocery store in Eagle Rock. I glanced into the rear view mirror just in time to see some kids hit the cancel button and run away. I actually have more respect for their shenanigans that the selfishness of your EQS driver.

·
Registered
2022 Polestar 2 pilot, plus, performance, magnesium.
278 Posts
This is quite annoying honestly. I pulled up to a mall and all 6 stalls were taken up my Tesla model 3...... None of them were even plugged up. They were just taking advantage of the ev parking.

·
Registered
P2, Snow, Slate, PP, Hitch, Nextbase Dashcam, 20% Tint, Polestar, give us more regen. breaking!
469 Posts
Quick question as this just happened to me and I’m trying to understand the overall landscape…
Was charging on a Signet ElectrifyAmerica charger in LA yesterday. As many of you know (but it’s not universally understood yet) each charging unit has 2 charging heads attached.
View attachment 13782

While almost charged, a Mercedes EQS pulled in next to me and proceeded to try to connect her car to the charger I was using. As it only functions with 1 vehicle at a time, it did not start to charge her car. So she hit the cancel button which ended my charging. Not a big deal for me as I was at 79% but my open question here is has anyone else run into others who don’t fully understand the full scene yet? Just because a charge unit has 2 heads doesn’t mean it charges 2 vehicles simultaneously. Filling up EV’s isn’t fully understood and may even differ by charging systems.
Any other experiences?
I'm curious to know what type of connector was on the other cable? Here the faster chargers are CCS on one side and CHAdeMO on the other. I imagine the EQS has a CCS.

·
Registered
1 Posts
IT was at the new EA chargers at Montgomery mall!
I encountered the exact same situation with Teslas at the exact same mall last Saturday. Every spot taken by Model 3s that were not plugged in. I was blown away by this. I drove out of my way to charge there, as the app said all of the chargers were available. I decided to pull up perpendicularly to two of the cars there, so I could start a charge w/o being in the space. No sooner had I started to charge, then one of the Tesla owners I was now blocking in came out of the mall. He mumbled something about the station not working for him when he arrived, no apology, and of course expecting me to move my car so he could get on with his day. Had he not had a young child with him, I might have lost it. But, I kept my cool and simply stated, "It's not right to use these as a parking spot, regardless. But you must know that." I stopped my charge, let him out, and then parked to finish my charge. Not sure there is much more to be done about this until regulations catch up with this new kind of infrastructure and bone-heads like this can be ticketed or towed. In my four months of ownership, this was the first time I'd ever experienced this. I was hoping it was an anomaly until I read HernameisElektra's post.

·
Registered
2022 Polestar 2 pilot, plus, performance, magnesium.
278 Posts
I encountered the exact same situation with Teslas at the exact same mall last Saturday. Every spot taken by Model 3s that were not plugged in. I was blown away by this. I drove out of my way to charge there, as the app said all of the chargers were available. I decided to pull up perpendicularly to two of the cars there, so I could start a charge w/o being in the space. No sooner had I started to charge, then one of the Tesla owners I was now blocking in came out of the mall. He mumbled something about the station not working for him when he arrived, no apology, and of course expecting me to move my car so he could get on with his day. Had he not had a young child with him, I might have lost it. But, I kept my cool and simply stated, "It's not right to use these as a parking spot, regardless. But you must know that." I stopped my charge, let him out, and then parked to finish my charge. Not sure there is much more to be done about this until regulations catch up with this new kind of infrastructure and bone-heads like this can be ticketed or towed. In my four months of ownership, this was the first time I'd ever experienced this. I was hoping it was an anomaly until I read HernameisElektra's post.
That's when I was there! I was livid! I drive all the way there to check them out and charge and shop and all were being used I should have done what you did.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Why do the stations have two cables if you can only use one at a time, and they are both the same type?

·
Registered
8,206 Posts
This is all really horrible. These parking spots need to be even less convenient so these self-entitled a**holes park somewhere else. At MM it's frequently hard to find any good parking but there is simply no excuse for an EV driver.

As for the EQS driver at MM, they are likely an even more self-entitled and rich a**hole who just started driving an EV and thinks the world is their own. 🤬

·
Registered
8,206 Posts
Charging stations should make you choose a one time pin at the beginning of your session so people can mess with your charging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting concept. Although I'd like to know how the cable reached all the way to another parking spot not directly in front of the charger? I can barely get the cable to my car when I'm properly parked.

·
Registered
97 Posts
This is all really horrible. These parking spots need to be even less convenient so these self-entitled a**holes park somewhere else. At MM it's frequently hard to find any good parking but there is simply no excuse for an EV driver.

As for the EQS driver at MM, they are likely an even more self-entitled and rich a**hole who just started driving an EV and thinks the world is their own. 🤬
To be fair, I could see how someone who just purchased an electric could be confused, thinking both handles could be used on the same machine (since gas pumps work under a similar premise). My first day out with my Polestar, I stood in front of an EvGo box for far too long, looking like a lost, confused child before I eventually figured it out. But that was on me for not doing my research.

The majority of tesla owners, like their lord & savior, are just entitled assholes... The living embodiment of that South Park "fart huffing" episode.

·
Registered
California
1,400 Posts
To be fair, I could see how someone who just purchased an electric could be confused, thinking both handles could be used on the same machine (since gas pumps work under a similar premise).
To add to this — this is exactly how a lot of Level 2 chargers work. ChargePoint chargers all around here, for example, have two cables from one box and both will work simultaneously.

·
Registered
California
1,400 Posts
Not DCFC though.
I’m aware (I did specify “Level 2” after all!), but I think it’s a bit much to expect every possible EV driver to intuit that and have it in mind at all times.

Don’t get me wrong — I’d be pissed if someone cancelled my DCFC session. But I think the american EV infrastructure is still more “wild west” than “these rules are so clear everyone should just follow them!”. There’s not a whole lot at EA stations that make clear why there are multiple cables.

·
Registered
2022 LRSM Thunder/Slate/Plus/Hitch
686 Posts
People full of entitlement do exist among EV users … no different than other groups of drivers.

The guy lying about the charger not working for him, well …. If it didn’t work than get the hell out of there, because it’s not a parking spot and your BS is embarrassing. Typically, where I live he could get a ticket at many DCFC (chances are low I know…), as you must be present in or around the vehicle during a session.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts