Polestar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

This evening I've had lots of trouble getting the car to shake hands with my home Ohme charger. I was about to give up when I remembered that people had talked about needing to support the cable, so I then inserted the connector and actively pushed upwards on it while supporting the cable. It worked.

Is this a one off that I should be reporting to PS CS? Have others had this? Is it just poor connectors?

Is there likely to ever be a fix??

Thanks...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Definitely disconcerting... As someone who is having an Ohme tethered wall box installed tomorrow, I am also very interested to find out the answers this.

Forgot to add that the above referenced info is in the stickie faq to this forum (hopefully indicating it only needs to be supported during the initial handshake):

• When plugging into a rapid charger with a heavy cable, hold/support the cable while the initial connection takes place to ensure it starts charging properly; failed "handshake" with the charger seems to be down to this

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,867 Posts
A.c. charging through the Type 2 connector doesn't "handshake" with the charger in the same way that the d.c. rapid charging (CCS) systems do; however there is some cable and earth connection quality checking that goes on, so if something's not quite tightly in, this might fail. The Zoe, for instance, is particularly picky over the charger having a good earth. So although it's not quite the same as supporting a heavy d.c. CCS charging cable, the end result is much the same (a good firm connection is better than one gently pushed in!).

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hi all

This evening I've had lots of trouble getting the car to shake hands with my home Ohme charger. I was about to give up when I remembered that people had talked about needing to support the cable, so I then inserted the connector and actively pushed upwards on it while supporting the cable. It worked.

Is this a one off that I should be reporting to PS CS? Have others had this? Is it just poor connectors?

Is there likely to ever be a fix??

Thanks...
Have you updated the OHME app yet? A new version came out today, might or might not be related.

·
Registered
Polestar 2
20 Posts
My Ohme cable just plugs in normally, no pushing up or other shenanigans required.

Reactions: exoexo

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did update the ohme app, but thanks.

I'm loathe to take this issue back to PS CS because it's a clear route for them to blame the ohme plug, but I will if I have to. I'll see how I get on over the next week or two...

·
Registered
534 Posts
The only time I had a problem was when the bit of black connector which keeps the DC port cover connected to the car had wedged itself up and interfered with getting the Ohme plugged in all the way.

·
Registered
Non PP, Midnight, Load Bars
138 Posts
I had the same issues that were traced to the onboard charger. It has been replaced. DC charging was no problem at all. Only AC. At its worse it took 8 attempts to get a charge going, then there was no telling when it would stop charging. I hope to get the car back today after recall, software, onboard charger replacement and checking on a headlight issue.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had the same issues that were traced to the onboard charger. It has been replaced. DC charging was no problem at all. Only AC. At its worse it took 8 attempts to get a charge going, then there was no telling when it would stop charging. I hope to get the car back today after recall, software, onboard charger replacement and checking on a headlight issue.
That sounds worrying! 🤨

Well I'm hoping it isn't that because doing what I said above seemed to be the answer last night, and it did actually charger to 90% as set in the car

·
Registered
Non PP, Midnight, Load Bars
138 Posts
UPDATE. Just got back from the garage with my car. The recall and software were done as well as investigation of a headlight issue and replacement of the onboard charger. The charger replacement was due to constant AC charge problems.
Just for your info, got home, plugged in, amazing, car connected (fast) and went from yellow to green in a few seconds. This has NEVER happened before on AC using any cable. Needless to say, i am pleased.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
UPDATE. Just got back from the garage with my car. The recall and software were done as well as investigation of a headlight issue and replacement of the onboard charger. The charger replacement was due to constant AC charge problems.
Just for your info, got home, plugged in, amazing, car connected (fast) and went from yellow to green in a few seconds. This has NEVER happened before on AC using any cable. Needless to say, i am pleased.
Thanks... that might be useful to me too!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts