Polestar Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have lost the ability to increase the charging above 6 Amps on the main display. I used to be able to increase to 32 Amps.
Anyone else got this issue?

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
There is a solution to this problem posted somewhere around here. Have you tried resetting? (Long hold the home button.)

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Ignore it ... it will still charge at 32A's as long as it was set to 32A before.

In a day to it will just work again.

The only problem is if you need to use the 3 Pin and set to 9-10A etc.. to restrict it, but other than that it will work at max current you can give it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ignore it ... it will still charge at 32A's as long as it was set to 32A before.

The only problem is if you need to use the 3 Pin and set to 9-10A etc.. to restrict it, but other than that it will work at max current you can give it.
Yes, I have just checked and the amps on the dash are still at 31/32 .
I suppose this will be sorted in the next software release. I have the latest at present but the car is going into my local Volvo dealer to sort the 4g and Wi-Fi on Thursday so will check then.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I don't think there is a fix for it ... it just happens then clears itself.

Like I say the only time it's annoying is if you want to restrict it for some reason. (like at a caravan using a 3pin.)

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,877 Posts
Normally resetting the infotainment system does seem to fix this - see the Frequently Asked Questions post at the top of the forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There is a solution to this problem posted somewhere around here. Have you tried resetting? (Long hold the home button.)
I had the same problem with my home charger where that setting was throttling down my charging speed. I did this and it immediately worked where I was getting the full Amps.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Normally resetting the infotainment system does seem to fix this - see the Frequently Asked Questions post at the top of the forum.
Its the first thing I tried, I will give it another go when back in the car.
Thanks for all of your help again.

·
Registered
293 Posts

When using a three-pin, why do you need to restrict it to 10 amps. It will only charge at 10 amps maximum. The only need to restrict it is if you have to go down to a lower charge rate because of some inadequate wiring.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have the exact same issue since about 2 weeks, for no apparent reasons. I have tried resetting the infotainment system 3 times, I left the car alone for 4 days (not plugged in) but still I have the 6A greyed out and cannot change it :(
However, it is indeed apparently not doing anything as the car is charging as previously (it was always set to 32A) on both AC and DC. Just a strange behaviour from the software and I wonder what can trigger this :unsure:.

·
Super Moderator
1,357 Posts
When using a three-pin, why do you need to restrict it to 10 amps. It will only charge at 10 amps maximum. The only need to restrict it is if you have to go down to a lower charge rate because of some inadequate wiring.
Yep, a camp site or something would be the only time I could ever imagine changing that setting.

·
Super Moderator
2,877 Posts
Or using an extension lead. Definitely not safe to use an extension lead at 10A (the plugs and sockets are likely to overheat, had this myself) but if you can reduce the current to 6A then you're normally quite safe. That said, charging at 6A would take more than two entire days to recharge the battery!

·
Super Moderator
1,357 Posts
Bit of a generalisation that. Not all extension leads are created equal!

There are indeed a lot of crappy ones out there, but there are plenty of decent ones that will handle 10A continuous.

·
Super Moderator
2,877 Posts
Yep. I thought that too. It happily took 10A when I was daily charging my Ampera when we moved house, until over time the heat cycling caused by the plug and socket heating up and cooling down on each charge caused the screws to work slighly loose and the plug to melt onto the socket. That was an industrial 16A cable. Believe me, it's just not worth it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yep, a camp site or something would be the only time I could ever imagine changing that setting.
I do wonder when camping sites will catch on to this. Leaving the car plugged in 24/7 at 6 amps would be drastically more expensive for them.

One French site I went to was proud they could offer an upgrade from their standard 2 amps to 4 amps. Not enough to run the induction hob on its lowest setting :(

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yep. I thought that too. It happily took 10A when I was daily charging my Ampera when we moved house, until over time the heat cycling caused by the plug and socket heating up and cooling down on each charge caused the screws to work slighly loose and the plug to melt onto the socket. That was an industrial 16A cable. Believe me, it's just not worth it.
An Ampera, those were the days 👍

·
Super Moderator
2,877 Posts
It's surprising how many people on here (percentage-wise) had, or still have, an Ampera / Chevrolet Volt! Seems to have been a route many (actual) early adopters took into EVs. I know these days EV drivers often look down on PHEVs but the Ampera was the first real self-charging plug-in hybrid back in 2011 and it was a tremendous, one-way test into pure electric driving. It was also brilliantly reliable (apart from the gearbox bearing problem, if you were unlucky) - in 5 years and 50k miles I had just one single problem, which needed a replacement battery charge unit, right at the end of ownership. Only now are PHEV manufacturers catching onto the self-charging PHEV technology (e.g. as now used by Renault in the Clio and Capture amongst others), just as it's becoming redundant. Anyway, sorry, apologies for a little detour on the thread!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts