Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Polestar 2; Magnesium; slate; non-PP; 19"; towbar
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this has all been covered previously but I’m new to EVs and also to using a discussion forum. Things moved fast: I had a test drive on 9 December, ordered on 11 December and delivery date is 14 January. I’d be grateful if you with experience could give some clarification on cables and charging. I did some searching on the forum but didn’t find the answers I sought.

The Polestar 2 is supplied with two cables. I understand that one has a 13-amp plug for a standard UK socket, but it’ll be very slow.

Can someone please explain simply the uses and limitations of the other one supplied? “Cable for AC charging station: 4.5m, Mode 3, Type 2 standard EU connector, IEC 3P 400V 16A 11kW.”

I guess that this is for use with “Public” charging stations. With the £450 reward credit my priority is to use those on the Polar/bpulse network, and there are two nearby.

One has 7.2 kW chargers with Type 2 Socket. Will the supplied cable work with them?

The other has a 43 kW Type 2 socket. Will the supplied cable work with that? If so, how many kW would it deliver?

The second also has a 50 kW DC Combo Type 2 charger. Does that have a cable attached that would connect to the car, so I don't use my own cable?

Does this cable work with a home wall box? Does it have the right connector? As it's rated at 16A presumably it would only deliver 3.7 kW instead of the 7.5 kW which home chargers are designed to supply. Like most UK homes we have only a single-phase supply.

If the supplied cable won't do any of these, what cable do I need to buy? Are there any available at the Polestar shop?

I need to install a home charger. Would it be better to buy one that is tethered, with its own cable if the one supplied isn't suitable?

Many thanks in anticipation. I feel that I shouldn’t need to ask these questions if Polestar provided appropriate information to new users.

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
1,856 Posts
Apologies if this has all been covered previously but I’m new to EVs and also to using a discussion forum. Things moved fast: I had a test drive on 9 December, ordered on 11 December and delivery date is 14 January. I’d be grateful if you with experience could give some clarification on cables and charging. I did some searching on the forum but didn’t find the answers I sought.

The Polestar 2 is supplied with two cables. I understand that one has a 13-amp plug for a standard UK socket, but it’ll be very slow.

Can someone please explain simply the uses and limitations of the other one supplied? “Cable for AC charging station: 4.5m, Mode 3, Type 2 standard EU connector, IEC 3P 400V 16A 11kW.”

I guess that this is for use with “Public” charging stations. With the £450 reward credit my priority is to use those on the Polar/bpulse network, and there are two nearby.

One has 7.2 kW chargers with Type 2 Socket. Will the supplied cable work with them?

The other has a 43 kW Type 2 socket. Will the supplied cable work with that? If so, how many kW would it deliver?

The second also has a 50 kW DC Combo Type 2 charger. Does that have a cable attached that would connect to the car, so I don't use my own cable?

Does this cable work with a home wall box? Does it have the right connector? As it's rated at 16A presumably it would only deliver 3.7 kW instead of the 7.5 kW which home chargers are designed to supply. Like most UK homes we have only a single-phase supply.

If the supplied cable won't do any of these, what cable do I need to buy? Are there any available at the Polestar shop?

I need to install a home charger. Would it be better to buy one that is tethered, with its own cable if the one supplied isn't suitable?

Many thanks in anticipation. I feel that I shouldn’t need to ask these questions if Polestar provided appropriate information to new users.
Welcome @Kingfisher
From my experience I wouldn’t worry too much about the cables supplied. Public chargers are almost always tethered (have their own cables attached). And I’d suggest getting a tethered charger for home/work. It saves a lot of faffing about.
You must have really enjoyed that test drive. It blew me away too!
Good luck!

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Hi and welcome.

AC charging via the the Type 2:-

The supplied 13A 3 Pin is 2.6kw.

The other is a 16A Three Phase, up to a max 11kw.

Even if you plug into a 22 or 43kw you will only get 11kw as this is the max the car can take.

Problem is most of the UK uses a 7kW which is 32A Single Phase.

So you have to buy either a 32A single phase or three phase cable,I f you plan to use a lot of 7kW chargers.

50kWh or higher uses a DC CCS connection and all these will be tethered cables so you don't need to worry.

Generally if you charge at home get a tethered connection and use DC chargers on the go long drives.

It will all depend on how you will charge your car and how often you are away from a home chargers.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Ohh and there are other threads about this on this forum.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,867 Posts
Hi @Kingfisher and a very warm welcome to the forum! Your questions are all entirely sensible and we'll all be happy to help.

Firstly - @hedwri will love your picture as he's a very keen (professional) photographer who has taken some stunning shots of kingfishers. I'm rather a fan of them too but have no photographic ability! Anyway, to take things in order...

Correct. This will take a maximum of about 10A from a standard 3-pin household socket. If you are unsure how good the socket is, you can limit the maximum current in the Charging screen on the infotainment system. 10A is 2.4kW for reference, 8A is like a 2kW kettle or two-bar electric fire.

This is a 3-phase 16A cable. This means (as you correctly deduce below) that each of the 3 phases can take up to 16A, which means that on a single phase supply such as a home wallbox or almost all 7kW public chargers, you will only get 16A, or about 3.6kW or thereabouts. The Polestar can actually take up to 11kW if connected to a three phase supply, or up to 7.2kW if connected to a single phase supply through a 32A cable. Therefore if you think you will frequently charge on a 7kW charger when out and about, it's worth getting a 32A 3 phase cable as this will also cover 11kW three phase chargers.

Yes, this is for use on public 7kW or 11kW a.c. charging posts.

Yes, but only at 3.6kW as above.

All rapid chargers, i.e. those that are capable of charging at 43kW or above, have tethered cables on the chargers themselves, so you don't need to use your own. The Polestar can charge at up to 11kW from a Type 2 a.c. charger, so even though the charger might be capable of 43kW, you'll only ever get up to 11kW.

Yes, there is a tethered cable as above. Depending on a number of factors, the most important being the temperature of the battery (it can't charge very fast when cold), and how full the battery is (the "state of charge" or SoC in %), it will be able to charge right up to around 130kW or the maximum that the charger can supply.

Yes, but as you rightly say it will only deliver about 3.7kW (or 3.6kW or thereabouts as mains voltage is often only about 220V-230V instead of 240V when it actually reaches the car charging circuitry).

Something like this 32A 3-phase cable would work: Gen3.2 3 Phase Charging Cable Type 2 to Type 2
Others have tried similar ones. The main thing is to get a solid one via recommendation if you can. Don't buy a cheap one online from a dodgy Chinese ebay shop or AliExpress!

That is one of the oldest arguments within the EV community! A tethered one means that you don't need to coil a dirty, wet cable away in the car after each charge, nor get it out again next time you want to charge it at home. However some people don't like the look of the cable being coiled up (i.e. it being visible) and therefore go for a socketed charger (no cable supplied) and use a cable like the one above. Some posher chargers such as the Andersen EV Charger have a very smart cover that contains the cable inside.

One more point about charging. Currently, the Polestar doesn't have support for timed charging, in other words it charges whenever a cable is connected that has power. This doesn't allow you to take advantage of cheap overnight tariffs such as Octopus Go, or of special tariffs that vary the price to take advantage of (e.g.) excess wind or solar being generated, such as Octopus Agile. A "smart charge point" such as the Zappi charger can do this, or you can use a "dumb" charger (which is just a socket with RCD protection really) and use a cable from Ohme which has a communications system inside to receive updates from the special timed tariffs, or can be programmed to come on/off at particular times of the day or night. Which you get is up to you; the car will gain timed charging anyway during the summer, so whether it's worth spending £300-£400 on a special Ohme cable, or similar premium for a smart charging wallbox, instead of waiting for the car to support it, is up to you to decide.

Hope this all helps. Please feel free to ask away as we enjoy helping people new to EVs! A bit of demystification always helps :).

There's also the search box (top dead centre) which is helpful for locating threads that might have slipped off the front page list.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Mine only came with one cable, is one missing or is that a US thing?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome @Kingfisher
From my experience I wouldn’t worry too much about the cables supplied. Public chargers are almost always tethered (have their own cables attached). And I’d suggest getting a tethered charger for home/work. It saves a lot of faffing about.
You must have really enjoyed that test drive. It blew me away too!
Good luck!
Many thanks to you and other responders for the welcome and taking the time to respond so promptly and comprehensively. So glad that I took the plunge! The conclusion seems to be just to go for a tethered home charger (single phase). Presumably that will have a 32A cable to deliver 7kW or thereabouts and the right connector.

Yes we enjoyed the test drive. It was mainly to confirm the impressions I had from watching many reviews on YouTube, and to check that the seats were comfortable, as I have a back problem. We needed to try one out before investing so much money! We'd decided early in 2020 to replace our 2008 diesel with an EV in early 2021. Criteria were range >200 miles, price <£50,000 and as similar to my BMW 320d touring (which I love) as possible. Test-drove a Long-range Model 3 in August. Great in many ways, but there are well known issues with build quality, the interior was no match for the BMW and I'd miss the rear door. However, would have gone for it if nothing better were available. The Polestar 2 was the obvious contender, but in summer it seemed that test drives weren't available in the UK. I checked early December and was able to book one at Farnborough the next day. It met all expectations (except for the small back window), and we like the driver display and heated steering wheel. As we rarely drive more than 200 miles in one day the Polestar should suit us better that the Tesla 95% of the time, despite the shorter range.

I'll reply to some other responses below.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi and welcome.

AC charging via the the Type 2:-

The supplied 13A 3 Pin is 2.6kw.

The other is a 16A Three Phase, up to a max 11kw.

Even if you plug into a 22 or 43kw you will only get 11kw as this is the max the car can take.

Problem is most of the UK uses a 7kW which is 32A Single Phase.

So you have to buy either a 32A single phase or three phase cable,I f you plan to use a lot of 7kW chargers.

50kWh or higher uses a DC CCS connection and all these will be tethered cables so you don't need to worry.

Generally if you charge at home get a tethered connection and use DC chargers on the go long drives.

It will all depend on how you will charge your car and how often you are away from a home chargers.
Thanks. I expect to charge at home most of the time. We hope to have a solar PV array installed before the summer. Will probably make use of a nearby Polar/bpulse charger given the £450 reward credit in the short term until we have a home charger and a new smart meter installed and go on an off-peak tariff.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ohh and there are other threads about this on this forum.
Thanks. I did look before posting the questions. I couldn't find the answers. They also tend to be (understandably) complicated by posts from members with access to a three phase supply or in other countries with different home connections.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
No worries, there are a lot of posts around here about this, so finding the ones that answer you exact question can be hard to find.

Here is another part of the conversation / topic that might interest you.

Basically unless you plan to use or end up using a lot of 7kW UK untethered chargers, you have all what you need.

If you do need to use a lot of 7kW untethered chargers, then you need to buy either:-

32A Single Phase Type 2 to Type 2 cable, in addition to the two you get with the car.

Or

32A Three Phase Type 2 to Type 2 cable, to replace the one Polestar give you.

-----

Any tethered home charger you buy will have the appropriate cable supplied with it.

So if you buy a 7kW charger for home the cable will be suitable as long as its a Type 2 connector.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Hi @Kingfisher and a very warm welcome to the forum! Your questions are all entirely sensible and we'll all be happy to help.

Firstly - @hedwri will love your picture as he's a very keen (professional) photographer who has taken some stunning shots of kingfishers. I'm rather a fan of them too but have no photographic ability! Anyway, to take things in order...

Correct. This will take a maximum of about 10A from a standard 3-pin household socket. If you are unsure how good the socket is, you can limit the maximum current in the Charging screen on the infotainment system. 10A is 2.4kW for reference, 8A is like a 2kW kettle or two-bar electric fire.

This is a 3-phase 16A cable. This means (as you correctly deduce below) that each of the 3 phases can take up to 16A, which means that on a single phase supply such as a home wallbox or almost all 7kW public chargers, you will only get 16A, or about 3.6kW or thereabouts. The Polestar can actually take up to 11kW if connected to a three phase supply, or up to 7.2kW if connected to a single phase supply through a 32A cable. Therefore if you think you will frequently charge on a 7kW charger when out and about, it's worth getting a 32A 3 phase cable as this will also cover 11kW three phase chargers.

Yes, this is for use on public 7kW or 11kW a.c. charging posts.

Yes, but only at 3.6kW as above.

All rapid chargers, i.e. those that are capable of charging at 43kW or above, have tethered cables on the chargers themselves, so you don't need to use your own. The Polestar can charge at up to 11kW from a Type 2 a.c. charger, so even though the charger might be capable of 43kW, you'll only ever get up to 11kW.

Yes, there is a tethered cable as above. Depending on a number of factors, the most important being the temperature of the battery (it can't charge very fast when cold), and how full the battery is (the "state of charge" or SoC in %), it will be able to charge right up to around 130kW or the maximum that the charger can supply.

Yes, but as you rightly say it will only deliver about 3.7kW (or 3.6kW or thereabouts as mains voltage is often only about 220V-230V instead of 240V when it actually reaches the car charging circuitry).

Something like this 32A 3-phase cable would work: Gen3.2 3 Phase Charging Cable Type 2 to Type 2
Others have tried similar ones. The main thing is to get a solid one via recommendation if you can. Don't buy a cheap one online from a dodgy Chinese ebay shop or AliExpress!

That is one of the oldest arguments within the EV community! A tethered one means that you don't need to coil a dirty, wet cable away in the car after each charge, nor get it out again next time you want to charge it at home. However some people don't like the look of the cable being coiled up (i.e. it being visible) and therefore go for a socketed charger (no cable supplied) and use a cable like the one above. Some posher chargers such as the Andersen EV Charger have a very smart cover that contains the cable inside.

One more point about charging. Currently, the Polestar doesn't have support for timed charging, in other words it charges whenever a cable is connected that has power. This doesn't allow you to take advantage of cheap overnight tariffs such as Octopus Go, or of special tariffs that vary the price to take advantage of (e.g.) excess wind or solar being generated, such as Octopus Agile. A "smart charge point" such as the Zappi charger can do this, or you can use a "dumb" charger (which is just a socket with RCD protection really) and use a cable from Ohme which has a communications system inside to receive updates from the special timed tariffs, or can be programmed to come on/off at particular times of the day or night. Which you get is up to you; the car will gain timed charging anyway during the summer, so whether it's worth spending £300-£400 on a special Ohme cable, or similar premium for a smart charging wallbox, instead of waiting for the car to support it, is up to you to decide.

Hope this all helps. Please feel free to ask away as we enjoy helping people new to EVs! A bit of demystification always helps :).

There's also the search box (top dead centre) which is helpful for locating threads that might have slipped off the front page list.
Thank you so much for answering each question directly. (I have saved your replies to a WORD document for easy access). My one EV-owning friend warned my that the 13 Amp 3-pin cable should be for emergency use only, as it puts a strain on the home ring main: the plug will get warm! Our house wiring is 40 years old. Thanks for the tip about reducing the current. He also suggested a Zappi, as we plan to have a solar PV array installed soon. It looks like a single-phase with tethered cable would suit us best. I searched here for Zappi and found a thread so I'll look to see what people's experience is.

We are fortunate to have a length of old water-cress bed in our garden fed by springs in chalk. It teems with stickleback, we've ensured suitable perches for Kingfishers and we see one at some time most days. I'm not a serious photographer by like to record wildlife in the garden. Being so aware of the wonderful wildlife that we need to protect has been an added incentive to reduce our carbon emmissions: hence the EV, Solar, and hopefully a heat pump before next winter. As requested, here's the photo I use for my profile and a couple of others I took here.
Kingfisher portrait.jpg
C0188(2) yt.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
Oct '20 / VIN47xx. Void, Slate, 20"
554 Posts
Hi welcome @Kingfisher. 👋

I won’t go through all your questions because they look like they’ve been comprehensively answered.

Just wanted to add that the Andersen charger also has scheduled charging. It was expensive but looks and works ok!

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
A Zappi is a good choice if you have Solar installed and/or have a limited supply to your property, like old houses.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi welcome @Kingfisher. 👋

I won’t go through all your questions because they look like they’ve been comprehensively answered.

Just wanted to add that the Andersen charger also has scheduled charging. It was expensive but looks and works ok!
Thanks. I'll check it out.

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2
615 Posts
Hi @Kingfisher and great photos by the way. I can certainly recommend the Zappi as have their latest v2 unit in black. To benefit from the government grant you will also need to purchase the myenergi hub at the same time. This allows app access so you can plan scheduled charging and see how much you are drawing from the grid at any one time. The Zappi as you will know can also interface with solar and show what that power is being used.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,867 Posts
Stunning photos, you are extremely lucky! We have a little copse directly behind our house and are lucky enough to get all manner of birds on our feeders. Nuthatches are my particular favourite and it was so nice to see the adults bring the yearlings along for a training session on how to use our nut feeders!

So back to the main reason for the thread - yes, a tethered 32A charger sounds like what you need, and if you're after a solar system too, Zappi is the current darling of the EV brethren.

I also have a bad back (hereditary problem in my family!) and have found the Polestar very easy to get very comfortable indeed in. It's also very helpful having it automatically memorise the seating position for each key so if you have another regular driver and they have a completely different seat preference, they can have things set differently and it will automatically change depending on which key is on the driver's side when the car is unlocked.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts