Polestar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning All.
I have standard Polestar2 in Midnight. I have had the car for about a month. Last week i had it Ceramic coated to preserve the paintwork. Worth the money i think.

Problems so far include..
  1. two resets of bluetooth due to lack connectivity.
  2. reverse camera "not available" at varying times
  3. very erratic charging, AC charge always takes two or three attempts to get going. Car is booked in for this problem however the earliest it can be seen is 17th November.
  4. Perversely, Ecotricity charging (DC 50kw) works perfectly. Had an i3 for 3 years and had many problems with Ecotricity.
  5. No Jack or First aid kit at delivery. Apparently they will be sent later.
Outside of these issues the car is great. I am very happy with my purchase.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Very nice, but your white balance seems to be off ;)

My ceramic coating is scheduled for Thursday.
Yeah... I was thinking that that didn't look like midnight to me!

I think I'll pay the considerable extra bucks for the ceramic coating... I bet years from now, I won't regret it.

Reactions: krheinwald

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah... I was thinking that that didn't look like midnight to me!

I think I'll pay the considerable extra bucks for the ceramic coating... I bet years from now, I won't regret it.
Its Midnight (blue, not sure what they called the black) however depending on sunlight or overcast it looks many different colours. worst of all at night in our dark car park it almost disappears. Had a panic after a few days ownership that it had been stolen :). I did walk past it once in an underground car park as the very yellow lights made it look very different again. Another plus, the professional Detailer who coated the car mentioned that the base paintwork was very good for new car. He shared some horror stories of other manufacturers cars default paint. I had a 5 year coating done (UK, rain, salted roads etc).
Enjoying the experience so far. Very comfortable on long runs, good sound system (when bluetooth works), good driver assists. The consumption could be better however i am still learning how to drive this economically. It took me a month or 2 in the i3 to really get the range.

·
Registered
Void Polestar 2 2020
45 Posts
I’ve had issues with charging. Certainly handshaking can take an age only for “error” to appear. I’ve waited 5 minutes or more for charging to start after plugging in.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My issues were all, plug in, wait, red light and "error, disconnect" on the dash. repeat two or three (mostly three) times and it would eventually work. I have tired Pod Point, Ionity, Ecotricity and Chargemaster. As i mentioned only DC 50kw worked first time no issues. Has anybody tried any different cables? So far i have only used those supplied with the car.

·
Registered
Void Polestar 2 2020
45 Posts
....I’ve not used the cables that came with the car at all! Mainly cos they’re useless

(Supplying a 16A cable is just stupid)
At home I use a 32A 7kW 10m cable
Away I use a tethered type 2 cable with AC destination charger
I have charged with a Tesla UMC EVSE (sort of a granny charger) with a 16A commando connector on them (my plan B when type 2 doesn’t work)

today was an improvement it actually started charging long after the dashboard screen had gone blank -confirmed by a flashing green charge flap light

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
667 Posts
Please excuse me if this has been covered.
I will have a tethered 22kw zappi at work, and I just bought today a Type 2 32a for when I'm using public chargers.
Do I need to carry more than 1 cable?
BTW the cable I got today is coiled. I thought it would be easier to store in the car & keep off the floor when charging.

·
Registered
Void Polestar 2 2020
45 Posts
Possibly yes....
As above if your 32A cable is 3 phase you’ll get 7kW from a 7kW charger and 11 kw from your 22kW charger (the polestar can’t use all 22kW) However your cable, if it’s single phase will only charge at 7kW from your work charger-not the end of the world and 7kW at a 7kW charger. The polestar useless charger will charge at 11kW at work but only 3 kW from a 7kW charger.

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
667 Posts
Possibly yes....
As above if your 32A cable is 3 phase you’ll get 7kW from a 7kW charger and 11 kw from your 22kW charger (the polestar can’t use all 22kW) However your cable, if it’s single phase will only charge at 7kW from your work charger-not the end of the world and 7kW at a 7kW charger. The polestar useless charger will charge at 11kW at work but only 3 kW from a 7kW charger.
Thanks.
Work charger is tethered.
Balls, the one I bought is single phase. What will it pull from a 50kw public charger?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thanks.
Work charger is tethered.
Balls, the one I bought is single phase. What will it pull from a 50kw public charger?
7kw, if you use that cable, but all fast chargers will have their own type 2 (or chademo) connection, so you'll get 50KW DC charging

·
Registered
195 Posts
you could just carry the single phase one and that should get you 7kw from both 7kw chargers and 11kw chargers. I don't see many 11kw chargers about so its up to you whether you carry the supplied 16A 3P too to get 11kw at 11kw untethered stations. DC and 43kw AC are all tethered so need to worry about cables for those. Note the 43kw AC will max out at 11kw which is Polestar maximum AC.

The 3P 32A could replace both cables, but its quite thick and cumbersome so you haven't made a completely wrong decision going for 1P 32A

·
Registered
196 Posts
My issues were all, plug in, wait, red light and "error, disconnect" on the dash. repeat two or three (mostly three) times and it would eventually work. I have tired Pod Point, Ionity, Ecotricity and Chargemaster. As i mentioned only DC 50kw worked first time no issues. Has anybody tried any different cables? So far i have only used those supplied with the car.
Hi. I know you have had an i3 so charging should be second nature now. But I had that problem when I first tried to charge the Polestar using my home Zappi tethered unit. I now take my time in pushing the connector in firmly, squarely and ensuring the top sort of clicks in place. I have not had any problems since. Could just be lucky I guess.🤔

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hi. Welcome @MarkG47 . Car looks good!

I have charged on 2 different public DC CCS chargers so far. Ecotricity worked first time and I was getting about 45kW (but was free as the machine wasn’t on the network). Ionity I had to give two goes before it worked but then was fine at about 100kW. Have charged on the granny charger a couple of times and its always worked fine (10A / 2.3kW).

I’m getting a tethered Andersen charger installed in a week or two. And have ordered a 3 phase 32A type 2 cable for when I’m out and about.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Its Midnight (blue, not sure what they called the black) however depending on sunlight or overcast it looks many different colours. worst of all at night in our dark car park it almost disappears. Had a panic after a few days ownership that it had been stolen :). I did walk past it once in an underground car park as the very yellow lights made it look very different again. Another plus, the professional Detailer who coated the car mentioned that the base paintwork was very good for new car. He shared some horror stories of other manufacturers cars default paint. I had a 5 year coating done (UK, rain, salted roads etc).
Enjoying the experience so far. Very comfortable on long runs, good sound system (when bluetooth works), good driver assists. The consumption could be better however i am still learning how to drive this economically. It took me a month or 2 in the i3 to really get the range.
Good to have a professional give a positive opinion on the factory paint quality.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts