Polestar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone in the know I could do with some charging advice please. I don't have a driveway so will only charge at work. It's offices with an industrial workshop so 3 phase electricity is available. In my position what would you opt for? I'm guessing 11 or 22kw? I've been quoted £480 for the prep work required pre-installation as we'd need a new fuse board.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The Polestar can only charge at 11kW, however the incremental cost of getting a 22kW charger will be tiny - probably nothing on the charger itself, and perhaps just a slightly higher cost on the installation cable.

So 22kW would make most sense - more future-proof. But 11kW would be fine.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. So public chargers which offer faster charging are a different ball game altogether then?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yep, totally different kettle of fish. Those are DC rapid chargers and cost thousands to install even a 'small' 50kW one - not to mention the fact that few locations would have sufficient capacity in their electrical supply. The PS2 can accept about 130kW on a DC rapid.

Max you can get on AC on the Polestar is 11kW.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have just got a Zappi at work connected to 3 phase. It can go up to 22kW but basically stops at 11kW.
I got the tethered cable one which has a 7m cable as I didn't want to keep opening the car to get the cable out.
Comes with an app to connect to base station linked to router so you can check charging from inside and you can set pin codes.
Cost under £1,000 fitted + VAT after taking into account Government Grant. Made in UK too.
Installer said they had done quite a few and it was one of the best as lots of features. Also unlike some it alters the load automatically so you don't blow everything if you say charge a forklift at the same time.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have just got a Zappi at work connected to 3 phase. It can go up to 22kW but basically stops at 11kW.
I got the tethered cable one which has a 7m cable as I didn't want to keep opening the car to get the cable out.
Comes with an app to connect to base station linked to router so you can check charging from inside and you can set pin codes.
Cost under £1,000 fitted + VAT after taking into account Government Grant. Made in UK too.
Installer said they had done quite a few and it was one of the best as lots of features. Also unlike some it alters the load automatically so you don't blow everything if you say charge a forklift at the same time.
Sounds great. Did you need any other prep work before the installer arrived?

·
Registered
17 Posts
No we were lucky as the main fuse box was on the same side of the building as the charger needed to go so a very easy installation for them but a thick cable. All done in the morning. Installers based in York (not sure where you are), they were very interested to see the car which arrived whilst they were installing.
Put mine on charge at around 10.00 this morning and 100% now from 80% (ready for Skye trip tomorrow).
Available in black surround or white.
20201009_120540_resized.jpg
20201009_120552_resized.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
We also had 3 phase to the building and it is only 5 years old so everything pretty new. We also have an electric forklift so have a charger for that too.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice job. I'll probably go for the same although I don't need a smart charger as such other than to qualify for the gov grant.
We're in a much older building. I'll have the charger just inside the roller shutter door. Can't leave anything nice outside here at night! The fuse box is the other side of the shutter so will need to go up over & down (15mtr in all).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sounds like you have got it covered. The zappi has been doing the job and although I have a bug on the app (which doesn't affect charging so not a biggie) it has great support through the forum.

With the zappi you also need to have a harvi connected to your incoming supply and the hub hired wired into your router. All three talk to each other through your Internet connection. I don't know if this info is of any use to you, but as you have mentioned you need all 3 for the OLEV grant. There are probably simpler alternatives but I couldn't be arsed to look through them so couldn't say.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes I have all 3. Be careful when comparing prices as some places list the parts separately and you need them all for the grant. I don't really need the app as car just outside office window and door anyway but its there if needed.
Zappi is also already set up so you can add solar power.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Heard the exact same one installed at work – 22 kW and works just fine with the Polestar, delivering 10.8 to 10.9 kW.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Got mine installed today. Popped into work on my day off to check it out. Seems like I’m getting the same levels of charge so I’m happy with that. Look forward to having a mess next week

1 - 18 of 18 Posts