Polestar Forum banner

Charging cable with industrial plug?

6K views 36 replies 15 participants last post by  alfredrapidly 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm lost in cable selection as an accessory cable for my new PS2 I'm just ordering...
Can someone guide me if I need a Public Charge Cable 2C / 6m / IEC 3P 400V 32A 11kW / Type 2 / Mode 3 (states industrial plug)?
And EV is budging, so I'm at a loss - would you invest in this cable? Is it enough to have the classic home charging cable and go to chargers offering 50kW which have attached cable?

What is your reasoning?

Many kudos.

#2 ·
The car comes with a 11kw/40amp cable just install a NEMA 14-50 outlet at your house and use that. Your guaranteed a full charge by morning almost all the time, just don't come home near dead at midnight it'll still be done by 8-9 in the morning still. You don't want to fast charge all the time will wear out the battery slightly faster. 11kw charging is perfect for everyones needs.

#6 ·
Ah okay, well stick with the 32 amp plug then if you have the ability. I always believed the slow charging is better as it's taking it's time to charge the battery. Slow and steady wins the race (keeps the battery safe longer). I use a 20/16 amp plug at home since it's my parents house and I'm moving out soon didn't need to pay so much for a 50 amp install. I usually plug up around 5 pm at 30% and it's done by the time I need to leave for work at 8:30

#7 ·
32A, 40A and even 48A (240VAC) are all "slow charging" and 32A vs 48A will make no difference in battery longevity.
Portable charge cord should be only 32A since it is fitted with a 14-50 which is the receptacle installed on both 40A and 50A circuits. I've never used it since I have hardwired EVSEs in my garage.

#13 ·
Hmm... I got even more confused :unsure:

These are the cable options from Polestar in Australia:

- Included: Cable for charging at home 7 m Mode 2 Type 1 IEC 1P 230V 10A 2.3kW

- Optional: Charging cable with industrial plug. Public Charge Cable 2C / 6m / IEC 3P 400V 32A 11kW / Type 2 / Mode 3

I'm not sure if I need this cable in Western Australia. I know public chargers in the bush are far between and not that frequent as on the East Coast. I believe most chargers >50kW (fastcharge) comes with fixed cables. The question here is how often will I come across the need for an industrial plug? It's about 1.200 Aussie Dollars, so I'd rather save the money for something more useful unless the risk is high that I end up with a BYO charger case scenario...

What is your take?

#15 ·
In the UK the car comes with 2 cables. One is used to plug into a Wall a charger or what some call an EVSE, this will accept up to 32amps and charge at up to 11kwh (3phase) or up to 7.4kwh (single phase). The second is a 16amp cable that has a 3 pin UK plug and will charge the car at a much slower rate. Most home chargers come with their own tethered cable so you may not even need one for the home.

The DC fast chargers come with a cable and normally have the CCS connector that majority of cars use or the CHADmo connector used by Japanese manufacturers.

The only time you will need your own cable is when plugging into public charger that is a slow charger or when charging at home. I don’t think you need to buy an additional cable, and if you do need a special one with a commander connector (industrial plug) or something else then get it after the car arrives, why waste money when you might not even need it.

#14 ·
Do the optional 11kw one if your pressed ab9ut always being full the next day. You can usually go a week before needing to recharge and be ready the next day for me I can go 10 days before getting to 10% but since I'm on a 16 amp charger and plug in @5pm it won't be ready till 10 am the next day.

#17 ·
Do the optional 11kw one
Please stop making comments about cables for a region you don’t know the local situation for.

- Included: Cable for charging at home 7 m Mode 2 Type 1 IEC 1P 230V 10A 2.3kW
This is the granny charger and comes with a standard 3-pin 10amp tail.

- Optional: Charging cable with industrial plug. Public Charge Cable 2C / 6m / IEC 3P 400V 32A 11kW / Type 2 / Mode 3
I wouldn’t buy this cable from Polestar. This is a type2-to-type2 cable, for the BYO cable chargers. If you do decide to get one of these cables it will be cheaper from other sources. I purchased a 5m 32A cable from EVSEAustralia for $249, Polestar’s is a ripoff.

just for those who aren’t from AU, this is the optional cable being mentioned

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Font Motor vehicle

#16 ·
I'm not sure how it is "down under", but sounds like your electricals are about the same as in Norway.

The industrial socket/cable can be used in Norway to draw more than 2.3 kW from a single 16A circuit, up to 3,7 kW. So it's the cheapest "legal" setup to charge at home. I have a wallbox delivering same output since I didn't do a 32A circuit to the outside and the cable for 32A is too thick for rewiring. So if you don't want to invest in a wallbox charger at home, this might be the way to go for you. 10 hrs charge is 50% on the P2.

The type 2 cable is used for wallbox chargers that don't come with a integrated cable or public chargers that are "Type 2 AC"
If you are planning on installing a wallbox at home, check if it comes with a cable, however the longer the cable, the more flexible you can charge. Can't park next to your charger, perhaps 7m or 10m does the trick.

For the included cable, or granny charger, it's "illegal" to use it sustained above 10A in Norway. So it's considered and named "emergency charger" here.
I would not rely on it for daily charging, it's very heavy as well and need support around the wall plug.

#24 · (Edited)
Hi,

I'm lost in cable selection as an accessory cable for my new PS2 I'm just ordering...
Can someone guide me if I need a Public Charge Cable 2C / 6m / IEC 3P 400V 32A 11kW / Type 2 / Mode 3 (states industrial plug)?
And EV is budging, so I'm at a loss - would you invest in this cable? Is it enough to have the classic home charging cable and go to chargers offering 50kW which have attached cable?

What is your reasoning?

Many kudos.
I am in Australia and have just come out of an MG ZS EV, which has a 44.5kW/h battery, a 260km range and a CCS2 combo. The charging is very similar to the Polestar 2, but with only a 7kW single phase onboard charger, rather than the 11kW three-phase charger the Polestar 2 has.

My observations follow as someone who used the car for 15-25km a day on average with an occasional 100km round trip in the metro region and a couple of longer road trips into regional Victoria.

I had a tethered Level 2 charger installed which could only supply about 20 amps (~4.8kW) due to switchboard limitations, so the car would comfortably charge to high SOC from 20-30% overnight. I hardly ever needed to plug it in, maybe once a fortnight, so I figured I could have gotten away with the normal 10amp "granny" charger, but I understand that can cause thermal issues on 10amp household circuits if used regularly.

I had a type2 to type 2 cable which came with the car, which I used at a local solar suppliers premises to get a free charge over a sunday afternoon at 7kW a couple of times, but when I travelled longer distances outside of metro areas I relied solely on the DC fast charging networks supplied by Chargefox and Evie, which have tethered CCS2 Combo connectors, so I did not need to use the type2-type2 cable.

There are places in regional Australia that use untethered chargers and I feel that is a compelling enough reason to have and carry a type-2 to type 2 cable. Many of them are three-phase and can supply 11kW at 16amps, which is what the Polestar 2 cable supports and can get a decent amount of charge into the car over a longer lunch or dinner etc.

Beware the public/industrial plug charging (type2-to-type2) cable that Polestar Australia sells actually has technical information listed that states it will only supply 16amps, which means on a single-phase untethered connection will only end up getting 3.6kW instead of 7kW you'd get with a 32amp cable, which is only going to get you 20km in range per hour of charging, so not very useful unless you're in a real bind.

Charging assistant

So, with that clanger of a limitation in mind (and being made $1,200 lighter for the privilege), instead of buying the Polestar one, have a look at three-phase 32amp type2-to-type2 cables from evse.com.au, Jetcharge.com.au, evchargers.com.au or similar. Make sure it's Australian standards (to avoid warranty or insurance issues). Expect to pay $250-$300 for a 5m cable, more for longer.

I think I paid about $270 from Jetcharge and mine came with a carry bag, Aus standards and tested and tagged. I think at that price, given it can provide AC charging up to 11kW at some regional locations and 7kW if only single phase, it's a worthwhile tool in the toolbox when travelling regionally. Also good to get free charges in a reasonable amount of time from some metro locations.

p.s for our American friends, all amperage and kW outputs listed above are predicated on a 240v standard used on domestic supply here

#26 ·
So, with that clanger of a limitation in mind (and being made $1,200 lighter for the privilege), instead of buying the Polestar one, have a look at three-phase 32amp type2-to-type2 cables from evse.com.au, Jetcharge.com.au, evchargers.com.au or similar. Make sure it's Australian standards (to avoid warranty or insurance issues). Expect to pay $250-$300 for a 5m cable, more for longer.
I got mine from EVSE and it was $250 for 5m and is 32a, so yeah I definitely wouldn't even look at the Polestar one.

#27 ·
Thank you @jp7 and @lilstevie!

I appreciate your answer. It does feel quite steep at 1200 for just a cable!
I'll stick to the one included and get one of the suggested for the eventuality that I end up being outside the grid of the tethered "fast chargers".

WA doesn't have the same infrastructure as the rest of Australia. We are a tad slow here I believe :giggle:

Again, thanks for taking your time answering.

#31 ·
I’ve tried looking for additional adapters but couldn’t find any from Volvo or Polestar. Your best bet is either a 14-50R to 6-50P adapter to utilize the existing plug or to switch that wall outlet to a 14-50R and leave the neutral contact disconnected. As far as I know all car chargers do not utilize the neutral line (because they don’t need the 120v tap). Obviously this isn’t up to code, but it would work fine. You will have to limit the charging in the car to 32amps to not blow your breaker.

#34 ·
Hi,

What is your reasoning?

Many kudos.
It really depends on how many situations you want to be covered for. Ideally you'd want something like this: https://evchargers.com.au/product/portable-charger-3-phase-bundle/ as you'll be covered for any situation in Au. Many places to hook up to 3-phase if your stuck.

We'll probably purchase that at some point, but for now, just keeping a 5m type 2 to type 2 in the trunk for BYO AC chargers that are common at shopping centers.

I was really hoping that we had the modular barrel on the portable EVSE that comes on the US cars so they can switch out for a NEMA 14-50. I was going to just get a 14-50 tail and have electrician switch the plug for an Au 5-pin three phase.

#35 ·
It really depends on how many situations you want to be covered for. Ideally you'd want something like this: https://evchargers.com.au/product/portable-charger-3-phase-bundle/ as you'll be covered for any situation in Au. Many places to hook up to 3-phase if your stuck.
Can you get the original PS 3P-charger over there? ~500USD over here, the identical, Volvo-labeled charger is even ~50USD cheaper.
I use it stationary at home and as a mobile backup when traveling with a heavy duty extension cord and adapters for all relevant outlets.

#37 · (Edited)
Why are those charging cables that expensive? And I also cannot choose a good one. I inherited an EV from my late uncle, but someone stole the charging cable, and I had to find a new one. The vehicle is Tesla Model S (Raven version).
How do I choose the best home charger for it, and do I need a special power socket for charging this car? In other words, can I charge it just like I charge my phone? I don’t know much about electric cars, and it’s my first time dealing with one. But I do have a Vont smart remote-control plug at home. It will help me control the charging time and turn it off when the car’s fully charged.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.