Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's always really annoyed me that the supplied cable, not the 3 pin one, cannot supply power at full rate from a domestic single phase charger. I mean that's what the majority of users are likely to have fitted at home, right? And also that cable won't supply the full rate at any away from home 7kw charging unit.

I nearly bought my own over the past few weeks. Not because I needed one desperately (my Ohme charger is tethered), but in case I needed to charge somewhere that doesn't supply a cable. So finally, very late last night and while on my last glass of red, I sent this...

"Hello Polestar

I have an issue with my cable as supplied with the car. The problem is not with the UK 3 pin cable but the other one. That cable does not allow me to charge at the maximum speed allowed at a roadside or home charger.

I tried a cable from my neighbour, and that cable as supplied with their car works fine. Apparently the cable may be more suited to charging in industrial or commercial situations and not UK domestic. Clearly this is not what I use my car for!

Please can you advise what is to be done about this, because I'd expect the car to be supplied with cables best suited to general charging in the UK.

Thank you"

I decided to play a bit dumb and helpless perhaps, forgive me. Today I got a response. They are sending me a 32A to be collected from my dealer. I think that's very nice of them! If I had to be even more picky, I'd suggest a level of service above the rest would have been to automatically send out 32A cables to all those who had received 16A ones.

Anyway, that's my news for today...

·
Registered
2,344 Posts

Reactions: Irf and rgledhill

·
Registered
709 Posts
I also asked and picked mine up last week, absolutely no fuss whatsoever. I am quite impressed and feel they have a done a good job as I think really with the 16A cable they delivered that was as specc'ed. I happily handed my 16A cable to the local Volvo dealer.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also asked and picked mine up last week, absolutely no fuss whatsoever. I am quite impressed and feel they have a done a good job as I think really with the 16A cable they delivered that was as specc'ed. I happily handed my 16A cable to the local Volvo dealer.
Is it supposed to be a swap then? That wasn't clear to me, but I'm glad because I have no use for this cable I don't think...

·
Registered
709 Posts
They asked if they could have it in case Volvo wanted it back, I said yes as otherwise it was just something else I would have to put in my garage so please take it!!! :)

·
Registered
PS2, Void, non PP, 20" Wheels
24 Posts
Is it supposed to be a swap then? That wasn't clear to me, but I'm glad because I have no use for this cable I don't think...
I picked my new cable up this afternoon. My dealer asked for the old cable back, but I don't think that's been the case with everyone. Old one was no use so was happy to hand it over.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just emailed Polestar customer service this morning and already they have sent a brilliant reply saying that they will arrange for one to be delivered at their expense - great result, many thanks to Irf and Polestar.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Hi can anyone tell me the length of the charger cable we get with the car?
If only it was listed on the Polestar website, you could have just checked yourself in the time it took to post the question.

Ohhh... wait a second .....

*Note the 16A is now 32A in the UK.

🤓 😉

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
3,059 Posts
I believe it's 8m.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts