Polestar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
922 Posts
Just noticed this for the first time as I don’t generally bother with AC chargers except my tethered at home.

I contacted CS but they told me that this cable that does max 20A is the correct one that shipped with my mid 2020 order, although the 32A one as per their site now is what is shipping in more recent cars. No offer for a replacement, so slightly annoyed.

Did anyone get one relatively recently?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
You have every right to be annoyed.

My order was placed mid 2020 and my car delivered in November with the "wrong cable" in my words. Just before I bought own "correct cable" I saw some people reporting that they had had some luck in getting PS to replace it. So I wrote them an email, and one was ordered for me which I picked up from my local Volvo dealer. This was at the end of Feb this year.

I can share what I wrote, and the response, if that might help? Redacted of course 😀

Actually I already did in an earlier post! 🤣🤣🤣

Irf

·
Registered
922 Posts
Honestly I’m not going to spend the energy to follow up on this - they had a chance to make things right and chose not to. As mine is a lease it’ll be gone back relatively soon, and as they confirmed that I have the appropriate cable for my order time I’m fine.

I will just add this to the list of things to consider about Polestar when I’m pondering wether to get another one or eg an A4 etron.

·
Registered
922 Posts
BTW just noticed that the so-called 16A cable does 20A charging. So is it rated at 20A or an issue with handshake that is potentially dangerous?

I contacted CS and got this:

"With regards to your cable charging at 20A, although the sticker says its a 16A cable, it will actually charge up to 20A. If you look at the end of the cable where the connection is, you should see that it states 480V/20A."

Mine says no such thing.

·
Registered
543 Posts
BTW just noticed that the so-called 16A cable does 20A charging. So is it rated at 20A or an issue with handshake that is potentially dangerous?

I contacted CS and got this:

"With regards to your cable charging at 20A, although the sticker says its a 16A cable, it will actually charge up to 20A. If you look at the end of the cable where the connection is, you should see that it states 480V/20A."

Mine says no such thing.
I did notice my Polestar 16A three phase cable charge at 20A on a single phase public charger as well.

Not sure what to think of that.

·
Super Moderator
1,510 Posts
IEC 61851-1, the standard for Type 2 only defines 13, 20, 32 and 63A charging cables based on on the capacity of standard (metric) cables (1,5 mm², 2,5 mm², 6mm² and 16mm²), hence the slightly overrated 20A label. The plugs are typically rated for 32A.

·
Registered
922 Posts
IEC 61851-1, the standard for Type 2 only defines 13, 20, 32 and 63A charging cables based on on the capacity of standard (metric) cables (1,5 mm², 2,5 mm², 6mm² and 16mm²), hence the slightly overrated 20A label. The plugs are typically rated for 32A.
So I suppose the cable can indeed handle 20A, why did they label it max 16A then? Doesn’t make any sense!

Product label:

Automotive tire Font Auto part Electric blue Bumper

Connector rating at 20A:
Font Gadget Audio equipment Electronic device Electric blue

Cable is indeed 5x 2.5 mm² (plus one 0.5 mm² I guess used for signalling?)
Wheel Tire Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle wheel

So yeah safe at 20 and not as bad as 16 vs 32 but why the confusing label!

·
Super Moderator
1,510 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,510 Posts
Because that cable is rated at 20amps, which means you can use 80% of that rating continuously. 20amps * 80% = 16amps
The International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) (properly :p) rates cables, fuses and breakers for continuous use at 100%.

Litmus test: A 32A cable can be used to charge with 22kW* continuously.

*Edit: on 240V/3P, 7.2kW on 240V/1P

·
Registered
267 Posts
The International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) (correctly :p) rates cables, fuses and breakers for continuous use.

Litmus test: A 32A cable can be used to charge with 22kW* continuously.

*Edit: on 240V/3P, 7.2kW on 240V/1P
I'm not that well versed, but I know here (US), the National Electric Code basically requires 80% of max ampacity for continuous use. Because if you had a 20amp load on a 20amp breaker, a continuous load of 20amps will overheat the breaker, and trip it. That, and I think they're building a buffer so you're not running full load through all the associated wiring continuously.

But, for example, in order to pass inspection here to have 40amps continuously run through the EVSE in our garage, everything had to be rated for 50amps. The breakers (there are two in our setup) and the wiring from the breaker box to the NEMA 14-50 outlet.

·
Super Moderator
1,510 Posts
I read about that weird rule here. Not sure whether it applies to cables as well, but if it does, the cable would be labeled with 20A/0.8=25A.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I read about that weird rule here. Not sure whether it applies to cables as well, but if it does, the cable would be labeled with 20A/0.8=25A.
You have that equation backward. The connector rating (the second photo) lists max ampacity at 20amps, so the tag label correctly labels 16amps (80% of 20amps) as the max SYSTEM continuous ampacity for the supplied charging cable. You're basically limited to 80% of the lowest rated component in the system. Whether that's the Polestar charging cable, or your home's wiring, or the breaker.

·
Registered
922 Posts
You have that equation backward. The connector rating (the second photo) lists max ampacity at 20amps, so the tag label correctly labels 16amps (80% of 20amps) as the max SYSTEM continuous ampacity for the supplied charging cable. You're basically limited to 80% of the lowest rated component in the system. Whether that's the Polestar charging cable, or your home's wiring, or the breaker.
So if it’s not safe to use at 20A why does it signal the charger that it’s 20A cable, and why is the label claiming it is 16A?

As others said the next option down is 13A, there is no 16A!

I’d like to believe both cable and connectors are in fact rated for 20A continuous usage and it’s just the label that is just plain wrong.

·
Registered
267 Posts
So if it’s not safe to use at 20A why does it signal the charger that it’s 20A cable, and why is the label claiming it is 16A?

As others said the next option down is 13A, there is no 16A!

I’d like to believe both cable and connectors are in fact rated for 20A continuous usage and it’s just the label that is just plain wrong.
Because the cable manufacturer has no idea what the end user (Polestar) is or isn't going to have as a software UI. They just know how they need to label the electronics.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Because the cable manufacturer has no idea what the end user (Polestar) is or isn't going to have as a software UI. They just know how they need to label the electronics.
Is it though a matter of software UI?

The end product is a type 2 cable labelled 16A by Polestar, although no such thing seems to exist as per the standard.

It has 20A rated cables and connectors, and most importantly a resistor across the PP indicating it’s a 20A cable, so as per the standard an EVSE would and does permit 20A continuously.

There doesn’t seem to be a 16A option in the standard, so not sure where that came from and since I’m nitpicking, the cable assembly isn’t CE marked which I think is legally required.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Ok I think I realise why Polestar might be advertising it as 16A.

It is technically a 20A 3P cable assembly, but the on board 11KW charger of the car can only draw 16A 3P.

On a UK 1P the car can draw up to 32A so that’s why I see 20A which is the max rating of the cable and perfectly safe.

Does that sound right?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Ok I think I realise why Polestar might be advertising it as 16A.

It is technically a 20A 3P cable assembly, but the on board 11KW charger of the car can only draw 16A 3P.

On a UK 1P the car can draw up to 32A so that’s why I see 20A which is the max rating of the cable and perfectly safe.

Does that sound right?
I'm not sure, but I don't think so, because it shows 3P @ 480v/20A on the connector.

·
Super Moderator
1,510 Posts
The connector rating (the second photo) lists max ampacity at 20amps, so the tag label correctly labels 16amps (80% of 20amps) as the max SYSTEM continuous ampacity for the supplied charging cable.
My logic was this: The combination of cable and connector is safe to be used @20A continously without being overloaded. Your breaker labeled with 50A can only be operated safely @40A continously without tripping, as I understand it. Applying the same calculation to the cable would mean it needs to be labeled at 20A/0.8=25A as 80% (the max. continuous load of the label by your rules) of 25A is 20A.

But this are just thought experiments about a label, no need to derail the thread any further ;)

@kkonstan: 3P vs. 1P further complicates things: When charging on 1P (and that includes the granny charger), all three units of the OBC are connected in parallel, so the car can actually charge up to 48A on a single phase (please see the attached diagramm for reference). But as the three phases (wires) in the cable are not connected in parallel for 1P charging, all the current runs through one wire (and back through another), so you need a cable where each wire used supports this current - 32A in the UK as I understand, as your public 1P chargers are limited to 32A.

To get back to your initial question: IMO, it would be safe to use this 20A cable with the 20A plug @ 20A, although I have never heard off 4.4/4.8kW (20A, 220/240V) charging on this forum. I would just write off the label as another PS quirk.

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
My logic was this: The combination of cable and connector is safe to be used @20A continously without being overloaded. Your breaker labeled with 50A can only be operated safely @40A continously without tripping, as I understand it. Applying the same calculation to the cable would mean it needs to be labeled at 20A/0.8=25A as 80% (the max. continuous load of the label by your rules) of 25A is 20A.

But this are just thought experiments about a label, no need to derail the thread any further ;)
But what are car forums if not long derailments on things like this? :p

I'm still not following you though.

Just as 40A is what you can continuously run on a 50A breaker, the same is technically true for the rest of the hardware. The breaker is LABELLED 50A, but you run 40A. The charging cable is LABELLED 20A (on the printed part), but the added label, which is intended for the user, shows a max of 16A. To me I guess it makes sense. Can you run 20A on it? Sure, but I bet that cable gets toasty warm!

21 - 40 of 43 Posts