Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Looking at all the cables discussion, I was looking up to buy a 32A Type 2 cable (Cable Type 2 / Type 2 - custom length - 22kW) since apparently the one that comes from Polestar is only 16A.
But then I stumbled onto this: MAXICHARGER

Is it worth the price? Not sure what it adds to a good cable, anybody knows?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
It's a multi plug type arrangement. It's handy if you do a lot of traveling around the EU/UK and you don't know where you'll be staying and plugging in. However I'm not sure why you would need a 32A ... as I understand EU is mostly 3 Phase 11kW supply anyway?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Is it worth the price? Not sure what it adds to a good cable, anybody knows?
As @GDank said, the big advantage are the different adapters for all the possible outlets you might find. Quite useful when you travel in areas where you might not find a regular AC or DC charger. Hard to say whether it's worth the price. If you know you will always find a charger or have enough time to use the granny brick, I'd say skip it.

Another interesting benefit is that you can use it as a wallbox replacement at home. Not sure what outlets you have in Belgium. Do you have 3 phases at home?

Which types of public AC chargers do oyu have in Belgium? If they have 3 phases, you don't need a 32A cable, as the PS chargers only pull 16A max. on each phase. On the other hand, here in Germany you find some older 22kW chargers which do not work with 16A cabels, although they should according to the specification.

·
Registered
352 Posts
The thing I like most about that is that the case looks like it contains the nuclear launch codes.

Reactions: krheinwald

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a multi plug type arrangement. It's handy if you do a lot of traveling around the EU/UK and you don't know where you'll be staying and plugging in. However I'm not sure why you would need a 32A ... as I understand EU is mostly 3 Phase 11kW supply anyway?
Well, in Belgium, I see a lot of 22kW non tethered public chargers with Type 2 plug (and I will mostly use those since I do not have a parking with a charger and cannot install one) and I read somewhere that you then need a 32A cable. Maybe I am wrong?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As @GDank said, the big advantage are the different adapters for all the possible outlets you might find. Quite useful when you travel in areas where you might not find a regular AC or DC charger. Hard to say whether it's worth the price. If you know you will always find a charger or have enough time to use the granny brick, I'd say skip it.

Another interesting benefit is that you can use it as a wallbox replacement at home. Not sure what outlets you have in Belgium. Do you have 3 phases at home?

Which types of public AC chargers do oyu have in Belgium? If they have 3 phases, you don't need a 32A cable, as the PS chargers only pull 16A max. on each phase. On the other hand, here in Germany you find some older 22kW chargers which do not work with 16A cabels, although they should according to the specification.
To be honest, no clue if they are 3 phases or not. How can I find out? Brussels is investing in a public charger network which are mostly 22kW (but 11kW if 2 cars are plugged in at the same time - Charge.brussels - Charge.Brussels)

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Well, in Belgium, I see a lot of 22kW non tethered public chargers with Type 2 plug (and I will mostly use those since I do not have a parking with a charger and cannot install one) and I read somewhere that you then need a 32A cable. Maybe I am wrong?
You do need a 32A for a 22kW charger. However the Polestar can only take a max 11kW, hence why the 16A cable is perfect for the EU.

You can use the 16A on a 22kW charger and it will just use 11kW.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You do need a 32A for a 22kW charger. However the Polestar can only take a max 11kW, hence why the 16A cable is perfect for the EU.

You can use the 16A on a 22kW charger and it will just use 11kW.
So the Polestar only goes up to 11 kW in AC no matter what the charger is giving? So to go above 11kW, then it is only on DC but then it is only tethered chargers, correct?
Coming from ICE cars, this is sometimes not easy to grasp :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
To be honest, no clue if they are 3 phases or not. How can I find out? Brussels is investing in a public charger network which are mostly 22kW (but 11kW if 2 cars are plugged in at the same time - Charge.brussels - Charge.Brussels)
I was referring to your house if you want to charge at home. Public AC chargers rated @ 11/22kW should be 3 phases.

A 7.2kW-Charger will be 1 phase and require a 32A (single or three phase) cable. With a 16A cable, you will only get 3.6kW on those.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was referring to your house if you want to charge at home. Public AC chargers rated @ 11/22kW should be 3 phases.

A 7.2kW-Charger will be 1 phase and require a 32A (single or three phase) cable. With a 16A cable, you will only get 3.6kW on those.
Ah but there is no way I will be able to charge at home for the moment. Planning on moving in Spring 2021 and there I'll get a charger. In any case, I guess an electrician needs to confirm if it is 3 phases or not?

·
Registered
Void Polestar 2 2020
45 Posts
So the Polestar only goes up to 11 kW in AC no matter what the charger is giving? So to go above 11kW, then it is only on DC but then it is only tethered chargers, correct?
Yes
AC max is 7kW 32A single phase or 11kW 16A 3 phase.
The maxcharge seems quite an expensive way of being able to charge from alternative AC sources eg 3 pin plug “granny”, EU plug, commando etc
An alternative approach would be to buy a Tesla UMC gen 2 from eBay (£200 new) and buy the adapters you need from the Tesla online shop. (I have this setup and though I’ve had handshaking issues I think it works ok)
I’m not using either of the supplied polestar cables. I have a 10m 32A cable at home and use the UMC as a granny/commando charger. I’ve considered buying a 32 A 3 phase cable to be ready for anything but to be honest I’m very unlikely ever to charge 3 phase

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
No problem asking questions.

3.6, 7.2, 11 & 22kW are via the Type 2 connector and are all AC. Some are Tethered and some are untethered.

50kW and higher is CCS (or Combined) and is all DC and they all will be Tethered.

Depending on your daily / weekly miles you might get away with one charge per week (overnight or via a CCS), or if you can charge while at work even better!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No problem asking questions.

3.6, 7.2, 11 & 22kW are via the Type 2 connector and are all AC. Some are Tethered and some are untethered.

50kW and higher is CCS (or Combined) and is all DC and they all will be Tethered.

View attachment 1336
View attachment 1335

Depending on your daily / weekly miles you might get away with one charge per week (overnight or via a CCS), or if you can charge while at work even better!
Thanks a lot, it is a lot clearer now!
Just for the sake of clarification, does the Polestar 2 charge at 22kW on AC if the charger is 22kW or is it limited to 11kW anyway. I understand the latter from this forum.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes
AC max is 7kW 32A single phase or 11kW 16A 3 phase.
The maxcharge seems quite an expensive way of being able to charge from alternative AC sources eg 3 pin plug “granny”, EU plug, commando etc
An alternative approach would be to buy a Tesla UMC gen 2 from eBay (£200 new) and buy the adapters you need from the Tesla online shop. (I have this setup and though I’ve had handshaking issues I think it works ok)
I’m not using either of the supplied polestar cables. I have a 10m 32A cable at home and use the UMC as a granny/commando charger. I’ve considered buying a 32 A 3 phase cable to be ready for anything but to be honest I’m very unlikely ever to charge 3 phase
Thanks! I think I'll go for a 10m 32A cable since I'll be only charging on public charger just for the sake of being sure the cable is never the issue.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Thanks a lot, it is a lot clearer now!
Just for the sake of clarification, does the Polestar 2 charge at 22kW on AC if the charger is 22kW or is it limited to 11kW anyway. I understand the latter from this forum.
The car is limited to 11kW AC (Type 2) and 150kW DC (CCS)

You can plug into 22kW AC or up to 350kW DC chargers, but the car won't use more than it can on the above figures.

Like your house has a max 20kW supply ... but your Oven will only take 3kW max.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The car is limited to 11kW AC (Type 2) and 150kW DC (CCS)

You can plug into 22kW AC or up to 350kW DC chargers, but the car won't use more than it can on the above figures.

Like your house has a max 20kW supply ... but your Oven will only take 3kW max.
Very clear! thanks a lot.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
And, you're better off charging small amounts more often than running the battery low and then recharging a lot all in one session. At least, that's the way I understand it for preserving battery life.

I had thought I'd charge once a week, but since learning from this forum and from a few videos, I now plan on just plugging in every day when I get home.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts