Polestar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a SolarEdge EnergyHub installed shortly - has anyone else used their smart EV charger?
If so how have you found it?

I can see it's on sale in the US and UK, and although they aren't yet selling the EV cable here in Australia they are selling the compatible inverter already and it looks to be on it's way.

·
Registered
2022 LR Midnight, Pilot+Plus+tow 19"+Nappa no-pp
63 Posts
I have solaredge system and a Rolec dumb charger all I do is set the car amps down to what ever is being produced to minimise grid inflow. So if it's knocking out 1.4kw then I set the car down to 6A and soak up the free electrons. (230V * 6A = ~1.3kw Famous opera singer Ivy Watts as my electronics teacher used to tell us ;-) ) Simples.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I’m with u/ratbert but I have a chargepoint home. The SolarEdge unit is overkill in my opinion. If I recall the main benefit was you could possibly charge your EV from solar while grid down?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Interesting .... I'm studying a similar scenario with a Fronius install. They have too a charger called "WattPilot".
Anyone here having an experience with the Fronius WattPilot ?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I recall the main benefit was you could possibly charge your EV from solar while grid down?
It's actually a bit more interesting than that, it can do that (which is neat) and it can also monitor the solar output and dynamically change the charging schedule (which other systems likke the Zappi chargers can also do by clamping a current monitor on an existing inverter output).

The fun bit however is the "solar boost" feature.

With this it combines grid and solar to charge at up to 9.6kW instead of the standard grid charge (at least on the Australian systems) of 7.2ish kW.

I think the Fronius can also do something similar.

My question is really about how it is to actually use, and how much they charged you for their charger bit. I'll already have the compatible inverter (it's a common model here) but I'll have to fight for the charger as they are only just starting to import them here, so I need to decide between buying their charger or someone else's - I've got to get something anyway 🤣

·
Registered
354 Posts
It's actually a bit more interesting than that, it can do that (which is neat) and it can also monitor the solar output and dynamically change the charging schedule (which other systems likke the Zappi chargers can also do by clamping a current monitor on an existing inverter output).

The fun bit however is the "solar boost" feature.

With this it combines grid and solar to charge at up to 9.6kW instead of the standard grid charge (at least on the Australian systems) of 7.2ish kW.

I think the Fronius can also do something similar.

My question is really about how it is to actually use, and how much they charged you for their charger bit. I'll already have the compatible inverter (it's a common model here) but I'll have to fight for the charger as they are only just starting to import them here, so I need to decide between buying their charger or someone else's - I've got to get something anyway
Ahh, wish I’d known that before I set up my panels. My salesperson didn’t try to upsell me on the charger or battery additions, which on the one hand i appreciated but now is starting to give me buyers remorse.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I use a zappi charger with 7kw of panels and a Tesla Powerwall and myenergi Eddi. The Zappi is left in eco+ and any surplace is sent to the car after the battery and hot water. In the summer last year the star did a good job of soaking up the excess power.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm getting a SolarEdge EnergyHub installed shortly - has anyone else used their smart EV charger?
If so how have you found it?

I can see it's on sale in the US and UK, and although they aren't yet selling the EV cable here in Australia they are selling the compatible inverter already and it looks to be on it's way.

Hi - we have an 18kW solar array at work using the Solar Edge and Zappi chargers which works great.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi - we have an 18kW solar array at work using the Solar Edge and Zappi chargers which works great.
That's a nice sized set of panels!

Was the Solar Edge charger an option for you, or was your inverter not compatible? (I think it's only the newer 'energy hub' series that work with it)
If it was an option I'm interested what made you opt for the Zappi charger?

·
Registered
7 Posts
That's a nice sized set of panels!

Was the Solar Edge charger an option for you, or was your inverter not compatible? (I think it's only the newer 'energy hub' series that work with it)
If it was an option I'm interested what made you opt for the Zappi charger?
I have a Solar Edge Inverter with my 6.6Kw system in Brisbane. I use a Zappi 2 charger, which charged my previous Kona Electric, & now current (sorry) Model 3. A great combination, & the Tesla app works well with the Zappi, & can control the charging load quite well.
I hope the Polestar app gives me the same flexibility.
‘I wasn’t aware that Solar Edge had an EV charger available.
‘I had everything installed in June/July 2020, after buying my first EV (Kona) that April. I used a granny charger for the first 3-4mths.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts