Polestar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this in the manual and have a question:
Setting amperage
When charging using alternating current, the plus and minus signs can be used to adjust amperage. The amperage currently used for charging is shown in the center display."

What on earth does the setting in the dash have to do with AC charging speed? My understanding is that the car charger will negotiate with the wall unit and not charge any faster than the wall unit can provide power. So what is the real value of this setting? Is there some reason I've not thought of where you'd want to charge at less than the full power of your wall charger?

·
Registered
470 Posts
If you house supply is low or just dodgy, and when you charge it trips you main incoming breaker, then reducing the amps would stop that.

For example we hired an old cottage out a few years ago in the British countryside.
We was told by the owner that you could only have the main oven on, or the jacuzzi, or the WM. Any two of these would trip the main breaker.
So even a full 3-pin 16A socket may have tripped things. Dropping the car down to 8A would mean I could charge and do other things like Cook dinner.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you house supply is low or just dodgy, and when you charge it trips you main incoming breaker, then reducing the amps would stop that.

For example we hired an old cottage out a few years ago in the British countryside.
We was told by the owner that you could only have the main oven on, or the jacuzzi, or the WM. Any two of these would trip the main breaker.
So even a full 3-pin 16A socket may have tripped things. Dropping the car down to 8A would mean I could charge and do other things like Cook dinner.
Yeah this was exactly the explanation I was given by the Polestar rep on my test drive when I asked what the amperage control was for / benefit of it.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Makes some sense, but it sounds like the problem is not charging the car, but the house electrical system. With issues like these the entire house could use an upgrade for safety. Or the line feeding the charger should be downgraded.

No house can have a dozen 50amp circuits and not expect problems.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
With a smart charger, there shouldn't be too much of a problem. Just schedule charging during hours where there's little load in the rest of the household.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I could list a dozen reasons why old houses In Europe have problems and why sometimes there is no other option, but the simple truth is its better to have this feature than not, for those people that do get issues for whatever reason.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I could list a dozen reasons why old houses In Europe have problems and why sometimes there is no other option, but the simple truth is its better to have this feature than not, for those people that do get issues for whatever reason.
That makes sense. The older the house the more likely there are issues. And for sure in Europe the houses on average are older.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Polestar can be charged with AC up to 11kW from a WallBox at your home.
This takes 3 x 16A and your lines and fuses of your house shall have the needed dimensions for it.
If your house installation does not allow this for any reason your WallBox shall limit the power. This must be done by a electrician with the correct settings inside the WallBox.
Nevertheless also the Polestar 2 provides a software setting for additional safety.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts