Polestar Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may or may not be a good idea but I just wondered if it would be useful to share information about charging locations that people would recommend for a visit – either because they are reliable, or convenient, or actually do provide the advertised rate of charge, or have good facilities, or free vends, et cetera et cetera.

I’ll kick off by recommending the Polar 50 kW charger that is located in the car park of the Harvester Inn at Amesbury services (just off the A303).

I have to confess that my relationship with this charger has not been completely trouble-free. When I arrived to charge on Friday morning, a Leaf was already plugged in to the CHADEMO socket, making it difficult to manoeuvre into quite narrow parking space between it and a bush. However I did this but was then advised by the Leaf driver not to attempt to use the CCS as it may affect his charging. I cheerfully reassured him that I was sure it will be okay, only to find that by attempting to charge, it didn’t work for me and simply stopped his charge. Cue a swift withdrawal, as the Leaf driver reminded me that he had asked me not to do this and that now he would have to reset the charger, it may not work, it was very inconvenient, et cetera et cetera. If he is by any chance on the forum I can only apologise again.

However, later on I returned and in 51 minutes drew 39.6 kWh of charge, meaning that (given the reduced rate of charge in the first and the last few minutes) it must have been providing charge at the full 50 kW. And it was a Polar, meaning that soon one could use our free credit.

Please feel free to nominate your own favoured charging location of the day.

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
1,856 Posts
This may or may not be a good idea but I just wondered if it would be useful to share information about charging locations that people would recommend for a visit – either because they are reliable, or convenient, or actually do provide the advertised rate of charge, or have good facilities, or free vends, et cetera et cetera.

I’ll kick off by recommending the Polar 50 kW charger that is located in the car park of the Harvester Inn at Amesbury services (just off the A303).

I have to confess that my relationship with this charger has not been completely trouble-free. When I arrived to charge on Friday morning, a Leaf was already plugged in to the CHADEMO socket, making it difficult to manoeuvre into quite narrow parking space between it and a bush. However I did this but was then advised by the Leaf driver not to attempt to use the CCS as it may affect his charging. I cheerfully reassured him that I was sure it will be okay, only to find that by attempting to charge, it didn’t work for me and simply stopped his charge. Cue a swift withdrawal, as the Leaf driver reminded me that he had asked me not to do this and that now he would have to reset the charger, it may not work, it was very inconvenient, et cetera et cetera. If he is by any chance on the forum I can only apologise again.

However, later on I returned and in 51 minutes drew 39.6 kWh of charge, meaning that (given the reduced rate of charge in the first and the last few minutes) it must have been providing charge at the full 50 kW. And it was a Polar, meaning that soon one could use our free credit.

Brilliant idea for a topic! I look forward to reading about everyone’s experiences

·
Registered
28 Posts

Nice to hear as I live in Amesbury. Could be very useful if I need a quick top up 😁

·
Super Moderator
1,391 Posts
This one will be useless to most of you, but as this thread is about chargers we love, I'll post it anyway.

I love this charger because of where it is located (100m from the beach) and because this charger is a perfect example of how e-mobility should work: Park your car, spend a nice day at the beach and return to a fully charged car.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,867 Posts
I vote for the InstaVolts pretty much everywhere really :) The one on the A303 is very picturesque though:

It's also a tasty 125kW :).

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This one will be useless to most of you, but as this thread is about chargers we love, I'll post it anyway.

I love this charger because of where it is located (100m from the beach) and because this charger is a perfect example of how e-mobility should work: Park your car, spend a nice day at the beach and return to a fully charged car.

Looks lovely. Great idea for a post-plague forum meet!

I vote for the InstaVolts pretty much everywhere really :) The one on the A303 is very picturesque though:

View attachment 2106

It's also a tasty 125kW :).
Honiton? Interesting as it opens up the Dorset coast - good one!

·
Super Moderator
2,867 Posts
Yep, and conveniently the in-laws live in Honiton! What a pity, I'll have to go to the American Diner next door to that charger each time we're down there :).

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That would be great, but did you check the map in the link? That's way up north in Germany, almost DK ;)
Besides, not sure about the visa requirements next year 😂
No worries, over the pandemic I’ve being watching loads of box sets with Mrs Fidelis and one plan we hatched was to drive across north Germany to Denmark, then to Sweden over The Bridge (yes, that one).

Only problem is Mrs F is imagining we will do this in an ICE car, whereas I’m keen to explore the electric. Any ideas (as to how to persuade her) welcome ...

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have my eye on a few... :)

They have 4 x tesla 11KW chargers at the Belfry and as I'm playing there on Saturday I'll check them out. Apparently 2 are Tesla only and 2 are available for all and they are free, so a quick 4-5 hour charge should top off the battery nicely as I'm 100 miles from there :)

The other is the Instavolt at the KFC Alfreton as its only a mile off the M1 and a perfect stop for me for when I go to Hull to see my parents. Fried chicken dinner and a 40 minute charge seems like a good option :)

There are also a couple of Polar points in the carparks of Harvester pubs near Doncaster, but as they are tier 3, its not going to be much fun stopping there...

·
Super Moderator
1,391 Posts
No worries, over the pandemic I’ve being watching loads of box sets with Mrs Fidelis and one plan we hatched was to drive across north Germany to Denmark, then to Sweden over The Bridge (yes, that one).
PM me, when you do it, please!

Any ideas (as to how to persuade her) welcome ...
How about a map showing the charger density over here?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
PM me, when you do it, please!

How about a map showing the charger density over here?
That might work, thanks - to be honest it‘s not so much the density of chargers it’s more the reliability. Through no fault of her own but nevertheless like a bad penny, Mrs F has been a passenger co-incidentally at some of my more notorious charging fails and so has what I would regard as a slightly disproportionate fear of being stranded. What I would view as an epic adventure, Mrs F might unfortunately see as an unnecessary risk of real inconvenience.

I’m working on it!

·
Registered
436 Posts

Only problem is Mrs F is imagining we will do this in an ICE car, whereas I’m keen to explore the electric. Any ideas (as to how to persuade her) welcome ...
Go for the "it will help the environment dear"! ;)

·
Registered
436 Posts
We liked the one on A66 near Penrith. 50kW chargers and just off the M6.

The Rheged Centre, CA11 0DQ.
Picnic tables and toilets in the centre when not covid, also a playground if you have kids.
Petrol station next to it for food and drinks too.
Charger worked fine and this was our first public charge. As they say you always remember the first one! ;)

Also a good one at Crianlarich if you are in that area. In car park with public toilets and nice walks nearby with great scenery.

·
Super Moderator
2,867 Posts
It would probably be 7kW with a shorter cable ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts