Polestar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new to Polestar but not EV's and Volvo hybrids. I am having charging problems and wonder if anyone else had same?

Plugged into home charger (PodPoint) took several inserts and removals before settled into charging. Added about 20% then when I returned to the car I noticed charging stopped and circuit breaker tripped. Tried again after reseting breaker using another cable, relay in Podpoint kept clicking and took 5 minutes of removal of plug and reinserting to settle into a charge.

Tried later using another home charger unit and different cable and same issue with Podpoint kept clicking and took 5 minutes of removal of plug and reinserting to settle into a charge. All in all tried 3 home chargers and 3 different cables, eventually it works but much relay clicking and removal and reinserting before I can leave the car with a working charge.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
777 Posts
I have a PodPoint too but never had any issues getting the car to accept a charge, or the breaker tripping, and always just the one relay sound. With the breaker trip and multiple relay clicking it sounds more like a charger issue than a car issue? I'd try a public charger if you can, see if you have the same issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, new to Polestar but not EV's and Volvo hybrids. I am having charging problems and wonder if anyone else had same?

Plugged into home charger (PodPoint) took several inserts and removals before settled into charging. Added about 20% then when I returned to the car I noticed charging stopped and circuit breaker tripped. Tried again after reseting breaker using another cable, relay in Podpoint kept clicking and took 5 minutes of removal of plug and reinserting to settle into a charge.

Tried later using another home charger unit and different cable and same issue with Podpoint kept clicking and took 5 minutes of removal of plug and reinserting to settle into a charge. All in all tried 3 home chargers and 3 different cables, eventually it works but much relay clicking and removal and reinserting before I can leave the car with a working charge.

Any thoughts?
i am new to EVs also. I asked my super smart tech guru son about the amperage setting. He suggested to start in the 30s with the house plug and I can slowly increase it if I want to charge a bit faster. He said that the breaker will trip if I set it too high. By keeping it low it will keep the life of the battery “healthy“. Maybe the am setting needs to be adjuste?

·
Registered
99 Posts
i am new to EVs also. I asked my super smart tech guru son about the amperage setting. He suggested to start in the 30s with the house plug and I can slowly increase it if I want to charge a bit faster. He said that the breaker will trip if I set it too high. By keeping it low it will keep the life of the battery “healthy“. Maybe the am setting needs to be adjuste?
If you are using the 110, you won't get 30 amps but most like 12-15 amps. If using a 240 check the breaker and charge at 80% of the breaker or up to 32 amps based on the ease included with the car. Since it looks like you might live in a more rural area, you might want to get a wall charger to charge at 40 amps or so. (I;m new so some of the more experienced folks may find an error and correct me).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a PodPoint too but never had any issues getting the car to accept a charge, or the breaker tripping, and always just the one relay sound. With the breaker trip and multiple relay clicking it sounds more like a charger issue than a car issue? I'd try a public charger if you can, see if you have the same issue.
Thanks all for your replies.

I am confident that it's not a wall charger or cable issue as I have tried with 3 different ones of each. Also same wall chargers used with other full EV,s without problem. It seems that either the car does not like the wall charger or VV, as the relay clicks indicate. With some plugging and unplugging I can eventually get it charging, but concerned that it will stop mid charge as it did the other day. I will put a call into Polestar.

·
Registered
Thunder, non PP, towbar
240 Posts
Have just started having a similar problem. I use an Andersen 7kW charger and noticed that it failed to charge as scheduled during the Octopus Go cheap hours three nights ago but worked the next night. Last night it shut off after about 50 minutes so after work this evening I plugged it in but although the plug locked into place the Andersen clicked on and off repeatedly. I tried resetting the infotainment and a TCAM reset (questionable logic there) but no effect. With further attempts either the charger clicked on and off while the display edge was remained yellow or it failed completely and the display edge turned red with the message "Reconnect Error". Plug and socket both look dry and clean.

So I tried the granny charger but this tripped the fuse in the house. I will try the Andersen again with the current on a lower setting and if that fails I will take it somewhere else to try. It looks like I'll end up contacting Polestar CS.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Try holding the cable in the car while the EVSE negotiates with the car until the light by the charge port goes green. The two pins at the top carry the negotiation signals and with the way the P*2 body panel is angled some plugs have had issues apparently. Certainly I've had more luck connecting to public chargers if I hold the cable in place until the port goes green.

·
Registered
Polestar 2 Dual Motor Launch Edition 2021 - Void
712 Posts
Try holding the cable in the car while the EVSE negotiates with the car until the light by the charge port goes green. The two pins at the top carry the negotiation signals and with the way the P*2 body panel is angled some plugs have had issues apparently. Certainly I've had more luck connecting to public chargers if I hold the cable in place until the port goes green.
Shouldn't have to do it until green, only until you hear the mechanical noise that clicks it into place

·
Registered
Thunder, non PP, towbar
240 Posts
Thanks for everyone's advice as well. The granny charger worked at work today and there were no problems at a BP 175KW charger at lunchtime. Returned home and plugged in the Andersen but it started clicking on and off repeatedly as happened last night. Tried a hard reset (switching it off and on at the fuseboard) but this didn't help. Waiting to hear back from Andersen.

Relieved it doesn't appear to be a Polestar problem but concerned about a possible electrical fault at home.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Spoke with a Volvo tech today after raising this issue with Polestar. They advised it is an issue with Polestar and non DC chargers and to plug in and leave it and it will settle down after a few minutes.

I have not had this issue with another EV I own and a Volvo Hybrid. So maybe, maybe not.

·
Administrator
2,004 Posts
Spoke with a Volvo tech today after raising this issue with Polestar. They advised it is an issue with Polestar and non DC chargers and to plug in and leave it and it will settle down after a few minutes.
Interesting. Sounds like 'I have no idea what might be going on, but before putting too much effort into resolving this, I rather tell you some BS and hope the problem vanishes on its own' :unsure:

The tripped breaker should raise a red flag.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Shouldn't have to do it until green, only until you hear the mechanical noise that clicks it into place
I believe the mechanical noise of the car locking the charger in place is just the car going "this is likely a charger cable, let me lock it and start negotiation". If you are having negotiation problems hold it in place until the light goes green.

Yes, the lock pin should be enough but it doesn't hurt to hold it in place a little longer

1 - 15 of 15 Posts