Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of things makes me wonder if 7kW charging will not be possible.

The Polestar website quotes on 3.7 or 11 kW charging. The latter is three phase charging at 16 A.

The charging cable provided by Polestar is rated for 16A.

To charge at 7kW, you need a 32A supply and a 32A cable!

Most home and public chargers are single phase, so the Polestar may only be able to charge at 3.7 kW at most chargers.

I’m hoping that someone will prove me wrong!

·
Registered
92 Posts
You'll need your own cable but pretty sure single phase is possible at 7kw

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I forgot to add - as well as a 32A supply and a 32A cable, you need a 32A on board charger.
The quoted charging speeds from Polestar are for a 16A on board charger - giving you either 3.7 kW (single phase) or 11 kW (triple phase).
Neither gives you 7kW from a single phase supply. I think we may be stuck with 3.7 kW from the common, single phase chargers, even those rated at 7kW.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That may work just fine for many people.
if you’re communting any distance though, it might make it a bit tight unless you have charging at home and work.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
That may work just fine for many people.
if you’re communting any distance though, it might make it a bit tight unless you have charging at home and work.
I understand there are people that have a 100 mile commute each way, but even they should be able to make it work with home charging. (And my heart goes out to such people, spending more than three hours in the car each day, just for work.)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well spotted!

I’m a bit puzzled though - it describes the charging rates as single phase, right up to 11kW - which is a triple phase charging rate (16A x 3). The only user cables I’ve ever seen are either 16 A or 32 A - never 48A.
Hopefully though we’ll get some good news confirmed that all is well when the first cars get delivered and we can all see!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well spotted!

I’m a bit puzzled though - it describes the charging rates as single phase, right up to 11kW - which is a triple phase charging rate (16A x 3). The only user cables I’ve ever seen are either 16 A or 32 A - never 48A.
Hopefully though we’ll get some good news confirmed that all is well when the first cars get delivered and we can all see!
I think maybe 48A charging is a thing in the US but not here in Europe.. here's a US 48A charger:
48A Level 2 EVSE HCS-60 Hardwired | ClipperCreek

·
Registered
404 Posts
I think maybe 48A charging is a thing in the US but not here in Europe.. here's a US 48A charger:
48A Level 2 EVSE HCS-60 Hardwired | ClipperCreek
yes indeed! Although I think most folks here max out at 40A since installing a circuit of more than 240V x 50A requires special permits, at least in my (and some friends’) districts.

I’m pretty sure the on board charger of the P*2 can handle a wide range of input AC, 110-240V, up to 48A on single phase, etc.

Either way I’m sure for most, 7-11kW is perfectly fine for home L2 charging as that would charge the P*2 fully overnight, taking up to 10-11 hrs. As long as your home charger and cable can handle giving that I’m sure the P*2 can accept it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You might be right about the on-board charger – but I’m still puzzled – if the on-board charger will accept higher inputs than 16 A, then I wonder why it won’t charge at 22 kW triple phase – the rate for a 32 A supply and charger? Instead, Polestar simply talks about 11 kW for the triple phase - the rate for a 16A supply and charger.

I tried to chat to Polestar but the connection failed so I’ve emailed them – I’ll let you know the response!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I’m sure I read somewhere it’s limited to 11kW by design and can’t remember why... something to do with a trade off between AC and DC support rings a distant bell... hopefully someone has more insight to offer!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It’s more like 16A - 3.7 kW single phase, 11kW triple phase

32A - 7.4 kW single phase, 22 kW triple phase.

Tesla likes the 22 kW triple phase chargers which they fit at their destination points.

·
Registered
486 Posts
It’s more like 16A - 3.7 kW single phase, 11kW triple phase

32A - 7.4 kW single phase, 22 kW triple phase.
Not sure where you are getting your info from but it's wrong I'm sorry.

The AC chargers is limited to 32A

So as stated above the car will only charge a Max 7kW Single phase or 11KW Three Phase.

I'll find the post I've already done on this forum that explains it all.

·
Registered
486 Posts

Read through my posts on page 2

1 - 20 of 103 Posts