Polestar Forum banner

121 - 140 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
My further question is..... what is the purpose of the "charging rate" adjustment on the display? if the car determines the charging rate then should it just not be left on max all the time?
If you mean the setting the amps to 6, 7, 8, 9, etc.. Amps then it's because some places may trip if running at max amp's for that type of socket.

For example you have a old cottage in the hills of Wales. You have a 60A supply and even the kettle can trip your main breaker if you put it on at the same time as the Oven. Setting your charge at a low ampage means it can still charge without tripping the whole house.

There are a few other reasons but hopefully you get the idea.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you mean the setting the amps to 6, 7, 8, 9, etc.. Amps then it's because some places may trip if running at max amp's for that type of socket.

For example you have a old cottage in the hills of Wales. You have a 60A supply and even the kettle can trip your main breaker if you put it on at the same time as the Oven. Setting your charge at a low ampage means it can still charge without tripping the whole house.

There are a few other reasons but hopefully you get the idea.
OK thanks for the explanation.

I still have this conundrum in my mind, so forgive me.... another question.

The 7kW public chargers ( such as tesco, Lidl or roadside chargers), how would one identify whether it single or 3 phase? is it indicated on the unit?

I have looked at 7kW chargers on zap map and there is no mention of whether single or 3 phase!

·
Registered
55 Posts
7kw will all be single phase. There is no reason why one would throttle the current to limit 3 phase to 7kw.

·
Registered
694 Posts
If it's listed on Zap Map / ABRP / Other apps as 7kW or lower then it's Single Phase.

11kW / 22kW is 3 Phase.

25kW-350kW CCS are all DC only.

·
Registered
145 Posts
More like 4 kW - it’s actually a 20 A cable and the car drew 19A using it at a 7 kW Polar public charger, giving an indicate charging rate of 11 miles per hour.
I charged at a Tesco Podpoint, the pod point stats suggested a rate of 3.1kW per hour. The car had been set to maximum amps, alas I did not check to see the number of amps being delivered.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I also tried charging at a Tesco Podpoint, best I could get was up to 5miles/hour charge rate, wouldn't go higher than 9 amps. Tried 3 different sockets.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I also tried charging at a Tesco Podpoint, best I could get was up to 5miles/hour charge rate, wouldn't go higher than 9 amps. Tried 3 different sockets.
If my calculation is correct that's just over 2kW.

Were you using a 16 or 32amp cable?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Okay. Type 2 3 phase 32A cable arrived yesterday. Used it today at the same Tesco Podpoint mentioned above and......(drum roll)...No change. Charging at maximum 9A and 3-4miles/h. I've tried all 4 Tesco Podpoints at this location. On the way home, tried another 7KW charge point at a garden centre (brand was "EV - Securicharge", untethered 7KW 32A). Again 9/10A maximum and 2-3 miles/h. Go home. Start charging on my 7KW tethered Podpoint and its fine 28/29A 16miles/hour.

So what's the deal? is it the car, is it the cable, or is it the public charger?. The car appears to charge at home fine so doesn't look like a generic car charging issue, and I've now tried 2 cables (16A 3P original with the car, and new 32A 3Phase), and I've tried two separate public charging locations (Tesco pod point, and Garden Centre).

I've now been plugged in to public charges, cumulatively, for 2+hours and not seen a single percentage increase, or single mile range added to the car. My concern at the moment is if I'm ever stuck without any fast chargers on a long drive then, in an emergency, the 7KW public option is going to take forever unless I can somehow get it to replicate my home charging speed.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I don't think Podpoint are the issue here, since I got exactly the same poor charging speed from the unbranded garden centre 7KW charger. Also there home pod point appears to work fine.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'd be suspicious of your new cable to be honest. Do you have a multimeter? On the ohms range, measure between the PE and PP pins (they should be labelled).

220 Ω = 32A cable
680 Ω = 20A cable
1500 Ω = 13A cable
New cable from evonestop.co.uk is 300Ω between PE and PP.
Existing 16A type 2 that came with the Polestar measure 770Ω

·
Registered
81 Posts
any theories on why the polestar cable and the evonestop cable are only pulling 9-10Amps from 7KW public chargers? (Despite car set at 32A)

·
Registered
145 Posts
any theories on why the polestar cable and the evonestop cable are only pulling 9-10Amps from 7KW public chargers? (Despite car set at 32A)
Just a thought, are those free power chargers under the electricity grid control. Electrical power in the UK has been short this week with lack of wind. I see the coal generators are active. or the cynical me, are these chargers installed for some grant/ legislative requirement, and limiting the charge rate saves the owner money.

121 - 140 of 190 Posts