Polestar Forum banner

141 - 160 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Have you charged anywhere with the evonestop cable and got more than 9-10A?

Have you charged on a tethered connection 7kw charger and got 30+ amps?
Tethered 7kw pod point home charger gets 30amps. Evonestop and original type 2 cable only ever supply 9-10A and 0-5miles/hour at public chargers. Tried 6 different 7kw chargers in 3 locations, they only ever achieve sub 2kW

·
Registered
191 Posts
Interesting that the tethered charger gets full 30A, which suggests it’s not the car. I’m thinking of getting an extra cable for when I go to visit family (who have a non tethered pod point I think), so curious why the cable you got doesn’t achieve the faster charging @whiteco3!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Hmm assuming you purchased the right cable and they sent you the right cable.

I would conclude the cable is faulty. However that seems very rare and strange.

The reason being is... Even if there was something else wrong you should be getting close to 14-16A so has to be the cable.

Try the supplied 11kW cable when you get a chance please... You should get 14-16A. As you'll be getting a single phase.

If you do and its works ok then send the cable back to evonestop, or call them first and ask.

One last thought... Can you give us the location of one of the chargers you are using (or all 3)... And I'll see if I can get get some info on them to make sure its not them.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hmm assuming you purchased the right cable and they sent you the right cable.

I would conclude the cable is faulty. However that seems very rare and strange.

The reason being is... Even if there was something else wrong you should be getting close to 14-16A so has to be the cable.

Try the supplied 11kW cable when you get a chance please... You should get 14-16A. As you'll be getting a single phase.

If you do and its works ok then send the cable back to evonestop, or call them first and ask.

One last thought... Can you give us the location of one of the chargers you are using (or all 3)... And I'll see if I can get get some info on them to make sure its not them.
whiteco3 does say they used the original.

Evonestop and original type 2 cable only ever supply 9-10A and 0-5miles/hour at public chargers. Tried 6 different 7kw chargers in 3 locations, they only ever achieve sub 2kW suppliers.

I go back to my original observation, are these free chargers, and the UK is short of power in the last week. Chargers are under the control of the electricity providers.

I did buy an EV onestop 32 amp, 3 phase cable on Amazon this week. I will endeavour to take the car to Tesco on Tuesday to check the charge rate. Can't test at home as still on a 13 amp supply. It looks like a 32 amp cable as it is considerably thicker than the Polestar supplied cable.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I work in the UK power industry and the electricity providers can't (yet!) scale back or reduce chargers and my problem existed before the power shortage which was across this weekend and the end of last week. Good conspiracy theory though :)

GDank. I've tried both the bought cable and the one that come with the car, so unless they are both faulty (very unlikely) I'm not sure it's the cable. I've charged on (tethered) home charger okay, so it doesn't appear to the be the car either? Unless there is something weird happening with the handshaking. I've had a couple of successful DC charges .

I tried another AC public charger yesterday. An NewMotion 11KW at a local Aldi, and whilst that went up to 10-15miles/hour (not 0-5miles hour previously ) it still maxed out at 10Amps (I tried both my cables). This afternoon tried a Geniepoint 7KW, also 10Amps averaged 2.26KW across a 99min charge.

I've definitely set it to 32A in the car, and moved it up and down, but no difference.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I'd contact polestar.

Seems very strange. I'd understand if you was maxing at 14-16A but 9-10A so low for no obvious reason. I also can't believe all the charging stations are running low.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I did buy an EV onestop 32 amp, 3 phase cable on Amazon this week. I will endeavour to take the car to Tesco on Tuesday to check the charge rate
Interested to hear what you find, Steve! I think I'll hold off buying one of these for now 😬

·
Registered
191 Posts
I was also considering getting a 32A three phase cable from this site (though a bit more expensive):

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a 32A 3P cable (from EVcables). Just tried it on a public PodPoint charger where the max I could pull as 15A. Allowing for a bit of slack in the P*2 electronics that suggests it was only charging from a single phase at 16A - so I might as well have used the supplied cable (n):unsure:
On my 32A 1P tethered home charger I seem to get 29/30A as expected.
Any idea on what is going on? Its beginning to look as if my 32A 3P cable was a waste of time and that I should have bought a 32A 1P cable and just put up with carrying that and the 16A 3P cable with me.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Interesting! I’ve just ordered a 3phase 32A cable too hoping it would cover me for all eventualities.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Is it the fact that it’s 3 phase that is the problem because the most that the polestar can do is 11kw 3 phase? And we really need a 32A single phase cable to get 7kW?

Reactions: HugoCurran

·
Registered
54 Posts
Is it the fact that its 3 phase that is the problem because the most that the polestar can do is 11kw 3 phase? And we really need a 32A single phase cable to get 7kW?
I am beginning to suspect this may be the case. I know that there is supposed to be some resistor value that sets the maximum capacity of the cable - maybe there is a difference between 1P and 3P. Does anybody have an idea of how this is supposed to work?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Interesting! I’ve just ordered a 3phase 32A cable too hoping it would cover me for all eventualities.
Well I have only tested on a single PodPoint, so there may be a problem with that or with PodPoint public chargers generally. Unfortunately, most of the local chargers are PodPoint, although I have to go to Abbeywood next week and there are a couple of Polar public chargers by Asda on the retail park so I will give them a go.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Any idea on what is going on? Its beginning to look as if my 32A 3P cable was a waste of time and that I should have bought a 32A 1P cable and just put up with carrying that and the 16A 3P cable with me.
If anything that should guarantee you get 32A on a single phase.

The other guy having problems only has a SP 32A cable.

The only conclusion is ... In a year where there was the worst forest fires both in America and Australia, Covid, and Trump winning again (trust me it will happen) ... that the world is just f*****d so don't worry about it.

In all seriousness .... it makes zero sense. @stevelup maybe able to shed some light.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well I have only tested on a single PodPoint, so there may be a problem with that or with PodPoint public chargers generally. Unfortunately, most of the local chargers are PodPoint, although I have to go to Abbeywood next week and there are a couple of Polar public chargers by Asda on the retail park so I will give them a go.
My 32A 3 phase cable works fine. On a PodPoint charger today it was charging at 29A .

·
Registered
191 Posts
@hedwri Thanks - I was looking at EVcables.co.uk (Is that where you got it from?).

Looking at 1 or 3 Phase 32A cable. I.e.:

or

I’d originally ordered the 3 phase one but it hadn’t been dispatched so cancelled the order for now.

Is the only advantage of spending extra for the 3 phase one to avoid having to carry the supplied 16A cable too, if you want to charge at 11kW AC? i.e. the Single Phase 32A should let you get 7kW on untethered chargers.

141 - 160 of 190 Posts