Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ended up getting my Polestar on 29/12/20 - LOVE IT!!.

However, on 4 different 50kw chargers the max I've been able to get is only 30-32kw.

Car has certainly been warmed up etc & still doesnt hit 50kw charging speeds.

Any thoughts/help??

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Ended up getting my Polestar on 29/12/20 - LOVE IT!!.

However, on 4 different 50kw chargers the max I've been able to get is only 30-32kw.

Car has certainly been warmed up etc & still doesnt hit 50kw charging speeds.

Any thoughts/help??
What % battery was you starting from?

Edit: Also you say "Warm" what do you mean? No grey on the regen ... or just done 150miles on the motorway at 70+ mph?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
24% one place yesterday & then 40% today.
Also you say "Warm" what do you mean? No grey on the regen ... or just done 150miles on the motorway at 70+ mph?

Also air temp? below 5deg?

And what did you charge too? 80%

Did you see it take 30kw or just worked out the average over time?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One one occasion the car had done a long run.
Air temp cold though, yeah, below 5oC.
I worked out the 30kw from the input in MPH.
Also, same charger I used the guy next to me plugged in when i finished (Leaf) & was getting 44kw immediately as I was chatting to him.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Ok sorry for all the questions but needed all the facts.

If you are in the car with the heating on ... you can lose a few kW there.
In addition I've worked out that we lose around 15% ... so 50kW in is only 42.5kWh going in the batteries.

Above 65% I find it can drop to 45kWh anyway, and past 80% it drops to 20kWh ... so an average over x time would show lower kWh.

Finally, I wouldn't trust that MPH in the car. No idea where it's getting the data from.

What I can say is that I've used 3 BP Pulse 50kWh chargers .. this was my data from the Charger (i.e. not the car).

Around 30% Battery when started - 11.5kWh added in 14mins = 49.4kWh
Around 30% Battery when started - 45kWh added in 59mins = 45kWh average (I ended on 83% so probably got 50 until 80%, then slowed down to 20ish ... hence the average)

Around 70% Battery when started - 33.2kWh added in 74mins = 27kWh - I only charged as I was the only there at a restaurant and knew I wouldn't even get to 100% in the time, and I was right ... I was at 94%. Lucky it was free! I only show this to demonstrate the drop off once past 70%.

Basically unless you can tell by the charger's screen, or a charging App, then there is no real way to know how much is going in. I suspect you was getting the full 50 from the station itself.

What was the formula for turning MPH in kW you used?

Reactions: ProfessorCook

·
Registered
2,227 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,877 Posts
Also note that it will ramp up steadily as the battery warms up. Even after a long run, in these temperatures the battery will be little above ambient temperature. When I've done charges from BP Pulse chargers (one an old white DBT charger, and one with the more modern touchscreen) both have started really slowly - I mean about 11kW!! - but over 10-15 minutes have ramped up to mid-40s kW. Sounds like yours was simply the cold battery limiting the charge current - nothing to worry about.

·
Super Moderator
2,877 Posts
Once you get to 80%, it won't charge at more than about 30kW even on a nice sunny day, so that sounds about right now.

I've actually just re-done my maths as it was a bit wrong in the previous post. The highest I saw after about 15 minutes at 2C (coincidentally) was about 85mi/h and that was at about 40% state of charge.

If you want to have faster charging, "yo-yoing" it (as Tesla Bjorn calls it) is good - for the last mile of driving, repeatedly accelerate and brake (i.e. regen) hard as this warms the battery up several degrees. However that's not wise 1) if you have passengers, 2) if you have a dog in the boot, 3) if there's someone behind you, 4) if it's snowy ;). Does work though.

Great looking car by the way (y)

·
Super Moderator
2,877 Posts
Hmm, that is a bit strange. I charged mine yesterday after an average drive of about 15 miles (wife, dad, dog in the car so gentle driving with occasional minor "Whee!") and it pretty quickly (within 2 minutes) was at 40kW (about 402V, 101A if I remember correctly). That was at about 5C I think.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Yeah but even at 20-40% it’s only going in at 30kw ish.
Both my listed charges were around 5deg. So I don't think it's just the cold if you have warmed the car up.

Check zap map and see if that charger has an issue.

Are they all the Scottish chargers?

Finally what formula are you using for mph into kwh?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I’ve now done the actual maths after the charge and was getting 34kw on average for recent charge to 80%

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
OK so just using Pod point? I'll check them out.

Also I see in the photo that you are above 70%

As mentioned above 60% I've seen it drop below 50 sometimes.

As I wasn't there the whole time I don't know what it dropped to, just that it did because of overall kwh vs time there.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Check the kWh / 100miles. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
why so stupid high ?
my dads Tesla is getting 30.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts