Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

· Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was 19 degrees Fahrenheit this morning. I preconditioned the car as usual for about 25 minutes while it’s still plugged in. All good, I got into a nice and toasty car, drove to work, then I got this message when a got into the garage at work 34 miles away. I guess the battery cooled as I was driving.
Automotive design Automotive lighting Font Gadget Personal luxury car

· Registered
'22 Void I Performance I Plus I Leather
344 Posts
Yes, saw this for the first time a couple of nights ago when I arrived home, but it was only 39 outside so I was surprised. Since this is the first cold weather I've experienced with the car, I did expect to see some reduced range. I haven't run my heat excessively (set at 68) and do precondition before leaving home and work. Generally I just used the seat heater for a couple of minutes and then turn it off. I am noticing that my consumption on my round trip has gone up by about 20-25% which is a lot more than I expected. Once again, at both ends of the spectrum the P2 seems to be very temperature sensitive.

· Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve also noticed some increased consumption but I turned off eco climate cuz with it on I was cold even with the temp set at 72. So, precondition battery for around 25 minutes, eco climate off, temp set to 74, seat heater cranking and always on, steering wheel heat on medium and also always on. During the summer my round trip would go from 90% to 63% today it went from 90% to 58%. I’m totally fine with sacrificing 5% to be comfy cozy.

· Registered
'22 Void I Performance I Plus I Leather
344 Posts
Maybe I'll try without ECO on...it's been in the mid 40's here all day, so I don't need to crank the seat heat or steering wheel. Seat heat on high burns my buns anyway, and I've never had a heated steering wheel that gets as hot as this one does...bless those Swedes! I'm good with both on medium or even low.

· Registered
2022 Polestar 2, Snow, Pilot
393 Posts
Huh, no I just use the app and turn on climate. I assumed that also heats the battery. Guess not.
Try using the timer tomorrow or whenever you next do the drive. Should have a dramatic difference in the performance for a 34 mile drive. I've been successful in setting a time within an hour of departure and it kicks on about twenty minutes prior to departure time.

· Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Try using the timer tomorrow or whenever you next do the drive. Should have a dramatic difference in the performance for a 34 mile drive. I've been successful in setting a time within an hour of departure and it kicks on about twenty minutes prior to departure time.
Already on. We’ll see how different it is tomorrow

· Registered
88 Posts
In my experience that message doesn't turn on/off while actually driving, only when "power cycled". In other words, I've left with the cold battery message, driven 20-30 min, still there, get out, come back 5 min later, and cold battery message is gone.

As others have said, pre-conditioning does't heat the battery, have to set a timer.

So your experience seems normal. It would be nice if they fixed this message so properly update.

· Registered
14 Posts
In my experience that message doesn't turn on/off while actually driving, only when "power cycled". In other words, I've left with the cold battery message, driven 20-30 min, still there, get out, come back 5 min later, and cold battery message is gone.

As others have said, pre-conditioning does't heat the battery, have to set a timer.

So your experience seems normal. It would be nice if they fixed this message so properly update.
Here in Alaska in the winter, I leave the garage with a "warm" battery and by the time I'm down the hill in single-digit temps the cold battery warning has popped up. Performance is minimally impacted, however.

With studded tires and temperatures around 20F I'm averaging about 45 kWh/100 miles. Most of my drives are short unfortunately, usually between 5 to 15 miles one way, with the car sitting in the cold between trips.

· Administrator
2,711 Posts
I saw this message (icon) disappear several times. Just yesterday, I saw this message (icon) disappear while driving for ~30mins at ~1°C.

In your case, the heat from inside the cells probaly made it to the outside while you left the car.

· Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Used the timer for this mornings' commute and the consumption was better on the way into work. Yesterday at 19 degrees I got 37.7kWh/100 miles and this morning at 25 degrees with battery preconditioning I got 31.1kWh/100 miles. Not sure if the ambient temp or the preconditioning made the biggest difference. Still hit the climate tab on the app to get the interior warmed up though.

· Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Timer will always cool/heat the interio, pre-heating the battery below 10°C(?) is on top.
If the timer cools/heats the interior, is the climate tab on the app orange or still yellow like when it's not on? I waited till 5 minutes before I left for work to manually turn on the climate tab since it was still yellow then waited 15 more minutes to get it unto temp. I was a bit late for work but who cares, I'm the first one here by an hour anyway so no-one will know. :)

· Registered
1,551 Posts
Same convo is happening over on the official Facebook page. That's how you really know winter has set in!

1. The snowflake icon can/will disappear while driving. However, when that will happen is completely dependent on what the ambient temp is, how cold the battery was to start, how long your drive is, and how 'hard' you're driving the car (lots of regen will heat the battery real quick!).

2. The primary way to pre-heat the battery is to set a timer when the car is plugged into an active charger/EVSE. Meaning not a charger that is itself on a schedule and unable to deliver power. With this setup, if the timer is set and the battery is below a certain temperature threshold (where you'd see the snowflake icon), it will prioritize heating the battery, and the cabin will be warmed more slowly.

3. If you select to manually initiate climate within the app, and you're still plugged into an active charger/EVSE, and it wasn't already charging (fyi, if it's charging, it's also warming the battery), then you'll see that charging is reactivated...which does warm the battery. HOWEVER, that is not the priority under that method. Under that method the priority is the cabin, because it assumes you're leaving imminently, and not 15-30 minutes from now.

4. If you are not plugged into an active charger then no method will heat the battery, which makes sense, because that would be counterproduive.

· Registered
1,551 Posts
If the timer cools/heats the interior, is the climate tab on the app orange or still yellow like when it's not on? I waited till 5 minutes before I left for work to manually turn on the climate tab since it was still yellow then waited 15 more minutes to get it unto temp. I was a bit late for work but who cares, I'm the first one here by an hour anyway so no-one will know. :)
When a timer is active, the block is orange in the app.

· Registered
1,551 Posts
Used the timer for this mornings' commute and the consumption was better on the way into work. Yesterday at 19 degrees I got 37.7kWh/100 miles and this morning at 25 degrees with battery preconditioning I got 31.1kWh/100 miles. Not sure if the ambient temp or the preconditioning made the biggest difference. Still hit the climate tab on the app to get the interior warmed up though.
Are you using the timer the correct way? The timer is set for your departure time, not when you want it to start. For example, if you know you're leaving at 8am, set the timer for 8am, not 7:45 or 7:30.

· Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Are you using the timer the correct way? The timer is set for your departure time, not when you want it to start. For example, if you know you're leaving at 8am, set the timer for 8am, not 7:45 or 7:30.
I have my charge timer set for 8:30 PM to 6:00AM. I leave for work at 6AM.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts