Polestar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
The fact that there is so much confusion is a fantastic example of why the current implementation is poor.

It shouldn't be so difficult to make sure you're ready to head out when weather is poor. Sure setting a charge/climate timer works when your schedule is consistent but for a lot of people that isn't the case.
Yes and no. I hear what you're saying, but then I also understand, and appreciate, why Polestar/Volvo implemented it the way that they did.

If they just made it so that the manual preheat selection prioritized the battery heating, then people would be complaining that the cabin isn't being warmed, or warmed enough. You have to understand that you're choosing to prioritize one or the other with a variable charger input and an unknown departure time in the case of manually initiating the preheating of the cabin.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Not the charging timer. The climate timer is the one you're looking for. You can set them in the app or in the car on the climate page.
Guess that's the one I can't seem to find. As my studio is two floors underground I can't use the app to look for it. Maybe at lunch time I'll go sit in the car to find the one on the climate page.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yes and no. I hear what you're saying, but then I also understand, and appreciate, why Polestar/Volvo implemented it the way that they did.

If they just made it so that the manual preheat selection prioritized the battery heating, then people would be complaining that the cabin isn't being warmed, or warmed enough. You have to understand that you're choosing to prioritize one or the other with a variable charger input and an unknown departure time in the case of manually initiating the preheating of the cabin.
You can have your opinion, and polestar can have their reasons, but if there's anything I've learned while developing features for actual customers it's that perception is reality.

It doesn't matter how smart you think you're being, if the end result is a clunky and difficult to understand logic/experience then you've failed. It absolutely shouldn't require a multi-bullet explanation for how the feature works/how to make the feature work. Tesla's implementation is far more elegant and required none of the additional explanation.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
You can have your opinion, and polestar can have their reasons, but if there's anything I've learned while developing features for actual customers it's that perception is reality.

It doesn't matter how smart you think you're being, if the end result is a clunky and difficult to understand logic/experience then you've failed. It absolutely shouldn't require a multi-bullet explanation for how the feature works/how to make the feature work. Tesla's implementation is far more elegant and required none of the additional explanation.
Unless something has changed, then Tesla's setup is basically the same...because they have to work around the same real-world issue of prioritizing the battery or the cabin within a known (scheduled departure) or unknown (manual climate request via app) timeframe. They, like Polestar, recommend setting a scheduled departure time (aka: battery is prioritized and cabin is heated more slowly). Outside of that, you can, like Polestar, initiate manually in the app....which prioritizes the cabin over the battery. And like Polestar, Tesla's only precondition the battery if it's plugged into an active charger.

·
Registered
192 Posts
This is the Tesla app for scheduling. A few points:
  • Setting the time is way easier in the Tesla app since it uses the android clock input. The polestar app rejects your input if you accidentally select the wrong box and it exceeds an expected value. For example, trying to select "10:00 am" but you select the second digit instead of the first or there's already a 4 in the second digit.
  • Tesla clearly explains the function will heat the battery and condition the cabin.
  • Confirmation at the bottom clearly explains the next time it will run and what it will do.

Font Rectangle Screenshot Darkness Multimedia

Also, for polestar I understand you're saying it will prioritize cabin preheating when pressing the climate start in the app, but I allowed the full 30 minutes in 35°F while connected to a charger and the battery still had the snowflake. So battery conditioning in that scenario is absolutely minimal.

On a Model S, same day it preheated the battery sufficiently while pressing the climate start option. Tesla interaction is far from perfect, don't get me wrong, but I've had far less confusion with it as clearly laid out. No need to wonder if it's the climate timer or the charge timer that's supposed to help.

All this said, it's clearly confusing for the average polestar customer which means the implementation is poor. I don't see how that's even an argument and it's not a bad thing to highlight this kind of HMI deficiency.

It doesn't help when the app detail for charge timers further confuses the matter by suggesting the charge timer is the right way to prep the battery even though my vehicle finishes charging long before the end time and it provides no benefit.

Font Parallel Number Screenshot Circle

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
This is the Tesla app for scheduling. A few points:
  • Setting the time is way easier in the Tesla app since it uses the android clock input. The polestar app rejects your input if you accidentally select the wrong box and it exceeds an expected value. For example, trying to select "10:00 am" but you select the second digit instead of the first or there's already a 4 in the second digit.
  • Tesla clearly explains the function will heat the battery and condition the cabin.
  • Confirmation at the bottom clearly explains the next time it will run and what it will do.

View attachment 19865

Also, for polestar I understand you're saying it will prioritize cabin preheating when pressing the climate start in the app, but I allowed the full 30 minutes in 35°F while connected to a charger and the battery still had the snowflake. So battery conditioning in that scenario is absolutely minimal.

On a Model S, same day it preheated the battery sufficiently while pressing the climate start option. Tesla interaction is far from perfect, don't get me wrong, but I've had far less confusion with it as clearly laid out. No need to wonder if it's the climate timer or the charge timer that's supposed to help.

All this said, it's clearly confusing for the average polestar customer which means the implementation is poor. I don't see how that's even an argument and it's not a bad thing to highlight this kind of HMI deficiency.

It doesn't help when the app detail for charge timers further confuses the matter by suggesting the charge timer is the right way to prep the battery even though my vehicle finishes charging long before the end time and it provides no benefit.

View attachment 19866
Again, I hear what you're saying. What Tesla is doing is playing to the lowest common denominator. What Polestar is doing is trying to give the most detail, but perhaps not delivering it well. I appreciate Polestar's approach FAR more than Tesla's.

The info from Polestar about using the charging timer is correct in addition to using the climate timer. The battery is warmed by the mere fact that it's charging. That's just a reality of charging. So if you set your charge timer and climate timer in relation to each other, you're being the most energy efficient.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
The primary way to pre-heat the battery is to set a timer when the car is plugged into an active charger/EVSE. Meaning not a charger that is itself on a schedule and unable to deliver power.
Question : If you have an active charger (e.g no schedule on you charger) , and you are enable scheduled charging from the car itself (e.g midnight-4am for Octopus UK cheap rate), and you set scheduled preheat outside of that timeframe (e.g. leaving at 7am for work) will it preheat the battery from the mains??

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Question : If you have an active charger (e.g no schedule on you charger) , and you are enable scheduled charging from the car itself (e.g midnight-4am for Octopus UK cheap rate), and you set scheduled preheat outside of that timeframe (e.g. leaving at 7am for work) will it preheat the battery from the mains??
That's a great question. I'm not sure, since I don't use the onboard scheduled charging.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Edit: sorry I misread, I'm not sure either.

·
Registered
2022 Polestar 2, Snow, Pilot
390 Posts
As per the FAQ on the website, regardless of whether you use the charging timer or simply start by plugging in, the vehicle won't pre-condition the battery unless it is scheduled to finish above 80%.

Earlier in the year, we released battery preconditioning when the car is plugged into an AC charger. This function preconditions the battery for optimal efficiency towards the end of the charge cycle when you are charging above 80%. We have now linked this function to the climate timer as well. Typically, you will have set the climate timer to precondition the car in time for your journey, and now the battery can be preconditioned according to the same time scale.

They should make this all clearer and more accessible.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
As per the FAQ on the website, regardless of whether you use the charging timer or simply start by plugging in, the vehicle won't pre-condition the battery unless it is scheduled to finish above 80%.

Earlier in the year, we released battery preconditioning when the car is plugged into an AC charger. This function preconditions the battery for optimal efficiency towards the end of the charge cycle when you are charging above 80%. We have now linked this function to the climate timer as well. Typically, you will have set the climate timer to precondition the car in time for your journey, and now the battery can be preconditioned according to the same time scale.

They should make this all clearer and more accessible.
The SoC requirement was dropped pretty early on in an update.

·
Registered
2022 Polestar 2, Snow, Pilot
390 Posts
Ah, ok. Would be nice if they updated the website, especially as that's way back with 1.8.

So there are only two direct ways of pre-conditioning the battery:
1. Set a charging timer
2. Set a climate pre-conditioning timer.

Indirectly, as you mentioned above, some conditioning will happen from the charging process itself, but that's not monitored or controlled.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Ah, ok. Would be nice if they updated the website, especially as that's way back with 1.8.

So there are only two direct ways of pre-conditioning the battery:
1. Set a charging timer
2. Set a climate pre-conditioning timer.

Indirectly, as you mentioned above, some conditioning will happen from the charging process itself, but that's not monitored or controlled.
Their wording in the instructions around a charging timer are probably not well phrased. The battery in that situation is warmed indirectly, simply as a result of charging, but isn't actively being heated to reach or exceed the threshold where you might see the snowflake icon. Though again, depending on ambient and existing battery temps, that might be all that's needed to lift the battery up over that threshold. Currently, the only method that actively prioritizes heating the battery is to set a climate timer(s).

21 - 40 of 58 Posts