Polestar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way to clean out the small leaves and cigarettes that come flying into the air intake?
Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Grille Car

Grille Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design Automotive exterior

It most likely doesn't affect the performance of the car however I'm ornery to the point where it pesters me at night thinking about the bug bodies and leaves that get trapped back there.

·
Registered
2022 Polestar 2, Snow, Pilot
111 Posts
That's your AC condenser (or heat pump, if you have one, same thing) ... there are foams that you can spray on it just like your home AC outdoor unit, but a gentle rinse with water is best. The aluminum fins are easily bent / crushed, so don't use a scraper or hard brush.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've tried using car shampoo and a pressure washer down there but all I achieve is moving the debris around some. I also probably couldn't use a brush or scraper if I wanted to, there's 2-3 plastic support layers or something that make getting anything past it kind of awkward. Does it fall out of the car if I push it down while pressure washing? Maybe an air compressor to push it down?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Try some Rainx or TurtleWax Bug & Tar Remover if you really need to try. Spray on then gently rinse.

Nearly all vehicles on the road have the condenser as the first point of contact for bugs and stuff. Its not a problem until many many years down the line where you may want to really clean it.

But do not use a pressure washer! If there are any micro-fissures that you cause, it will be a nightmare. I've replaced two condensers on "normal" cars and it is major surgery. With the parts you will need, you may be out of luck for quite some time (not to mention big $$$) and although I can't be sure on the P2, many cars (my other included) use the AC system for more than just cooling the passengers down.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I like leaf blowers! ... i used to "vacuum" my house in the desert with a leaf blower when I was single. nothing cleans under sofas like a leaf blower. sigh...

I'd try spraying the bug & tar on, then let it dry. really dry. then a soft brush should knock off all of those (and a leaf blower for good measure).

Just don't overdo anything. It was $2800 to replace the condenser on a 15 year old Volvo.

If it does start leaking one day and your AC goes out (and most probably many other things that count on it) and can be shown to be due to rocks or sand from the road, remember that that's a valid comprehensive insurance claim.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright, I'll try them all out, if worse comes to worse I'm just going to just live with it and not look down there. Thanks for all the feedback guys, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
929 Posts
It most likely doesn't affect the performance of the car however I'm ornery to the point where it pesters me at night thinking about the bug bodies and leaves that get trapped back there.
I think the best long-term solution probably involves some prescription meds. Probably true for many of us on this forum.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts