Polestar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Dual Motor | Snow | Plus/Pilot/Performance
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently started noticing clicking sounds to the left of the steering wheel. Sounds like relays. It happens constantly. Has anyone else noticed this and what could it be?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have similar sounds. When there is a bump in the road or similar, I hear a mechanical clicking from the left front wheel and I also hear something that sounds like relay. I get the same relay sound when I go near the car with the key. I have seen other posts about clicking sounds but explanation.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I've recently started noticing clicking sounds to the left of the steering wheel. Sounds like relays. It happens constantly. Has anyone else noticed this and what could it be?
Mine are on the right of the steering wheel :p But then again I'm in a right hand drive. And yes it sounds like relays. I tend to when the song beats go like this, pump up the volume, pump up the volume, pump up the volume, dance dance, mars needs women :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
8 Posts
The crackling and clacking noises currently occurring in the passenger compartment of my Polestar 2:

1. When driving out of the garage / underground garage in the current summer temperatures are clear sounds of actuators accompanied by loud clacking from the lower, front area of the center console. This lasts about 1 minute and then silence.
The problem seems to occur only when changing from cool->warm. If the car is parked in the sun (=hot/warm) or the start is in the late (=cool) night there is no noise. (Problem came with P2.0)
2. when changing from "power" to "coasting" there is a clearly audible crackling noise behind the display cockpit. It is definitely not the familiar rattle/crackle of the steering column cover! (Problem came with P2.1)
3. when activating recuperation (whether OPD or brake!) a clack, similar to a relay switch, can be heard from the center console in the area of the selector lever. When the accelerator/power is subsequently applied, there is a much louder "relay clack". The behavior comes and goes randomly, making it difficult to reproduce. It often occurs in slow-moving traffic around 40km/h with constant changes recuperation <-> current. (Problem came after several 1000km with P2.1).

Test it by your own....

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It indeed happens mostly in slow moving traffic. I'm very sure it only started recently. Two weeks ago. I know my cars. I know exactly what sounds they make and it's definitely new.

I'll take the car in for service when I get home from vacation. There are some other issues as well.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I didn't notice it until I read this thread 😂

I assume it's just normal operating
Mine seems to make the noise most as I Transitioned between gas and coasting or other very light throttle applications

·
Registered
Magnesium&Slate Launch Edition, 19"
242 Posts
I started noticing it this summer. The clicking can be heard to the left of the steering wheel, and also on the outside, when driving with an open window. From the outside it sounds like the ticking of a gasoline engine when it is cooling down.
In my case it can be reproduced consistently under these conditions:
  • one pedal drive set to 'light'
  • at a moderate forward speed
  • fully release the accelerator
I'm bringing her in for first maintenance soon and will drop the remark. If I get feedback, I'll drop it in this thread.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I started noticing it this summer. The clicking can be heard to the left of the steering wheel, and also on the outside, when driving with an open window. From the outside it sounds like the ticking of a gasoline engine when it is cooling down.
In my case it can be reproduced consistently under these conditions:
  • one pedal drive set to 'light'
  • at a moderate forward speed
  • fully release the accelerator
I'm bringing her in for first maintenance soon and will drop the remark. If I get feedback, I'll drop it in this thread.
Mine does it under the exact same conditions

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep same here. Drove 900km yesterday and it's very noticeable. I'm 100% sure this is relatively new. Maybe since 2.2

·
Registered
'21, 2, Dual Motor, Black
21 Posts
I thought it was in my head, or maybe something in the passenger compartment. It's not loud enough to be alarming but I'm hearing it as well from the left driver's wheel well. Either didn't notice or it only starting happening in the past few months. I think it's happening during regen. Maybe hot weather related?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts