Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Polestar 2 arrived on Friday, I drove 160 miles without issue, however yesterday a clicking/tapping sound has started when the car brakes. Sounds like it is coming from the front driver side wheel area. I have looked but cannot see anything a miss. Anyone else experienced the same?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on getting your car!

I haven't heard this type issue from any others on the forum before. I'd think if it was tied to the motor then it wouldn't be appearing to come from a specific side so likely something non BEV specific.

Maybe check the tire for a nail? Alternatively you could have some tiny debris in the brakes (happens on any car) and just need to give it a strong amount of braking in a safe area to clear the pads/rotor.

Also, are you PP or non-PP?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Congrats, and welcome!

As to your issue, the car blends regen and brakes even when you use the pedal, so it's hard to say what it could be without more detail. Could be as simple as something embedded in, or stuck on the rotor that will eventually clear itself out, but I'd call CS and have it looked at just to be safe.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Just the noise when slowing down?

Then it's probably the relays turning on / off. The car always regenerates even with OPD in the OFF mode, unless you are slamming the brakes on.

Also you will get a similar noise when you first drive the car after a a day sitting outside.

Reactions: polerad

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. Car is non performance pack. The noise comes when slowing down, almost sounds like something clicking the wheel as it rotates. This is only apparent when braking, and slows as speed slows so suspect something is stuck somewhere but I cannot see anything. Will give support a call in the morning to see what they suggest.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I suspect it’s similar to a clicking noise I heard when slowing to a stop with the music off. Turned out was a set of relays that click at levels of braking engaging from no braking to braking and at different intensities of braking from there.
For me I can reproduce it every time the power meter goes from Orange (acceleration/motor) to white (regen/braking). This is entirely normal and in all our cars

Reactions: mgjazz

·
Registered
Void, Charcoal
616 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Car is non performance pack. The noise comes when slowing down, almost sounds like something clicking the wheel as it rotates. This is only apparent when braking, and slows as speed slows so suspect something is stuck somewhere but I cannot see anything. Will give support a call in the morning to see what they suggest.
I hear the same noise. It only happens while actually slowing down using only regen. And I only hear it at very low speeds, just before stopping. It's faint, but it almost sounds like a playing card being held into the spokes of a spinning bicycle wheel.
The sound disappears when getting off the brake (or pushing the accelerator pedal, in OPD mode). So it isn't something mechanical related to tires or wheels.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I hear the same noise. It only happens while actually slowing down using only regen. And I only hear it at very low speeds, just before stopping. It's faint, but it almost sounds like a playing card being held into the spokes of a spinning bicycle wheel.
The sound disappears when getting off the brake (or pushing the accelerator pedal, in OPD mode). So it isn't something mechanical related to tires or wheels.
I definitely don't hear anything like that - I'd get it checked out.

·
Registered
Polestar 2 PP Void
33 Posts
A couple of months back during winter I had significant tapping noise when slowing down with regen and could not see anything obvious causing it, but it went away after next car wash - so probably was something in the wheels/brakes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The ticking noise appeared on my ps2 a couple of months ago is been tracked to a CV joint not cover which hasn't got the flexibility and pliablity. So it needs two visits 1 week apart to apply some special grease that they've had to order in. It's going in next weekfor application 1.

·
Registered
Launch Edition since Oct 20. 25k miles driven.
2,403 Posts
The ticking noise appeared on my ps2 a couple of months ago is been tracked to a CV joint not cover which hasn't got the flexibility and pliablity. So it needs two visits 1 week apart to apply some special grease that they've had to order in. It's going in next weekfor application 1.
Mine didn’t need a 2nd visit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have owned my polestar for 10 months and 8,000+ miles and I’m encountering a similar issue to what is described in this thread.

The other day I backed the car into a parking spot and then later pulled forward to leave. It was then I heard a short metallic crunching noise from the front. At first, I thought maybe this was the brake calipers sticking, which sometimes happens when they get a little surface rust. But in this case the noise didn’t occur until I had already driven forward about 10 feet.
Ever since this happened, whenever I am coming to a stop, I hear a faint speed-relative clicking noise coming from the front. It almost sounds like the “playing card in the bicycle spoke” sound. I almost always come to a complete stop using lift-off regen. I only hear this sound at slow speed when regen is active. The clicks occur faster than one rotation of the wheel, so I think that eliminates something in the tire.

No one in this thread mentioned the crunching noise that initiated the issue for me. It almost sounds the same as how ChiMatt described it. Was the solution a CV joint?

·
Registered
Void, Charcoal
616 Posts
I have owned my polestar for 10 months and 8,000+ miles and I’m encountering a similar issue to what is described in this thread.

The other day I backed the car into a parking spot and then later pulled forward to leave. It was then I heard a short metallic crunching noise from the front. At first, I thought maybe this was the brake calipers sticking, which sometimes happens when they get a little surface rust. But in this case the noise didn’t occur until I had already driven forward about 10 feet.
Ever since this happened, whenever I am coming to a stop, I hear a faint speed-relative clicking noise coming from the front. It almost sounds like the “playing card in the bicycle spoke” sound. I almost always come to a complete stop using lift-off regen. I only hear this sound at slow speed when regen is active. The clicks occur faster than one rotation of the wheel, so I think that eliminates something in the tire.

No one in this thread mentioned the crunching noise that initiated the issue for me. It almost sounds the same as how ChiMatt described it. Was the solution a CV joint?
First off, there is now another thread about this issue. There are definitely more people hearing the same thing that I am hearing.

Second, in my case and all the other cases I know of - except yours - the noise comes from the back. I don't remember a crunching noise either.

The other thread is titled "Expensive sounding noise from rear motor??" - and in it there is a video that someone took with a GoPro mounted under the car to capture the sound. You can check it out and compare.

Finally, there is no "resolution" for me yet. The noise is there and pretty much unchanged since the time I first noticed it. The sound seems most pronounced when I start driving and becomes less noticeable later on. Perhaps it has something to do with the temperature of certain components? (Just guessing here.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
First off, there is now another thread about this issue. There are definitely more people hearing the same thing that I am hearing.

Second, in my case and all the other cases I know of - except yours - the noise comes from the back. I don't remember a crunching noise either.

The other thread is titled "Expensive sounding noise from rear motor??" - and in it there is a video that someone took with a GoPro mounted under the car to capture the sound. You can check it out and compare.

Finally, there is no "resolution" for me yet. The noise is there and pretty much unchanged since the time I first noticed it. The sound seems most pronounced when I start driving and becomes less noticeable later on. Perhaps it has something to do with the temperature of certain components? (Just guessing here.)
Thank you for pointing me to the other thread. I probably should have searched the forum a little better. The sound is very similar to that first GoPro video in the other thread, except that it sounds like it's coming from the front in my case. I will do a little more testing and reply in the other thread if I find out more. Thank you for the information.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I suspect it’s similar to a clicking noise I heard when slowing to a stop with the music off. Turned out was a set of relays that click at levels of braking engaging from no braking to braking and at different intensities of braking from there.
For me I can reproduce it every time the power meter goes from Orange (acceleration/motor) to white (regen/braking). This is entirely normal and in all our cars
Hi,
sorry for bumping this older post, but I have a question about relays clicking when slowing down.
I understand when releasing throttle, there is a relay engaging to activate the regen in OPD mode.
In my car this relay is constantly clicking ON and OFF whilst slowing down the car (whitout touching the brakes),
the frequency of clicking is correlated to the speed of the car (slower speed = slower clicking), is this normal?
I thought it would click only once when releasing throttle?
(best heard when OPD set to low, it's very faint and only noticeable with music off)

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Hi,
sorry for bumping this older post, but I have a question about relays clicking when slowing down.
I understand when releasing throttle, there is a relay engaging to activate the regen in OPD mode.
In my car this relay is constantly clicking ON and OFF whilst slowing down the car (whitout touching the brakes),
the frequency of clicking is correlated to the speed of the car (slower speed = slower clicking), is this normal?
I thought it would click only once when releasing throttle?
(best heard when OPD set to low, it's very faint and only noticeable with music off)
I didn’t really pursue the issue more once I accepted it was a part of the usual car functioning.
I suspect the relay clicks at transitions from friction brakes to regen or the other way around; when the ABS system is engaging; and at transitions between different levels of either regen or friction braking.
if you raised the issue when the car was in service I’d imagine you would get told it’s normal so just ignore it, like I was.

Reactions: K2.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I didn’t really pursue the issue more once I accepted it was a part of the usual car functioning.
I suspect the relay clicks at transitions from friction brakes to regen or the other way around; when the ABS system is engaging; and at transitions between different levels of either regen or friction braking.
if you raised the issue when the car was in service I’d imagine you would get told it’s normal so just ignore it, like I was.
update:

As an electrical and electronics technician, I'm familiar with how electronics work (or how it should work), and to me this behavior doesn't feel right.
According to me this relay is related to the system that directs the current either to the electric motor (acceleration) or from the electric motor (regen).
(That is if the sound is coming from this relay, it could be something else...)
On another (dutch) Polestar forum there are the same reports, it looks like this clicking sound started with update 2.1, so it could be related to an issue in this update .
Anyway, I contacted my service center and they said I wasn't the first one to report this "issue".
They've forwarded these reports to Polestar HQ and are waiting for them to respond.

I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
In my PP car I think I might have heard this clicking yesterday. Sounds like it’s from the driver side A polar higher up, and can only hear it with music off/low at city speeds. Seems correlated to speed like you say.
I only noticed it going to work in the morning, not so much in the afternoon - not sure why that might matter.
do keep us posted!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Could the clicking be the brake light switch? I hear this clicking as well and suspect it could be at the threshold for brake light application during Regen without the brake pressed. Brake light switch generally is a mechanical switch on the pedal and would be in the right place for where the sounds seem to be coming from

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I specifically listened for this clicking on the same commute, route, etc this AM and honestly couldn’t hear it. Given it’s intermittent and seems to have come after a software update, I’m fairly certain it’s not hardware related directly. I almost wonder if it’s related to speed modulation of audio output?

in either case, filing away as yet another random non disabling tech bug that all my devices seem to suffer on occasion.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts