Polestar Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not sure it’s the brake pedal, I did some more testing and the clicking stops when hitting the brake pedal.
brake light needs to be checked by someone outside the car, to see if the brake lights turn on or are flickering when releasing the throttle with OPD set to low.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I hear the same ticking sound. It is quite easy to replicate, with OPD on max, once I let go I hear a very faint ticking sound. I’m not sure it is brake lights on/off or just ticking «on a curve» for the braking intensity. I don’t hope the brake lights come on as often as the ticking, because then I might be the most annoying car to drive behind..

It is the same ticking sound that you hear in the morning (or after the car has been sitting for a while) when you sit down and everything is powering on.

·
Registered
153 Posts
This noise drives me nuts because I'm worried something will wear out from switching so much! It doesn't correlate to the brake lights (I tested this one night when I could see my brake lights in mirrors), but seems to happen when crossing from no regen to regen or maybe a little ways into regen ramping up. It is almost like it switches at a very low amount of deceleration, but lower than the amount that turns on the brake lights. My first thought was a relay, but any relays should be solid state (inaudible). If it is a mechanical relay/switch, I'm afraid of wearing it out because it switches a lot if you are operating around the trigger point. I need to test again to see if it happens without OPD. I always drive with OPD.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This noise drives me nuts because I'm worried something will wear out from switching so much! It doesn't correlate to the brake lights (I tested this one night when I could see my brake lights in mirrors), but seems to happen when crossing from no regen to regen or maybe a little ways into regen ramping up. It is almost like it switches at a very low amount of deceleration, but lower than the amount that turns on the brake lights. My first thought was a relay, but any relays should be solid state (inaudible). If it is a mechanical relay/switch, I'm afraid of wearing it out because it switches a lot if you are operating around the trigger point. I need to test again to see if it happens without OPD. I always drive with OPD.
As a very new owner was disappointed to take care out of farage and when releasing the brake peddle to reverse an swful graunching soundcfromnunder the car. I thought i had done something wrong or ran over something . Then whilst driving definitely started hearing the knocking that changes speed with speed. Hubby thought it might be related to brakes. Is this normal with all EV's or have we bought a dud? Didnt see any of this when i was reading reviews prior to purchasing of course. I hope they can sort it out. Obviously from these posts it is still safe to drive??

·
Registered
6 Posts
As a very new owner was disappointed to take care out of farage and when releasing the brake peddle to reverse an swful graunching soundcfromnunder the car. I thought i had done something wrong or ran over something . Then whilst driving definitely started hearing the knocking that changes speed with speed. Hubby thought it might be related to brakes. Is this normal with all EV's or have we bought a dud? Didnt see any of this when i was reading reviews prior to purchasing of course. I hope they can sort it out. Obviously from these posts it is still safe to drive??
oops, that doesn't sound right, looks like you have a mechanical defect of some sort, cars aren't supposed to make grinding or knocking sounds.
you better go to your service point for an inspection! it's not safe to drive like this.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
The grinding sound for the first 30 seconds or so is likely the brake self cleaning mode. Because the brakes are not used much (most stopping power comes from regeneration), the car will drag the brakes on the rotors to clean them of rust when starting out on a drive. It is much more obvious after driving in the rain or washing the car as more rust forms. Also, the longer the car sits with wet rotors the more rust to clean.

There is a known problem with the brake pad material binding to the rotor and breaking off - you will hear and feel that as a rhythmic clunking that varies directly with speed. The Polestar service location will replace the rotors and brake pads if this is the case. But if the grinding goes away and everything is then working as normal, then the car is behaving as designed.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
109 Posts
The grinding sound for the first 30 seconds or so is likely the brake self cleaning mode. Because the brakes are not used much (most stopping power comes from regeneration), the car will drag the brakes on the rotors to clean them of rust when starting out on a drive. It is much more obvious after driving in the rain or washing the car as more rust forms. Also, the longer the car sits with wet rotors the more rust to clean.

There is a known problem with the brake pad material binding to the rotor and breaking off - you will hear and feel that as a rhythmic clunking that varies directly with speed. The Polestar service location will replace the rotors and brake pads if this is the case. But if the grinding goes away and everything is then working as normal, then the car is behaving as designed.

Hope this helps!
If you are going to replace the pads I highly suggest installation of ceramic pads. They are somewhat more expensive but don't rust onto the rotor like the stock semi-metallic pads.

Reactions: Mick

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I doubt I'll need to replace the pads anytime soon as the cleaning function probably wears them more than my actual driving does. ;)

21 - 28 of 28 Posts