Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally found a shop to install my Cobra Suspension North America lowering springs. 30mm front, 35mm rear. The ride quality is fantastic - install costs quite a bit and requires a special Volvo tool or to drop the front subframe (I had to go this route). I wish it came this high from factory and then could be lowered from there. It looks like a standard height car.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Vehicle registration plate

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

The tool is huge and didn't end up working on my struts. Apparently the bottom part of the tool is to "cup" your spring perch from below but my particular struts were too thick to get the tool onto, even though they are OEM and were never touched. This may have been a ploy by the shop to get me to pay more for the install, who knows.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The ride is great but I may be biased due to always having lowered cars. It doesn't waft over big dips in the roads, it has a more controlled feel. Still feels like a heavy car, but gives more confidence. You will notice bumps in the road which you could swear weren't there before - especially in the slow lanes where Semi-Trucks run.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wonder if that has to do with the 19s? I'm running the non-PP 20s and there is no wafting what so ever. It is extremely tight.
I don't think it would be the 19's since the car changed only after the lowering springs. It's difficult to describe the feeling I mean. It's like the back of the car would travel at a different rate than the front over large dips and bumps. Whatever it was, it doesn't do that anymore.

2023 Polestar 2 PPP Jupiter
23 Posts
Hi all,

Here's our company pic Polestar 2 with Cobra Suspension 30mm Front / 35mm R Lowering springs installed!

Who's thinking of lowering your P2s?

We'll be getting our own personal 2023 Polestar with all three packages in Jupiter color in Oct (been postponed like everyone else:rolleyes:) and will install the springs and update with new pics with new car color! Enjoy a pic for now and show me your P2s!

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

2023 Polestar 2 PPP Jupiter
23 Posts
🔥🔥🔥:love: Thanks for repping our Cobra Lowering springs! I hope you don’t mind me grabbing some of your pics for our social media! 🙏🏻

· Registered
21' P2 Pilot/Plus
240 Posts
Installed mine yesterday. I saw right around 1" drop all around. Looks like it should have come this way. The fronts are a nightmare to install with out the special Volvo tool. Supposedly you can undo the lower control arms to make this easier but that method would not work for me. Had to drop the subframe ~2" and get a bit crazy on compressing the spring in the car to get them out. The rears were the complete opposite. If it took 15 fifteen minutes I think that would be an exaggeration.

Wood Machine Natural material Tool Shotgun

All done!
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

· Registered
21' P2 Pilot/Plus
240 Posts
Just got back from aligning the car. With the spring drop the cars gain a 1/2 degree of negative camber all around. That definitely helps the cornering. It's obvious when driving you have more cornering grip. The front toes out a bit and the rears toe in. The front toe can be adjusted but there is no adjustment in the rear. There has to be an adjustable version from some other Volvo that interchanges. Just need to find it.

Here is before and after the lowering the springs were installed. After this I adjusted the front toe to straight ahead.

Light Product Font Automotive tire Auto part

· Registered
21' P2 Pilot/Plus
240 Posts
I found Hardrace makes camber and toe adjusters for the rear. I'd like to dial the rear camber back to ~1 degree negative. The fronts not sure what can be done. You might be able to get +/- 1/4 degree of camber with some under cut bolts on the strut towers allowing for a little bit of movement.

· Registered
13 Posts
Installed mine yesterday. I saw right around 1" drop all around. Looks like it should have come this way. The fronts are a nightmare to install with out the special Volvo tool. Supposedly you can undo the lower control arms to make this easier but that method would not work for me. Had to drop the subframe ~2" and get a bit crazy on compressing the spring in the car to get them out. The rears were the complete opposite. If it took 15 fifteen minutes I think that would be an exaggeration.

View attachment 17557

All done!
View attachment 17556
I’m still waiting for delivery of my car so haven’t had a chance yet to look at the design of the front suspension. My guess is that that big Volvo special clamp tool is to lift the strut assembly up and out of the lower strut mount. Is that correct? If that’s the case I can understand why the subframe would have to be dropped to free the strut from the lower mount without that tool. I saw one video of a coillover installation on a V90. The lower strut mount on that suspension was some sort of fork that attached to the lower control arm. The technician in that video simply removed the fork mount to get the strut out of the lower mount. I’m guessing the Polestar has a different design which makes it necessary to instead drop the subframe. Is that correct? I have done a couple of coilover installations before but only on Audi and VW. Seems a bit more complicated on Polestar/Volvo then unfortunately…

· Registered
21' P2 Pilot/Plus
240 Posts
Correct. There's just not enough space to pull the strut up and out of the hub assembly. If I were to do it again I'd probably pay someone to do it that had the proper tool. That's blasphemy coming from me too. I haven't paid a mechanic to do anything to my cars in decades.

· Registered
3 Posts
Finally found a shop to install my Cobra Suspension North America lowering springs. 30mm front, 35mm rear. The ride quality is fantastic - install costs quite a bit and requires a special Volvo tool or to drop the front subframe (I had to go this route). I wish it came this high from factory and then could be lowered from there. It looks like a standard height car.

View attachment 13840 View attachment 13841
View attachment 13842
Thinking about getting the Polestar 2 and doing this exactly. How much is "quite a bit" to install tho? Now you have me worried, haha. Thanks, looks great!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts