Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need the Polestar 2 community’s help. I am starting to get cold feet as the time to pull the trigger on purchasing gets near. I absolutely love the car. Was able to inspect it thoroughly, though without a test drive, in Manhattan. The build quality is impeccable. I’ve seen every video review and followed this forum closely. My hesitancy has always been living in North Carolina 400 miles from the nearest service center. Now with the relatively minor hiccups with the roll out ie 12v battery, Headlight alignment, lack of OTA updates I’m getting nervous. Still due for a September delivery. Help me with my reluctance. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Not in your situation re distance from Space, but have swung from cold feet to running headlong into the purchase and back again.

If I were in your shoes, the main thing I'd be worried about is the OTA update issue. All the current bugs relate to software, and relate to relative inconveniences, nothing disabling for the fundamental functions of the car - based on the reports of other folks in this and other forums (fora?). If OTA were in place, then servicing would be fairly straightforward - you could just get the software patches OTA.

So I'd try to gain a concession of sorts from Polestar that they will pay for and cover the service to enable OTA updates when that's ready. And, for any critical updates that arise in the interim - ideally from an authorized service point closer to you.

Based on at least one report (IIRC from @I_Kent_Spelgud ) it seems like certain Volvo dealers are already in process for being set up as Polestar Service Points, I'm sure closer to you in NC than NY. But they probably can't officially announce that. I'd use that information in your discussion.

And I would try to hold off on having this discussion until delivery is actually being planned and you're talking with someone more enabled than Mike/Alane. For now hold off the cold feet anxiety until you have that conversation.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not in your situation re distance from Space, but have swung from cold feet to running headlong into the purchase and back again.

If I were in your shoes, the main thing I'd be worried about is the OTA update issue. All the current bugs relate to software, and relate to relative inconveniences, nothing disabling for the fundamental functions of the car - based on the reports of other folks in this and other forums (fora?). If OTA were in place, then servicing would be fairly straightforward - you could just get the software patches OTA.

So I'd try to gain a concession of sorts from Polestar that they will pay for and cover the service to enable OTA updates when that's ready. And, for any critical updates that arise in the interim - ideally from an authorized service point closer to you.

Based on at least one report (IIRC from @I_Kent_Spelgud ) it seems like certain Volvo dealers are already in process for being set up as Polestar Service Points, I'm sure closer to you in NC than NY. But they probably can't officially announce that. I'd use that information in your discussion.

And I would try to hold off on having this discussion until delivery is actually being planned and you're talking with someone more enabled than Mike/Alane. For now hold off the cold feet anxiety until you have that conversation.
I was just talking to my wife about my reservations and told her I posted this question on the Forum. I kid you not she asked “what did Polerad have to say?“ Thanks for the advice. Have an appointment for test drive this weekend. I agree that it’s prudent to wait to bring this up at the time of delivery planning. Good to hear that their is the possibility some Volvo dealerships may be able to service the Polestar 2.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Agreed, good advice. My feet are somewhat colder than they were a week or two ago, that's for sure!

You mentioned "12V battery" but I've not heard of any issues there - could you point me in the direction of what you mean please? Thanks.

·
Registered
515 Posts
You mentioned "12V battery" but I've not heard of any issues there - could you point me in the direction of what you mean please? Thanks.
There were a person on facebook and a few Germans on a German forums that had the 12V being drained. This is now fixed and not heard anyone have a problem with new car in the past week.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am not sure if it is the same in the US as it is in the UK, but i am in the understanding that Polestars will all be serviced by Volvo at Volvo service centres. Not sure if this will be a long term thing or whether we will eventually get Polestar specific service centres but as far as i am aware if you are close to Volvo you are good in the short at the very least.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Great. There's a well-known problem with the Hyundai Kona and Ioniq and Kia e-Niro and Soul (and probably others) whereby tolerances in the boot catch means the software never shuts down properly and flattens your 12V battery. I've had it happen 5 times now and carry a jump starter with me. I really don't want to have to do the same with the Polestar!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I need the Polestar 2 community’s help. I am starting to get cold feet as the time to pull the trigger on purchasing gets near. I absolutely love the car. Was able to inspect it thoroughly, though without a test drive, in Manhattan. The build quality is impeccable. I’ve seen every video review and followed this forum closely. My hesitancy has always been living in North Carolina 400 miles from the nearest service center. Now with the relatively minor hiccups with the roll out ie 12v battery, Headlight alignment, lack of OTA updates I’m getting nervous. Still due for a September delivery. Help me with my reluctance. Thanks in advance.
I am from NC as well (Charlotte) and have similar concerns. Polestar customer support mentioned that they are planning for more service locations, probably closer to Charlotte in 2021. However, they didn't comment on what to do about service until then.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have discussed the service with Mike a few times . . . was told they will pick up your car within 150 miles of a space for free. Above that you will be charged an unknown amount per mile. Basically the same as the delivery plan. When I asked about warranty service and whether there would be a charge, he was unsure. If there was not an announced Boston location, I highly doubt I would buy this car. As I mentioned in a different thread, I had a ton of issues with a first Model year T8. Required a tow 4 different times. Given how frustrated I was with complementary tows back to the dealer, I can only imagine my feelings if I had to pay for those tows. Of course who knows when the Boston space will open. . . I too am getting nervous.

·
Registered
25 Posts
@boradmc1 I'm only 35 miles from the Manhattan 'Space' so I am not getting cold feet yet but if I was in your position I'd definitely think twice about buying now. I agree with @polerad that the key is OTA updates. At least based on information currently out there.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I am not sure if it is the same in the US as it is in the UK, but i am in the understanding that Polestars will all be serviced by Volvo at Volvo service centres. Not sure if this will be a long term thing or whether we will eventually get Polestar specific service centres but as far as i am aware if you are close to Volvo you are good in the short at the very least.
This is not the case in the US where the dealer franchise system has put some hurdles in place.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I found it ...

"It seems the 12V battery charges only when the main battery is charging. If you charge infrequently on fast chargers only, like once a week, then the 12V can deplete. If you plug every night on a slow charger you should be fine."

·
Registered
530 Posts
I found it ...

"It seems the 12V battery charges only when the main battery is charging. If you charge infrequently on fast chargers only, like once a week, then the 12V can deplete. If you plug every night on a slow charger you should be fine."
Most EVs like to be kept plugged into a charger. It keeps the batteries warm and cool as necessary. This is better news unless you need to travel somewhere and have to park your car at the airport. The problem with a lot of cars these days is that there are all kinds of sensors and such that are constantly energized. I wonder if some of the fancy features of the P2 -- like not having a start button -- might be related to this.

·
Registered
424 Posts
TBH
If I wasn’t close to a planned Space (ie outside the SF LA or NYC metros) I would have pause on getting a first batch P*2. Even waiting 3-4 months for initial teething to subside would help.

@boradmc1 and others, unless Polestar gives you strong written guarantees that they will help you through the teething, I would be wary of jumping in just now. Or know that there’s a decent probability you’ll be shelling out time/$ for an early adopter ‘bonus’

That said, aside from the 12V issue which seems solved by regularly plugging in, none of the issues are truly fatal or unsafe. You can operate the car as a car fine ( please someone actually with one correct me if needed!). Yes you won’t have your Spotify playlist synced or you need to carry around the fugly key fob thing for a while. This sounds pretty much like every early tech adoption experience I’ve done - which is quite a bit as I’m thoroughly a tech geek.

Basically up to you on how frustrated you’re going to be about working through early adopter teething issues. For me the alternative is not having a car that looks like will be amazing to drive in the hills I have nearby and down PCH. I’m OK doing that without Spotify.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I wonder if some of the fancy features of the P2 -- like not having a start button -- might be related to this.
Makes zero difference. A start button in an EV is just a signal. When you press the stick towards D the car get's that signal the same as if you pressed a button. It then checks if the breaks are pressed ... if so it starts.

No the problem seems to be that the 12V doesn't charge while you drive or get any Charge from the battery unless plugged in.

But does seem odd that they died so fast. No many people have had their car for 2 Weeks, and even just sitting on the road it should last a month min. So unless you literally fast charge for 30min's a week and that's all you need for your 100 miles of driving .... I can't see how it would fail so quickly.
The other option is phantom drain ... could be anything.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Makes zero difference. A start button in an EV is just a signal. When you press the stick towards D the car get's that signal the same as if you pressed a button. It then checks if the breaks are pressed ... if so it starts.

No the problem seems to be that the 12V doesn't charge while you drive or get any Charge from the battery unless plugged in.

But does seem odd that they died so fast. No many people have had their car for 2 Weeks, and even just sitting on the road it should last a month min. So unless you literally fast charge for 30min's a week and that's all you need for your 100 miles of driving .... I can't see how it would fail so quickly.
The other option is phantom drain ... could be anything.
I'm not sure I completely agree with this. The shifter puts the car in drive and engages the traction battery, but energizing the car -- with all the sensors, radio, etc. -- normally takes place with a start button. In the P2 it supposedly take place when your butt hits the seat. But that supposedly only works if your phone key is with you -- which is not available yet. What you said about the battery lasting a fairly long time should be true if the draws are small (like alarm sensors). But if the rest of the car is remaining energized (maybe because of the phone key not working?) when it shouldn't, that would drain the battery in a matter of days. I would not be surprised if some item which is not yet available in production is causing other systems to not operate as designed and lab tested.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts