Polestar Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Does this not also mean that the car would unlock and therefore someone could get in to it? On my Golf I can only use the 'keyless' entry if I'm standing directly at the door/boot.
No, you need to be right next to it to open the doors. Most remotes these days are bi-modal, i.e. they use one RF system for longer distances (e.g. pressing the "plipper" thing to unlock) and another for very close to (e.g. disabling the immobiliser). The first one works over 10-20m or more (in free air), and it's this one that fires up the 12V system in anticipation of something happening. That's the one that is solved by keeping the key in a Faraday pouch.

On the cancellation note, I can't even begin to imagine what it's like to be 1200 miles away from a dealer! There aren't 1200 miles in the entire length of the UK :) We're lucky in that we're never more than about 30 miles from a Volvo dealer, no matter where we are, and even then we moan about driving 45 minutes to a dealership. If I were you US guys, I'd be giving it a year to get the wrinkles sorted and OTA updates through, as gut feeling says there will be a number more "return-to-base" fixes required yet, based on my experience with other new brands or first-time EVs for brands.

Reactions: toscal353

·
Registered
519 Posts
They pay for the first 150 miles of towing. But it's an interesting thought how lemon laws might play into that if you are farther away.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
So how does it work in the US? If a week (or month) after taking delivery your car breaks down for whatever reason, is the supplier responsible for getting it fixed or is it your responsibility to get a dead car back to them to sort out?
Worst case, do you have right under law to say to them 'it's crap, come and get it and give me my money back if you won't fix it'?
Polestar is responsible for picking up your car up to a 150 mile radius. Any distance beyond that is your responsibility

·
Registered
277 Posts
Polestar is responsible for picking up your car up to a 150 mile radius. Any distance beyond that is your responsibility
Yes i know that, but in the event of a breakdown of a brand new car it is unreasonable for Polestar to expect you to return it at your expense. The goods are new and defective.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Yes i know that, but in the event of a breakdown of a brand new car it is unreasonable for Polestar to expect you to return it at your expense. The goods are new and defective.
I'm guessing you could make an issue of it... maybe even get lawyers involved... and I'm guessing you'd win the day. But I'm not sure it would be worth the fight. They would be able to say that you knew what the deal was before you committed your cash. I think it would get ugly.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I'm guessing you could make an issue of it... maybe even get lawyers involved... and I'm guessing you'd win the day. But I'm not sure it would be worth the fight. They would be able to say that you knew what the deal was before you committed your cash. I think it would get ugly.
There are a lot of vagaries around this, and I think more discussion with Polestar is in order. They talk about trip continuation support, coming to your location to fix what they can, and providing a charge if you run out. What are the rules if you're traveling through in Iowa? Heck, what are the rules if you're traveling in your brand new ICE car and it breaks down 150 miles from the nearest dealer? Do you have to pay for the tow?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Seems pretty clear from previous communications from Polestar that an owner more than 150 miles away would be responsible for getting the car back for service (or at least getting it within 150 miles). The US does have some consumer-protection laws (so-called Lemon Laws) that might come into play for your worst-case scenario, but I do not know the details. Hope I don't end up needing to. I really starting to hope that Polestar just delays a bit on their US/NA deliveries to get things sorted out (both on the teething issues and on the Spaces).

·
Registered
36 Posts
On the cancellation note, I can't even begin to imagine what it's like to be 1200 miles away from a dealer! There aren't 1200 miles in the entire length of the UK :)
I'm roughly 1200 miles away from LA and SF. But, there is supposed to be a new Space in Denver opening in "early 2021" that would be only 30-50 miles away. So that's the calculation.

·
Registered
519 Posts
As an example, today there are not that many Land Rover dealers in the US. And yet people in the middle of nowhere own Land Rovers under warranty. What do they do for service/support?

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
I'm roughly 1200 miles away from LA and SF. But, there is supposed to be a new Space in Denver opening in "early 2021" that would be only 30-50 miles away. So that's the calculation.
I'm counting on a Boston location opening up in the next year.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I'm getting a site near me next year too. But what to do in the meantime if something goes wrong.

·
Registered
418 Posts
There must be someone on the forum who's a lawyer in this space who knows what the usual standard is in the US for what happens if a car completely breaks down due to a manufacturing defect in the first couple months on the road. I imagine the warranty clause, lemon laws, or something must mean Polestar would be on the hook for returning the car to normal operating condition without any $$ from the customer. But I'd want a consumer protections or even auto industry lawyer to weight in..... Anyone? Bueller?

mrs. polerad's a lawyer but not in this field. she just kind of glared at me when I asked her about it just now. to be fair, the glaring could be due to any of a variety of factors, not just this.

·
Registered
36 Posts
There must be someone on the forum who's a lawyer...
I think the issue here would be that Polestar would not be unwilling to fix the problem, they would just be unwilling to pay the expense of bringing car to them. My suspicion (I'm a scientist, not a lawyer) is that this would fall well outside any consumer protection laws, especially this arrangement would be made clear to the buyer at purchase time.

FWIW, there are both federal and state consumer protection laws, so there's also that wrinkle.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It may also come down to the specific terms of the Polestar 2 warranty (which nobody in the US has seen this yet, right?). Towing a bricked car probably wouldn't be covered under the basic "bumper-to-bumper" coverage, nor would it be likely to be covered under the drivetrain coverage; any towing costs would likely be under the "Roadside Assistance" portion of the warranty. And, my suspicion is that Polestar will have clear language about a 150-mile limitation. I'm wondering if any folks who have already taken delivery in Europe can point to language in the warranty there. Of course, it may be different in the (much larger) US.

I feel like I'm arguing against getting the car. But I really want the car.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I feel like I'm arguing against getting the car. But I really want the car.
I think you're going through the same pre-purchase jitters we all are. With the added complication of the whole distance from Space thing.

In your shoes, if Polestar doesn't accept the costs of all services for bricking and to eventually enable OTA, I'd strongly consider holding off on taking delivery until December or whenever that all is meant to resolve. While 2 months longer is painful it seems worth not dealing with the headache. And, I'm guessing some of the delays in current Space-d markets are Polestar slow-walking things until some of this is figured out. My order is apparently in the first batch of deliveries in the US and I'm honestly guessing mine will come in (early?) October, not September, as Polestar figures out the 12V/bricking issue.

[BTW - couldn't OTA be enabled with a tech and a USB key at the site? ultimately OTA is just a firmware patch right? wouldn't it be cheaper to fly out a tech than tow the P*2?]

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I think you're going through the same pre-purchase jitters we all are. With the added complication of the whole distance from Space thing.

In your shoes, if Polestar doesn't accept the costs of all services for bricking and to eventually enable OTA, I'd strongly consider holding off on taking delivery until December or whenever that all is meant to resolve. While 2 months longer is painful it seems worth not dealing with the headache. And, I'm guessing some of the delays in current Space-d markets are Polestar slow-walking things until some of this is figured out. My order is apparently in the first batch of deliveries in the US and I'm honestly guessing mine will come in (early?) October, not September, as Polestar figures out the 12V/bricking issue.

[BTW - couldn't OTA be enabled with a tech and a USB key at the site? ultimately OTA is just a firmware patch right? wouldn't it be cheaper to fly out a tech than tow the P*2?]
That gave me a great idea. Today I enrolled in the Polestar 2 technician training program. I should have my degree by December. Winning!

·
Registered
36 Posts
In your shoes, if Polestar doesn't accept the costs of all services for bricking and to eventually enable OTA, I'd strongly consider holding off on taking delivery until December or whenever that all is meant to resolve.
Just to keep the problem interesting, I have the added complication that $2000 of Colorado State Tax incentive evaporates on on December 31st. So, if I take delivery after January 1st, the car costs $2000 more. Under my current plan, I'm spending a little more than $1000 (?) in shipping expenses to get the car to me from the west coast in time to get the $2000 incentive. Once January rolls around, it would be cheaper for me to wait for the Denver space to open, which would save the delivery fee. But I'm likely too impatient to wait that long.

See, you can make a full-time job over obsessing about this stuff if you want.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts