Polestar Forum banner

Coldgating on AC charger?!

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  nbvolks 
#1 ·
This is a new one for me. Got up to our place in the mountains after driving up in the snow, plugged in with 15% SoC and got a brief pop-up message about decreased charging speed because of the temperature. Sure enough, it's only charging at 3.6kW, and has been for the past 4 or so hours.

I've come up here in temps as cold or colder and it still charged at the full 9.6kW, or close to it. However there were two things different about today's drive up.

1. It was actively snowing and the roads and highways were coated in wet slushy snow. This had a substantial impact on the estimated SoC on arrival in Google Maps. What's usually accurate within a percent or two either direction, depending on traffic and headwinds, instead quickly went from 27% arrival estimate to 15%, on a ~2.5 hour drive.

2. About a quarter of the way into the drive I switched regenerative braking to 'off' because of the slush on the roads.

So, I'm thinking the fact that I turned off the regenerative braking, allowed the battery to get cold, since it's otherwise a pretty constant speed drive, where I'm not even touching the brake pedal to engage the regenerative braking that way.

Maybe I missed where some else has posted about this, but have you seen AC charging speeds cut by nearly a 3rd from a cold battery?

Vehicle Light Motor vehicle Mode of transport Steering wheel

Font Screenshot Rectangle Electric blue Circle

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi, when you switch of OPD you don’t switch of regenerative braking. Instead what happens is when you press the brake pedal regen is first used and the only time friction brakes will be applied is when the orange bar pops up in the regen / power slide.

I also used to think turning OPD off used to turn of regen but our friends on here corrected this for me. The only time regen is never used is in reverse but I wouldn’t want to drive 2.5hrs backwards lol.

Charging a cold battery always takes longer but even using an AC charger it should have warmed up in 4 hours after all it uses the same power to precondition on departure.

when you plugged in was the frost symbol on the battery? Or was it not there?

#3 ·
As @Icesingh says OPD mode makes only a difference to the peddle responce and not if the car regenerates or not.

As for the slow charge ... try unplugging and plugging back in again, assuming everything is the same as before, same cable, same charger, etc...

Reactions: Icesingh
#10 ·
As @Icesingh
As for the slow charge ... try unplugging and plugging back in again, assuming everything is the same as before, same cable, same charger, etc...
Yep, unplugged, reconnected several times now since yesterday, and driven the car around. Even on another Level 2 40amp charger. Same 16 amp, 3.6kWh draw, and same message that pops up for a split second about reduced charging because of the temperature. Which again, is no colder than it has been in the past when charging at full 39/40amps @ 9.6kWh.

Also rebooted the HomeFlex charger.

On software v1.8.

#4 ·
So, I'm thinking the fact that I turned off the regenerative braking,
As already mentioned, turning OPD off does not turn off regenerative braking.
Maybe I missed where some else has posted about this, but have you seen AC charging speeds cut by nearly a 3rd from a cold battery?
Never heard of cold-gating on AC. This sounds like the known charging bug discussed in other threads. Usually fixes itself after some time.

#5 ·
Does anyone ever actually read a post prior to commenting? You both said what I already said about OPD.

"So, I'm thinking the fact that I turned off the regenerative braking, allowed the battery to get cold, since it's otherwise a pretty constant speed drive, where I'm not even touching the brake pedal to engage the regenerative braking that way."

When I say turn it 'off' (I put it in quotes in the original post for a reason), it's to state which of the three available screen settings I put it to.

#7 ·
Does anyone ever actually read a post prior to commenting? You both said what I already said about OPD.

"So, I'm thinking the fact that I turned off the regenerative braking, allowed the battery to get cold, since it's otherwise a pretty constant speed drive, where I'm not even touching the brake pedal to engage the regenerative braking that way."

When I say turn it 'off' (I put it in quotes in the original post for a reason), it's to state which of the three available screen settings I put it to.
I did read but as you stated you turned regen off I assumed you thought you by turning OPD off it turned regen off. I just don’t refer to OPD as regen hence the confusion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.