Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
California
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like my Polestar 2 just tried to kill us.

At twilight earlier today I was driving south on CA-1 between Olema and Bolinas when the Polestar pulled me hard left into the oncoming traffic lane. There was another car headed straight at us a few car lengths ahead. I managed to fight the steering wheel back into our lane in time (obviously since I’m here to tell you about it). There was a message on the dash about “Collision Avoidance” being activated. There was no alert sound.

This was uphill and with a slight curve to the right. The oncoming vehicle had its headlights on so it was easy to see from a distance. I did not notice anything in particular in the lane I was supposed to be in.

Collision Avoidance was set to “Standard” (I have now set it to “Late” because sheesh, and I couldn’t find a way to turn off). I’ve reported this issue to my Space. Not sure if there’s another way I can help them diagnose.

·
Registered
California
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Both my Giulia and my Model 3 have performed some unexpected hard stops. But this is the first time I’ve been flung into oncoming traffic by a computer.

·
Registered
762 Posts
You are not the first to report the "hard pull into traffic" issue here. I think it was @stevelup ? It is very concerning that this is sometimes happening. You should report it to Polestar.

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
1,852 Posts

At the brow of this hill the road turns sharply to the left. 4 times the collision avoidance has kicked in. I always grip the steering wheel very tightly approaching any such road now. I'd advise others to do the same.(of course I could slow down a little too).
I set avoidance to Late on day 1. I'd switch it off if I could.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Do you guys have LKA enabled and set to steering?

I'm wondering if this is more LKA (not PA) and not Collision Avoidance.

Under the drivers menu and assistance, hit the "..." near LKA. From memory there was:-

Steering (Noise + Vibration too)
Noise (Vibration too)
Vibration Only

I set mine to Vibration Only and I've never had the car do something odd like you describe.

The only time Collision Avoidance kicked in, is when someone in front of me (by 3-4 car lengths) slammed their brakes on doing 50mph to turn into a garage. I got the beeping and warning on screen, and it just started to brake ... but no steering.

I will say it was a bit early as I was already on my way to hit the brakes ... felt it was a little sensitive (and yes set to late).

Reactions: ProfessorCook

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I'd advise others to do the same.(of course I could slow down a little too).
I set avoidance to Late on day 1. I'd switch it off if I could.
Who knew doing 71mph in a 60mph zone, over the crest of a hill with a sharp left turn afterward would cause the car react that way! Very Strange! :p

·
Registered
263 Posts
This is definitely collision avoidance kicking in. I have a particular spot where it has applied brakes and steered me out of the way of an invisible object. Similar to dave it is when going over the crest of a hill and the road in my case then carries on going up and with a turn. It doesn't do it long enough to be an issue and doesn't happen if I don't go flying over the hill (at about 50mph). I have lane assist turned off as it gets funny through country roads a bit like the one where the hill is.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I have lane assist turned off as it gets funny through country roads a bit like the one where the hill is.
Was just a thought ...

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
1,852 Posts
I've had Lane Keeping Aid switched off since day 1.
Straddling lanes is advised on advanced driving courses.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
I hate to mention this, but whenever something like this happens , I urge you to write it up as factually and unemotionally as possible and to create this recap as soon as possible after the incident. Include as much detail as possible including car settings, time of day, weather conditions, your speed, posted speed, traffic... Anything you can think of. Be absolutely honest, even if it means you are admitting to driving above the speed limit. If you have a car cam video, attach it.

Then read it over. Remove anything that's subjective. Don't say "I felt like the car tried to kill me.". Do say "the car took control of the steering and directed the car sharply into the oncoming lane."

Once the document looks accurate and has all the information, send it formally to at least two separate Polestar recipients.

This is important: Polestar engineers need good information to work with and, God forbid, if you ever need to take legal action, you need to show you did all you could, right from the start.

·
Super Moderator
1,353 Posts
I feel like my Polestar 2 just tried to kill us.

At twilight earlier today I was driving south on CA-1 between Olema and Bolinas when the Polestar pulled me hard left into the oncoming traffic lane. There was another car headed straight at us a few car lengths ahead. I managed to fight the steering wheel back into our lane in time (obviously since I’m here to tell you about it). There was a message on the dash about “Collision Avoidance” being activated. There was no alert sound.
I took mine in for service last week for this issue - sounds identical to yours. All of a sudden and for no reason my car suddenly and violently pulled me towards oncoming traffic. Another time it pulled me the other way onto a grass verge.

They have downloaded some data and sent it to Sweden. There was one module apparently that needed an update but it's not clear if it was relevant to this incident. They don't tell you anything when you get the car back...

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,863 Posts
I've had it happen too; one time on a dark and wet night, it pulled quickly onto the other side of the road, as though a deer had run out and it was swerving to avoid it (a common thing round here!). I've set it to "late" and not had it happen since, but then I've hardly driven it for the past two weeks :(.

Definitely worth documenting and reporting as you say. I wouldn't add an extra person in by going via the Space, I'd report it directly to Customer Services.

·
Registered
California
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Then read it over. Remove anything that's subjective. Don't say "I felt like the car tried to kill me.". Do say "the car took control of the steering and directed the car sharply into the oncoming lane."
I did not include that line in my report to Polestar. I wrote that for my people here in the forums. 😂

But yes thank you for the tips.

·
Registered
California
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Definitely worth documenting and reporting as you say. I wouldn't add an extra person in by going via the Space, I'd report it directly to Customer Services.
Considering CS in the US is basically just one person (maybe two?) I’ve asked several times which kinds of issues should go to my Space vs CS. No one will say. I’ve been prioritizing Space involvement because they’re the ones who will be seeing my vehicle and they might as well have the history. But maybe I’m doing it wrong.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts