Polestar Forum banner

81 - 100 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
343 Posts
Collision avoidance kicked in as I backed into the garage tonight. I wasn’t going to hit anything, and only traveling 1 mph, but DAYUM if that sucker didn’t slam on the brakes so hard I was sure I had hit something. I think a few other on this forum have reported this, but it was striking how forcefully it stopped me. It’s not something I want to experience again. 😬
Had that a couple of times while slowly reversing too, it does feel like you backed into a brick wall.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Collision avoidance kicked in as I backed into the garage tonight. I wasn’t going to hit anything, and only traveling 1 mph, but DAYUM if that sucker didn’t slam on the brakes so hard I was sure I had hit something. I think a few other on this forum have reported this, but it was striking how forcefully it stopped me. It’s not something I want to experience again. 😬
Yup first time it happened to me was reversing out of a parking pay into a main road backwards ... I too thought I'd hit something and got out to check.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As a potential P2 owner in the near future, this thread terrifies me and is making me seriously doubt my decision to go ahead 😥 I know this type of technology is commonplace on many vehicles now. Indeed my current car has it but the worst I've experienced is some abrupt breaking and a moderate tug on the wheel when I deliberately changed lanes on an empty road without indicating.

Has anyone had any useful responses from Polestar about it?

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
C&D also reported this issue once when they evaluated the car. The system appears to pick up objects other than other cars depending on lighting and road elevation.

Assuming there are no accidents associated with it, I would expect a TSB at some point.

·
Registered
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,010 Posts
Technical Service Bulletin, i.e. something issued to dealers informing them of the problem.

·
Registered
California
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Technical Service Bulletin. Car-speak for service centers will know about it and have a specific fix to apply.

My take, from earlier in the thread, is that this specific implementation is new to Polestar 2 and XC40 Recharge. If Volvo sells a lot of the XC40 Recharge we’re likely to see this implementation get fixed more. If neither vehicle sells a ton, there’s a risk that we won’t really see this collision avoidance system get well-fixed before Volvo and Polestar move on to the next car architecture, which doesn’t use this system either.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Had that a couple of times while slowly reversing too, it does feel like you backed into a brick wall.
My wife set mine off while running out to give one of our daughter's her blanket. She's used to running toward my old car that didn't have any safety measures like that.

·
Registered
California
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Was just updated that Sweden still hasn’t replied to the form I submitted. I’ve now been without the car for exactly as long as I had it. 😂

·
Registered
California
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Oh wow it would’ve been nice if Collision Avoidance false positives were part of this:

Predictive maintenance allows Polestar to anticipate potential problems and fix them before they happen. If you choose to enable it, your car can send information about its status and performance to us. We’ll use the data to remotely diagnose any potential issues, and notify you if service or maintenance is necessary. If you prefer not to share your information in this way, we’ll simply check your car at its regular services as usual.
I’m guessing this is another thing that doesn’t exist yet, right?

·
Registered
Snow, slate, ordered Nov 2020, VIN 10xxx
38 Posts
I am all for tech enabled features that consistently work but hate when tech issues depreciate the value of an otherwise outstanding product. Polestar is a great car without all the driver high tech aids. I have enjoyed many great cars over the years none of which collision avoidance (collision avoidance was my job as the driver). I wish there was a way to turn off all the necessary tech and simply enjoy the car as a car.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I am all for tech enabled features that consistently work but hate when tech issues depreciate the value of an otherwise outstanding product. Polestar is a great car without all the driver high tech aids. I have enjoyed many great cars over the years none of which collision avoidance (collision avoidance was my job as the driver). I wish there was a way to turn off all the necessary tech and simply enjoy the car as a car.
I don't think any of this affects depreciation in any way, although with very high tech cars is makes even more sense to lease. As for the value, if they car didn't have all that stuff I wouldn't even have considered it. And it you can turn it all off then your insurance rates would skyrocket.

·
Registered
2021 2
1,742 Posts
And it you can turn it all off then your insurance rates would skyrocket.
Given that I had to educate my insurance provider on the existence of the car in the first place, and that they based their quote on "how much are you paying for it? You have ABS? GPS tracking?", I can guarantee they have no idea about the quality or presence of what degree of ADAS the car has or doesn't.

81 - 100 of 126 Posts