Polestar Forum banner

101 - 120 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Given that I had to educate my insurance provider on the existence of the car in the first place, and that they based their quote on "how much are you paying for it? You have ABS? GPS tracking?", I can guarantee they have no idea about the quality or presence of what degree of ADAS the car has or doesn't.
They may have asked you that, particularly if it's not in their database yet. But each car is rated via it's VIN. Your VIN establishes all the safety features in the car. My company gave me a rate based on what I told them as well. But they were clear it's subject to change once they officially rate the car with it's VIN.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Update on my false positive experience. My car has spent a day at my local Polestar service centre. Data has been analysed by Polestar technical and no fault found - “the car appears to have reacted to a potential collision situation correctly”. Make of that what you will. No software update, despite me asking for the latest to be applied they say Nov is the latest version available. Has anyone in the UK had the January update done by a service centre?

·
Registered
2 Posts
.. potential collision situation ...
What was your interpretation of the situation? Do you have a gut feel for what the car might have been reacting to?

As I think was mentioned earlier in this thread, dash cam footage to accompany the data they're pulling from the car would be invaluable. (Unless of course the car is already storing a video buffer when these events happen?)

·
Registered
253 Posts
What was your interpretation of the situation? Do you have a gut feel for what the car might have been reacting to?

As I think was mentioned earlier in this thread, dash cam footage to accompany the data they're pulling from the car would be invaluable. (Unless of course the car is already storing a video buffer when these events happen?)
There was nothing at all I was aware of that should have triggered collision avoidanc. I think they are suggesting, though not saying directly, that there was a valid reason for the actuation. I don’t have a dashcam, now thinking I should have one fitted.

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
333 Posts
Update on my false positive experience. My car has spent a day at my local Polestar service centre. Data has been analysed by Polestar technical and no fault found - “the car appears to have reacted to a potential collision situation correctly”. Make of that what you will. No software update, despite me asking for the latest to be applied they say Nov is the latest version available. Has anyone in the UK had the January update done by a service centre?
Mine was delivered with that software on 10th Dec, and was updated to the next and latest version at Volvo Watford on Monday.

That's the version that includes the Android 10 on the infotainment and is meant to be distributed OTA later this month.

I'm surprised yours was at a workshop and didn't have that applied, mine was booked to reset WiFi and had that applied.

·
Registered
253 Posts
@kkonstan Have now spoken with the service centre technician. They downloaded data retrieval software to the car for diagnosis of the collision avoidance event. That data has now been sent to PS HQ for further analysis which could take a few weeks. During this period they won’t update my software as they would lose data they might want to access. All makes sense, I will probably have to wait for the OTA update to be pushed out.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I was told there is a new one on Monday and that's after having the Dec update a couple of weeks ago.

Sorry just read your response so ignore this

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if the data stored is more rudimentary than we realize. And thus without and cam footage they may not figure this out. The data may indicate that there was some target identified at x range and y angle approaching at closing speed z. And then the car made (or attempted to make) maneuver such and such at time a and offset b.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if the data stored is more rudimentary than we realize. And thus without and cam footage they may not figure this out. The data may indicate that there was some target identified at x range and y angle approaching at closing speed z. And then the car made (or attempted to make) maneuver such and such at time a and offset b.
Yeah, it' likely not like a flight data recorder (FDR) in all commercial (and some private) aircraft. But, as I have said elsewhere, I imagine cars will go this way at some point in the future, if they haven't already. FDRs store the last N minutes of data, just continuously writing over the old data. In the event of an emergency or accident, the recent data can be recovered.

Of course, aircraft also have cockpit voice recorders (CVR), which most people probably don't want. Looking at you @dave

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Of course, aircraft also have cockpit voice recorders (CVR), which most people probably don't want.
Yeah. No thanks. It's already bad enough that Alexa and Google are listening to everything we say. For that matter Google in the car is already doing that unless you turn off "ok google" and just use the button. Otherwise it's always listening and waiting for it's queue. Scary.

·
Registered
California
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
If they’re going to make a vehicle that will steer itself based on its understanding of the world, and you cannot turn that off, then they better have some good way to record false positives and correct problems.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
If they’re going to make a vehicle that will steer itself based on its understanding of the world, and you cannot turn that off, then they better have some good way to record false positives and correct problems.
Sure, auto-pilot, bring it on 🙄

·
Registered
California
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #113 (Edited)
I’m talking about this collision avoidance. The one that steered me into oncoming traffic. That cannot be turned off and is activated based on some set of sensors’ understanding of the world. I hope they have or are developing a good way to record false positives and improve this system.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I w
I’m talking about this collision avoidance. The one that steered me into oncoming traffic. That cannot be turned off and is activated based on some set of sensors’ understanding of the world. I hope they have or are developing a good way to record false positives and improve this system.
I was suggesting that this is really just a small part of any auto-pilot system, and even it's not ready for prime time.

·
Registered
California
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
They tell me my vehicle is “operating as intended”. But there will be a software update in 3-4 weeks that will improve the collision avoidance system that they would like to perform at the service center.

Also, they wiped all our existing profiles and settings. And I still have Android 9.

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
333 Posts
They tell me my vehicle is “operating as intended”. But there will be a software update in 3-4 weeks that will improve the collision avoidance system that they would like to perform at the service center.

Also, they wiped all our existing profiles and settings. And I still have Android 9.
Interesting.

Well I hope it’s true and the next version has improvements.

FWIW mine got upgraded to Android 10 but no profiles were harmed in the process, I only lost my radio favourites, but that was worth it as it now finally links FM/DAB and automatically switches between them.

·
Registered
California
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Yes it was pretty frustrating to have to log in to my accounts again — even within the (very few) specific apps I had, Google didn’t remember that I had those apps or was logged into them. The service manager didn’t seem to grasp that setting up the software in this car is a bunch of work.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Yup first time it happened to me was reversing out of a parking pay into a main road backwards ... I too thought I'd hit something and got out to check.
Happened when I reversed and the wife didn't get out of the way from behind me! The other day it slammed on the brakes when reversing. Thank goodness, otherwise, I would have hit that car park sign. The rear camera was not showing much, covered in dirt.

·
Registered
39 Posts
What a fright I got!
Reversing into a space in an underground car park. All looked clear but on the turn in sudden jolt and stop! Thought I’d hit an invisible barrier but got out and...nothing.
my only deduction was maybe I was going to fast and the car reacted to the nearby adjacent car. Anyway definitely scared the hell out of me as I thought of the insurance claim🤨.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is definitely collision avoidance kicking in. I have a particular spot where it has applied brakes and steered me out of the way of an invisible object. Similar to dave it is when going over the crest of a hill and the road in my case then carries on going up and with a turn. It doesn't do it long enough to be an issue and doesn't happen if I don't go flying over the hill (at about 50mph). I have lane assist turned off as it gets funny through country roads a bit like the one where the hill is.
I Have had the same thing on country lanes, mainly in a straight line with no other traffic. have notified polestar with accompanying video.

101 - 120 of 126 Posts