Polestar Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ahead of delivery Polestar UK customer service was terrible and it took them nearly an month delay and calls every day to finally deliver my car. I have had various probs since getting the car such as driver mirror not going back, boot not opening, google assist not working, iPhone 12 not charging, rear doors locking and not opening so passengers couldn’t get out, etc etc etc.

Then my P2 failed catastrophically after just 2 weeks with the usual power and battery problems. It took the Volvo recovery team nearly 5 hours to come in a truly shocking experience. I have had to call them every day for updates but they never call me back (Volvo West London) and after 1.5 weeks I still have no idea what went wrong or when do will get my car back. The excuses from Poleatar UK is that they are a small company and don’t have enough people to deal with the volume of work.

I love the idea of the car and it’s great when it works but if you are thinking of getting one I would wait 6-12 months to see if they are able to sort themselves out.

My first venture into electric has not gone well so far and can only get better ... hopefully.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,877 Posts
That does sound like a very unfortunate experience all round - you have my sympathies! I'm assuming you got your car a little while back now and it was one of the early ones that suffered from the failed inverters and perhaps also the duff battery temperature sensors, and therefore will be subject to the two recalls to fix these. No excuses, this has been a tough time for early owners and also for Polestar who couldn't have anticipated being provided duff parts by a trusted supplier. Bad news all round :(. It's also a very unfortunate welcome to the world of EVs!

Volvo dealers have had a baptism of fire with this one; they weren't expecting to suddenly have to handle recalls and were probably told that the first they'd hear of the cars would be at the first service in 18 months' time, so it's been a race to get their engineers trained up to do the investigations on the early failing cars, and now the recall work too. I bet Volvo owners are up in arms too as all of the courtesy cars have been allocated to Polestar customers, I suspect!

Given that the early problems with the faulty parts have long since been sorted on new cars, i.e. those delivered since (I would say) late October, I think it's fair to say that the cars being delivered now are more "ready", though I would argue that delivering any car without half of the promised and advertised functionality is pushing their luck a bit. I've seen a dramatic drop-off of failures over the last few weeks and all of them have been from early cars (VIN less than about 6000). I do think that things will rapidly settle once all of the early cars with recalls have been fixed, and as I say, all recently-delivered cars do seem to be fine... so far. That's not to say there aren't niggles and won't be further niggles, but hopefully the major things are now behaving correctly. Support for OTA updates being rolled out now should be a big help.

Our car is arriving in 3-4 weeks' time so of course I might be shooting myself in the foot here and have a bunch of problems. Let's hope not though! I do feel for the early owners of the Polestar 2 as it's been a perfect storm of delivery network not ready, dealership/Polestar support team not ready, software not ready, and failed components from suppliers. With a few exceptions of definite lemons, I do think the cars will be sorted and things will settle.

·
Registered
534 Posts
It does suck, and sorry to hear about the problems you've had. Hopefully things settle down after the latest round of recalls. Just on the issues you mentioned. I've had the driver's side mirror issue, which happens when using the gear shifter before it's had a chance to finish it's cycle. Not quickly switching from reverse to drive can keep this from happening, or disabling mirror dipping on reverse until they fix this with a software update.

Other observations that may or may not be relevant to your experiences. The boot won't open with the kick motion if you don't have the key on you, or if you're stood too close to the back bumper. A single kick in and out works 99% of the time for me.

You can uninstall the Google Assistant app and then power off and on the car (Drive > More > Power off, or hold play/pause button down) and it will reinstall.

There are other reports on the forum of the iPhone 12 not wirelessly charging and it sounds like this is an Apple issue with a number of chargers, not just Polestar.

Rear doors, make sure child locks are off.

·
Registered
864 Posts
The excuses from Poleatar UK is that they are a small company and don’t have enough people to deal with the volume of work.
That's not an excuse its an admission of a failure of management and planning.
I share your pain, having suffered from the same short comings

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
It is a shame that not everyone has gotten the same level Customer Services.

Apart from two emails that took over 7 days for a response, I've found the instant chat and phone call service to be excellent, and 2-3 day response on emails to be the new world standard unfortunately - except Virgin Flights who took 6 months to refund my money and never replied to my weekly email once.

These stories are rare but unfortunately even one creates a chain of negative discussion and puts a dent in the confidence of the brand name.

Let's all hope they learn fast and act faster to make these type of stories obsolete.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I don't think anyone who has had problems with the P2, or indeed most people who have problems with other makes, set out to discredit the name per se. I my case it was to point out potential problems to others, always with a rider that for every complaint there are many happy customers. Polestar have however brought themselves bad press by the variety and number of issues, some of which could/should have been avoided. Add to that the pre-sales shambles and the lack of preparedness of the post-sales support and customer service and doubts will naturally arise. It's how they react now and improve both the product and their customer relations which will restore customer confidence. (or not).
My personal view of the offer of a year four extension to warranty seems to me to be a fairly empty gesture - how many of the early adopters who have that promise will still have their car in four years time?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I completely agree with the title of this post. The company is simply not ready in any way to be either selling or delivering cars
The order process is shambolic. You would have thought that a company who's only sales mechanism is digital sales would have thought about user experience, even just a little bit
The delivery process was also a mess; totally unfathomable what was happening when and what needed to be done at which points in the journey
Then the car is just not ready to be used by paying customers. It's like we are being treated as beta testers. 2 recalls so far in the first 2 months. Plus a list of issues too long to even bother mentioning
My local Volvo garage openly admitted they were unsure about working on the vehicle because they have not been trained properly too

Oh and don't get me started on the fact that it does less than 200 miles when driving carefully on a full charge. Not even close to the stated 290 miles. I expected the mileage to be a bit lower because it always is but I simply would not have bought the vehicle if I realised it was so low. That is an absolute deal breaker for me

I really like the car. However as the post says the company is just not ready for market. They are 6 months to a year away minimum. I have already discouraged two people who were about to order one and I will continue to do so; people should not have to put up with this sort of service under any circumstances. Never mind when paying a premium price

·
Registered
864 Posts
Reading the various threads about deliveries in North America, the lack of clarity and delayed deliveries etc, Polestar are in real danger of killing that market before they even get a toe in the door. History is repeating itself. Very sad.

·
Super Moderator
2,877 Posts
Just wait till deliveries really start in the US and they're faced with driving hundreds of miles to get things sorted. It'll be a bloodbath :(.

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
Just wait till deliveries really start in the US and they're faced with driving hundreds of miles to get things sorted. It'll be a bloodbath :(.
Always the optimist.

I'm one of those intrepid (foolish?) early adopters and I just bought the car (wired the money) without actually seeing a single Polestar 2 in real life. Not only would serious problems with the car be disappointing, but they would directly lead to serious problems with my wife. So please don't jinx this!

·
Super Moderator
2,877 Posts
It's not so much the nature of the problems as things are definitely getting significantly better, it's the penalty in cost and time due to the distances involved if something does go wrong. In the UK you're never more than about 20-30 miles from a Volvo dealer so it's a different matter...

But of course I'm hoping that it will be perfect for everyone particularly in North America where you've really been through the mill just waiting for your cars!

·
Registered
333 Posts
I will admit that I am eagerly awaiting the opening of the Polestar presence in Washington, DC. I'm about 200 miles from Manhattan... But so far, nothing is dead on arrival, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I'll be waiting a long time for a Polestar space in Memphis, TN (nearest city). I am hoping more that PS will partner with Volvo dealerships for PS servicing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ahead of delivery Polestar UK customer service was terrible and it took them nearly an month delay and calls every day to finally deliver my car. I have had various probs since getting the car such as driver mirror not going back, boot not opening, google assist not working, iPhone 12 not charging, rear doors locking and not opening so passengers couldn’t get out, etc etc etc.

Then my P2 failed catastrophically after just 2 weeks with the usual power and battery problems. It took the Volvo recovery team nearly 5 hours to come in a truly shocking experience. I have had to call them every day for updates but they never call me back (Volvo West London) and after 1.5 weeks I still have no idea what went wrong or when do will get my car back. The excuses from Poleatar UK is that they are a small company and don’t have enough people to deal with the volume of work.

I love the idea of the car and it’s great when it works but if you are thinking of getting one I would wait 6-12 months to see if they are able to sort themselves out.

My first venture into electric has not gone well so far and can only get better ... hopefully.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also have had 12 volt battery problems found the car stone dead after sitting 3 days. They were responsive (Polestar NY) towed the car and told me that it was 12 volt battery discharging while it sat at the port. when they returned the
car could not get it off the flat bed. car would not go into gear. its back in the shop and waiting for answers on Monday.
They could not get the car in gear when it arrived back at the shop had to put it in towing mode to get it of the truck.
SBJ NY

1 - 16 of 16 Posts