Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I could share my first few weeks economy figures so that we might all benefit.

I am in the UK, with average temperature of around 1 degree centigrade. Driving short journeys (due to Covid).

·
Registered
193 Posts
That’s about right, longer journeys will see it drop into high 30’s, and when temperatures pick up they should drop a bit more to low 30’s

Been there, feel your pain.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts

4 Miles on A & B roads, 90 Miles all Motorway - hence the high average Speed.

No Pre-Heating, car hadn't been driven for 4-5 hours, all HVAC on set to 19deg, Heated seats on at the start - rear seat on Level 1 the whole trip. Roads Damp in some parts.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts

-1 Deg C, no Pre-heating, all in heavy local traffic, HVAC set to 19degs, 2 Front Heated Seats and Wheel on the whole trip.

Reactions: ProfessorCook

·
Registered
66 Posts
My short trip this morning 1.8 miles and I got 98.4kWh/100mi !!

Temp was 3 C. Heated seat and wheel was on. Due to Covid, haven’t tried long trips.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
My short trip this morning 1.8 miles and I got 98.4kWh/100mi !!

Temp was 3 C. Heated seat and wheel was on. Due to Covid, haven’t tried long trips.
Yeah only long trip I do is to my mums for a shopping delivery for her. Hard finding reasons to go out for a drive these days :confused:

Reactions: ProfessorCook

·
Registered
55 Posts
I got 97.9KWh on a 1.7 mile round trip to the local ASDA (Walmart for the Colonials out there) - do I win!!!!
OK - A bit more seriously now - tried a bit of semi-synthetic testing today to see what the likely range would be on long trips just now (academic I know, no long trips in the immediate future 🦠).

Started preheating the car for 20mins then did a few loops on the local motorway (within the council region before anyone goes grassing me in) - total 'loop' distance was 21.6 miles (back and forward on the M8 between two junctions near me) - round trips so up and downs evened out

Temperature - 2 degrees C, no wind, no rain and dry roads
Radio on, heating on at 20C Auto and fan speed of 1, no heated seats or wheel
Car is on the Dec update - Non PP, 19" wheels - and OPD set to off

60mph was 33.5KWh per 100 miles (20.8 for the sensible metric people) - rough total range (72KW useable battery?) = 215miles (346KM)
65mph
was 36.3KWh per 100 miles (22.5 metric) - rough total range (72KW useable battery?) = 198miles (319KM)

I know the speeds are a bit slow for a lot of you but if I am travelling a long distance I don't mind the sedate pace to get the best out of the range (I did 'drive it like I stole it' on the way back and only got 42ish per 100 miles, I may have 'slightly' broken the law while overtaking a wee scrote in a Fiesta ST on the duel carriageway (I channeled my inner Dave)

Overall reasonably comfortable with the figures - if sticking to 60ish, 3 hours between charges suites my driving pace
For summer it could even be as high as 240miles (386KM) with 5% extra from the reduced air density, 5% extra from no heating and a couple more from the battery temps being closer to nominal from the air temp

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,867 Posts
Hence the name "duel carraigeway" ;)

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
I hadn't thought about temperature affecting air density and, therefore, wind resistance, but that makes perfect sense!

At around freezing, dry air density is 1.29 kg/m^3. At, say, 25 degrees C, it's 1.18. So that's about 8% lower!

Humid air is a bit lower, too. So on a hot humid day (30 C, 80% humidity), about 4% lower than that at 25 degrees, and more than 10% lower than what I'm dealing with now.

Drive around at higher elevations, say 1500 meters, and you've lost another 15% or so.

So if you want really great efficiency at high speeds, drive on a hot, humid day in the mountains... you could gain well over 20% over what you're used to.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I hadn't thought about temperature affecting air density and, therefore, wind resistance, but that makes perfect sense!

At around freezing, dry air density is 1.29 kg/m^3. At, say, 25 degrees C, it's 1.18. So that's about 8% lower!

Humid air is a bit lower, too. So on a hot humid day (30 C, 80% humidity), about 4% lower than that at 25 degrees, and more than 10% lower than what I'm dealing with now.

Drive around at higher elevations, say 1500 meters, and you've lost another 15% or so.

So if you want really great efficiency at high speeds, drive on a hot, humid day in the mountains... you could gain well over 20% over what you're used to.

View attachment 3519
Yeh - thought it would play a part - I only added 5% as the likelihood of it being at 25C for any length of time in the west coast of Scotland is pretty slim (I used 20C and even that is a bit of a stretch)
Although we do gain a wee bit, as we do not have to have the A/C on for a lot of the time :p

Its funny though, with ICE (or other types of combustion propulsion), the engine itself gets a boost ( in torque) from denser air (and even more from water logged air in the case of a Gas turbine)

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
Yeh - thought it would play a part - I only added 5% as the likelihood of it being at 25C for any length of time in the west coast of Scotland is pretty slim (I used 20C and even that is a bit of a stretch)
Although we do gain a wee bit, as we do not have to have the A/C on for a lot of the time :p

Its funny though, with ICE (or other types of combustion propulsion), the engine itself gets a boost ( in torque) from denser air (and even more from water logged air in the case of a Gas turbine)
Yeah... the differences are interesting. ICE vehicles can run into all sorts of problems in very cold weather and at very high altitudes. Other than cold-gating, heating, pre-heating, poor range, etc... BEVs seem more reliable in cold weather and definitely don't care about high altitudes.

Reactions: polerad

·
Registered
463 Posts
OK - A bit more seriously now - tried a bit of semi-synthetic testing today to see what the likely range would be on long trips just now (academic I know, no long trips in the immediate future 🦠).

Started preheating the car for 20mins then did a few loops on the local motorway (within the council region before anyone goes grassing me in) - total 'loop' distance was 21.6 miles (back and forward on the M8 between two junctions near me) - round trips so up and downs evened out

Temperature - 2 degrees C, no wind, no rain and dry roads
Radio on, heating on at 20C Auto and fan speed of 1, no heated seats or wheel
Car is on the Dec update - Non PP, 19" wheels - and OPD set to off

60mph was 33.5KWh per 100 miles (20.8 for the sensible metric people) - rough total range (72KW useable battery?) = 215miles (346KM)
65mph
was 36.3KWh per 100 miles (22.5 metric) - rough total range (72KW useable battery?) = 198miles (319KM)

I know the speeds are a bit slow for a lot of you but if I am travelling a long distance I don't mind the sedate pace to get the best out of the range (I did 'drive it like I stole it' on the way back and only got 42ish per 100 miles, I may have 'slightly' broken the law while overtaking a wee scrote in a Fiesta ST on the duel carriageway (I channeled my inner Dave)

Overall reasonably comfortable with the figures - if sticking to 60ish, 3 hours between charges suites my driving pace
For summer it could even be as high as 240miles (386KM) with 5% extra from the reduced air density, 5% extra from no heating and a couple more from the battery temps being closer to nominal from the air temp
That’s more my number - actually exactly the same. 130km in one go, mix of rural, highway and city. 3 deg C. 23kwh/100km. No seat or steering wheel heat. 19 deg C in cabin. I think some of you are pushing it a lot more 😏

·
Registered
Polestar 2 Void, PP
93 Posts
I always get around 31kwh/100km.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts