Polestar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Polestar 2 arrived a few days before xmas. Thought I would post a few comparisons thoughts and pics to our Model S (which will be 4 years old in June) that I posted on the UK Tesla group.

We bought the P2, as we wanted a hatch, over the Model 3 boot, plus we prefer the interior and cockpit speedo like our S. M3 is a great car, just not for us, and it is good that more and more EV choice is available.

I also like the Polestar ethos, where the CEO recognised Tesla and wants to help continue the move towards sustainable transport.

Polestar deliver all their cars, so ours arrived on a trailer with 14mils on the clock. The guy offered to help set it up, but I politely declined. Its Android auto powered, so you add your Google ID, Spotify and it just works..

You can see how lower my S is though, and the S goes another setting lower when off the drive. The S is much more streamlined, and I think this goes a lot towards its good economy. The P2 is chunky with a wider wheel offset.

Our P2 came with the latest software, which thankfully now includes over the air updates . Like Tesla, Polestar will be adding features and improvements, at the moment, this seems to be every month.
The made from vegans interior is refreshing different, all very Scandi. Projected logo on roof is cool.
The tech is easy to use, if different to the Tesla, and screen seems more responsive. Spotify as ever is beautiful to use. I think both Tesla and this P2 are much better to use than car play. (The P2 will get CarPlay as an OTA soon)
Even the gear shifter is designed so you can rest your arm while using the screen. nice touch.
This feels a quality car, from the smaller external panel gaps, to the interior. Much more so than our S, which should be the more premium of the two.
The boot has a load cover and loads of hooks and partitions. These things are usually and seem missing on the soon to arrive Model Y.
It's also got all the safety tech, including far side seat airbags (in the middle of car), which I think is a first for the UK.
It has full one foot driving, and I think unlike the latest Tesla’s, uses a seamless blend of brakes when regen is limited due to cold. Unless the newest M3's now have this?
The 360 camera’s are great, and you can select any one, like front when pulling out of a junction.

Things not so keen on:
Road noise is way way louder than the S at 70mph.
There is a dead spot on the calibration of the accelerator pedal as you first pull away. Maybe just need get used to it, just needs more travel to get going, feels very strange. I hope this get's upgraded in a OTA update.
The big car keys are awful, not Scandi at all! There is a little key with no buttons (which is fine for keyless). Doors do not lock as you walk away. I love the way the Tesla does this.
When plugging it into my Tesla charger, it took three goes before it would charge. I remember a Bjorn video, where he had to hold the charger in, and that did the trick.
Charge network - this car will stay local, unless it can replace the S. You get a years free BP network access, but compared to the Supercharger network, it feels like going back to dark ages. However, the speed these new networks are rolling out, hopefully range anxiety for all EV drivers will be a thing of the past the 1-2 years.
It needs more OTA updates for sure, both for App, features and drive train efficiency. But then, they are learning and iterating like Tesla did. I certainly think it needs battery pre-heating on charge, as it is chewing energy much more than than the S on local drives.
This is the launch spec, so every option ticked with 2 main packs included plus we added the Performance pack. 4 wheel drive and 660nm of torque - feels v fast. Plus polestar cover all services for 3 years. So no running costs. Lower spec and 2 wheel drive models to follow…
Pilot Pack
  • Pixel LED headlights with welcome lights
  • LED front fog lights with cornering function
  • Light sequences
  • Pilot Assist
  • Adaptive Cruise Control
  • Blind Spot Information system with steer assist
  • Cross Traffic Alert with brake support
  • Rear collision warning and mitigation
  • Collision avoidance and mitigation by braking and steering
  • Run-off mitigation
  • Forward collision warning
  • Lane Keeping Aid
  • Road Sign Information
  • Speed limiter
  • Driver Alert Control
  • Post impact braking
  • 360° Camera
  • Front park assist
  • Rear park assist
  • HomeLink™
Plus Pack
  • Panorama glass roof with projected Polestar symbol
  • Headlight high pressure cleaning
  • Heated wiper blades and steering wheel
  • Weave Tech (Charcoal or Slate) Seats
  • Heated front and rear seat
  • Power-operated four-way lumbar support
  • Seat cushion extensions
  • Rear storage net, front seat backrests
  • Interior high level illumination
  • Harman Kardon premium sound
  • Additional USB connector rear
  • Inductive charging 15W for smart phone
  • Rear floor “lid in lid” with bag holder
Performance Pack
  • Öhlins Dual Flow valves dampers
  • Optimised brake system feat. Brembo brakes (front)
  • 20" 4-Y spoke black polished forged alloy wheel
  • Gold valve caps
  • Gold seat belts front and rear
  • High gloss black roof segment

7309C305-5048-44DA-AEBE-A2F1EEBCB9E6.JPG IMG_2224.JPG IMG_2217.JPG

IMG_2233.JPG
IMG_2215.JPG IMG_2241.JPG

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
There is a dead spot on the calibration of the accelerator pedal as you first pull away. Maybe just need get used to it, just needs more travel to get going, feels very strange. I hope this get's upgraded in a OTA update.
Thanks for the write up. The peddle is a deliberate ... it's so it doesn't launch you fast with the slightest press. It's so it glides more away and easier to control at slower speeds. The might add some customisation to allow a faster response for people who want it.

Not saying it suits everyone ... especially if you are used to a Telsa or other car thats really responsive ... just saying what Polestar said.

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
I also think the pedal needs some room (some free travel) before engaging so that there's room there for the OPD and braking movement.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,602 Posts
Great post!
re locking the doors, I’ve gotten used to swiping at the contact pad on the door handle to lock it after exiting.

but! You need to have the key with you to lock. Found this out with the family. Initially stepped out for an errand and left the family in the car. The errand was taking a while so my wife decided to let the kids stretch their legs a bit. And she found she couldnt lock the car. Seems silly and was the first time I really wanted that app....

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,888 Posts
I wonder if turning ESC off in the driver aids sharpens up the initial throttle response, at the expense of likely getting wheelspin?

In the Ampera and Kona, it remapped the throttle pedal so that it moved the "zero acceleration" point further down the travel, to make space for the high regen mode similar to OPD. I haven't really used OPD in the Polestar (I find OPD makes a car too jerky around the zero point and it's the least economical driving mode) so I can't comment as to whether it does this or not.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Great post!
re locking the doors, I’ve gotten used to swiping at the contact pad on the door handle to lock it after exiting.

but! You need to have the key with you to lock. Found this out with the family. Initially stepped out for an errand and left the family in the car. The errand was taking a while so my wife decided to let the kids stretch their legs a bit. And she found she couldnt lock the car. Seems silly and was the first time I really wanted that app....
I had a fun one the other day, pulled over and got out of the car to go get a haircut and the misses was going to take it and do a bit of shopping. I was two streets over when I got a call. I had the key on me, she hadn't brought hers and as one should expect the car wouldn't move 🤣

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,888 Posts
Would anyone object if I moved this to the Polestar 2 Vs The Competition section? It's a very useful summary for people who are looking at both :).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I will be in the market 1 year from now. I currently own a 2017 Volvo XC90 which I will keep for the long term and I lease a 2019 Volvo S60 which I will be turning in. Ive been jones’ing for a PEV for a long time and was hoping that Polestar would be the answer but I leaning toward buying a used 2018’ish Tesla S. Its not that I don’t love the Polestar but my lifestyle is such that we use our vehicle for 400 mile round trips often for business and recreation and love taking 4 or 5 long driving vacations as well. We work out of our home office so we don’t have a commute.

I can’t, for the life of me, figure out why 8 years after Tesla launched that Volvo/Polestar hasn’t been able to match their range!!! I’d buy a Polestar or Volvo that was hybrid if it had one that got 100 miles pure electric and then ICE….

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
It's a tradeoff between styling and coefficient of drag. If you design for the lowest possible Cd, you end up with styling like the Tesla has. If you're willing to give up a bit on drag, you can have a more conventional styling.

There are other reasons to make your decision. Right now, Tesla has a far better charging network. Polestar is objectively more concerned over sourcing and being responsible to the planet. Tesla has better range. Polestar has better build quality. And so on and so on.

I say, do your research... a lot of it... and then go with your gut.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts