Polestar Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Funny you mention that. Recently I walked past my car at night (I park and charge in our carport) and noticed than the ambient lighting was on. I unlocked and re-locked that car (with my PaK) and the lights turned off. I don’t recall any other patterns that might have been before or after, but this has happened a few times in the week before the bricking. I don’t think I want to fuss with the TCAM battery again, so I’m probably going to have it taken care of at the Space this week.

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
1,192 Posts
Funny you mention that. Recently I walked past my car at night (I park and charge in our carport) and noticed than the ambient lighting was on. I unlocked and re-locked that car (with my PaK) and the lights turned off. I don’t recall any other patterns that might have been before or after, but this has happened a few times in the week before the bricking. I don’t think I want to fuss with the TCAM battery again, so I’m probably going to have it taken care of at the Space this week.
Every time I plug the car in it does this. Unlocking/locking the car turns them off.

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
1,192 Posts
I've just purchased a NOCO GBX45 to keep in the frunk and have a question about it for those of you who have them or similar jump-starters: the NOCO limits each charge to 60 seconds unless you use the "override" function that is intended for batteries that are completely dead. I've found that Polestar Roadside Assistance's outsourced vendor, Urgently, has posted instructions for jumpstarting the Polestar that state to "wait for 6 minutes" after starting the jump because that time "is needed for the BECM [battery energy control module] to [missing verb] it's self-check diagnostic test." You'll find Urgently's instructions -- nicely illustrated with color photos of our car's engine compartment -- here: Service Guide: Volvo Polestar Jump Start, Since the NOCO turns its charge off after 60 seconds, I'm guessing I need to use its "Override" button to charge for 6 minutes even though the override is not intended for batteries that have more than 3V of charge left. Is there any downside to using the override function on a battery that is low but not under 3V? I note that the jump-start section of our car's manual doesn't say anything about having to wait 6 minutes or needing the BECM to do a self-check. So: what's the right procedure to follow to jump-start our cars? Try it for 60 seconds and see if it works, and if it doesn't, use the override function and wait 6 minutes? Or something else? (I've learned all this and purchased my new jump-starter since my car died earlier this week and was fixed by the dealer with an overnight charge and upgrade from 1.8 to 1.8.1.)
I did mine with a GB20, it was completely drained and it only took a few seconds, car came alive instantly and threw a bunch of 12V system errors when I disconnected it, but I switched it into drive and went for a quick drive before connecting it to a battery charger for a few hours (which is optional but recommended).

I think it didn’t let me switch it into drive for a minute or so and it was popping up an error that it was doing some system checks but it eventually did. I only had the NOCO on briefly though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did mine with a GB20, it was completely drained and it only took a few seconds, car came alive instantly and threw a bunch of 12V system errors when I disconnected it, but I switched it into drive and went for a quick drive before connecting it to a battery charger for a few hours (which is optional but recommended).

I think it didn’t let me switch it into drive for a minute or so and it was popping up an error that it was doing some system checks but it eventually did. I only had the NOCO on briefly though.
Thanks — that’s good to know.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Anecdotal but I found out from talking to a few other people (IRL and Facebook) with dead 12V batteries, that they had their dashcams hooked to it. I know it still shouldn't happen that the 12V battery goes flat due to a tiny draw by the dashcams, but worth looking into this trend.

·
Administrator
1,941 Posts
Anecdotal but I found out from talking to a few other people (IRL and Facebook) with dead 12V batteries, that they had their dashcams hooked to it. I know it still shouldn't happen that the 12V battery goes flat due to a tiny draw by the dashcams, but worth looking into this trend.
Battery monitoring shows that the 12V is charged while the car is not used/charged/connected when it drops below ~12.2V. A dead battery should always be checked out.

Reactions: ProfessorCook

·
Registered
768 Posts
Interesting. Maybe it's not the tiny draw of the dash cam itself, but keeping the 12v system alive and stopping the car fully sleeping and other systems go "hey he's (Mr Dashcam) charging so I'm going to use some"

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Small update on my car's "bricked" issue.... the car was towed to the closest Space (Tampa, FL - 250 miles away) on Tuesday. As of today (Friday), the Space has not yet informed me that they have even started looking at the car. It kinda sucks being 250 miles away, but that will change (hopefully) when one of the 3 "Coming Soon" Spaces opens near me.

Polestar CS authorized a rental car which I wasn't going to accept initially because I expected my car to be back by today (Friday). Since my car hasn't even started its repair process, I decided to pick up the rental. The local Enterprise Rental gave me a 2020 Jaguar XF - not a terrible loaner.... the only problem is that this rental has "Manitoba" license plates and apparently was intended for the Canadian market with its speedometer locked to km/h. Oh well... Could be worse. I can't wait to get my Polestar 2 back! Here's hoping they start working on it soon, and it's back home shortly thereafter.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Polestar CS authorized a rental car which I wasn't going to accept initially because I expected my car to be back by today (Friday). Since my car hasn't even started its repair process, I decided to pick up the rental.
'Hadn't considered it before, but perhaps taking a rental gives them a bit more incentive to get the car finished up, eh?

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
The local Enterprise Rental gave me a 2020 Jaguar XF - not a terrible loaner.... the only problem is that this rental has "Manitoba" license plates and apparently was intended for the Canadian market with its speedometer locked to km/h.
Now we know how one set of snowbirds handled the annual migration during the pandemic

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Now we know how one set of snowbirds handled the annual migration during the pandemic
Drive to Florida and sell their Jag to Enterprise for apartment rent?

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Drive to Florida and sell their Jag to Enterprise for apartment rent?
I was thinking they cashed out the first class Air Canada fare and got a one way enterprise rental in a plush road tripper.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts