Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously just when I was travelling for work and could not be reached my wife was using the car and had a flat tire (nail).

She used the connect button and after a long 20 minute discussion was denied any assistance under the pretext that assistance with flat tires is NOT covered.

The Polestar policy clearly says :

General Roadside Services: Our roadside provider will change a flat tire, provide a lockout service, or recover the vehicle to the nearest EV charger to allow you to proceed to your destination.

My wife was asked where she was and when she answered Surrey, BC was asked whether this was in Canada and was then told that in Canada only Vancouver, Montréal and Toronto were serviced.... although she was within 25km of Vancouver.
She was then told to go to a fuel station to pump the flat tire.... she then explained she already made it to a tire repair shop with the flat but they could only fix it the next day by appointment. Connect then asked her whether she could ask a family member to pick her up... she’s alone home and explained this is not possible. She then requested for alternative transportation ? (Taxi) and that was denied under COVID pretext ???
She was then asked to call a Volvo dealer in Victoria on Vancouver island which is a ferry ride away (about 4 hr trip). They could not help either and asked to go to any Volvo dealer.... with a flat tire ?!
She finally gave up on the service and managed to pump the tire and make it to another tire shop where they repaired the tire and where she paid for the repairs.

this is completely against the terms and conditions of road side assistance. I complained with CS and I’m very disappointed with this lack of service !

·
Registered
720 Posts
Wow. I agree with the Professor, I would raise hell. Polestar is pretty responsive on their Twitter feed, I'd ping them and mention the CEO.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,085 Posts
This is unacceptable.
Roadside service is absolutely part of the service agreement for the first few years.

like others said, raise hell

·
Registered
508 Posts
That sucks and is really poor customer service.

While not an excuse, perhaps you got someone new to the CS team? Do you guys deal with Alain and Mike up there in the great white north or different folks? When I first tried to book an appointment with service in January and the local Volvo service dept said they didn't do loaner cars, I brought up the website and fact it specifically called out loaner cars to my Polestar rep and they fixed the situation quickly once I let them know. We now have a couple of loaners at the local Volvo dealer.

I would expect they would minimally reimburse for the expense of the tire repair after this. I wonder if part of the issue is that there is no tire to replace it with due to the idiocy of the tire gunk/air pump solution we have? I would gladly give up my useless frunk or the underneath storage in the trunk along with my towbar if I could have a real spare tire, even the little narrow kind.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

While not an excuse, perhaps you got someone new to the CS team? Do you guys deal with Alain and Mike up there in the great white north or different folks? When I first tried to book an appointment with service in January and the local Volvo service dept said they didn't do loaner cars, I brought up the website and fact it specifically called out loaner cars to my Polestar rep and they fixed the situation quickly once I let them know. We now have a couple of loaners at the local Volvo dealer.

I would expect they would minimally reimburse for the expense of the tire repair after this. I wonder if part of the issue is that there is no tire to replace it with due to the idiocy of the tire gunk/air pump solution we have? I would gladly give up my useless frunk or the underneath storage in the trunk along with my towbar if I could have a real spare tire, even the little narrow kind.
My wife spoke to a lady who identified as ‘Polestar’. Not sure who that was. Luckily enough my wife was able to stop the car fast enough after getting the low pressure alarm. By pumping the tire a few times she kept pressure up as to not damage the side wall. The puncture was luckily still repairable at the tire shop.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,085 Posts

And thank you for that!
Initially there was some push back on my request for a loaner. With a bit of prodding they checked and lo and behold a loaner (with window sticker labeled “loaner”) materialized.

on one hand we’re definitely beta testing their service processes in addition to the cars themselves. On the other they are getting better over time, slowly but surely.

@JMP2 I hope they do right by you here, and then get their act together for each additional customer that comes later

·
Registered
598 Posts
It's right there on the first line of this page: "A flat tire or battery needn’t be a problem. Contact the Polestar Roadside assistance team directly to get support in the event of a breakdown or any other problem."

It couldn't be any clearer that the representative you were talking to was wrong. You should absolutely take this as far as you can. not just for your costs but to the benefit of their customers who will need their services in the future.

·
Super Moderator
1,057 Posts
My guess is the amount of assistance needed is way above their forecast, invalidating their business plan. Over here, they try to establish a new internal rule to not pick up and deliver cars over 150km from the next service point.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,085 Posts
My guess is the amount of assistance needed is way above their forecast, invalidating their business plan. Over here, they try to establish a new internal rule to not pick up and deliver cars over 150km from the next service point.
unfortunately for them we North Americans tend to be litigious...

·
Premium Member
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,293 Posts
And in the US, 150km is just about far enough to get to a neighbouring county, never mind state in some places!

Agreed, you need to raise a formal complaint via email to customer services. They can't ignore a formal complaint as they will have procedures in place to properly investigate it, correct it, and correctly train Customer Service personnel.

Good luck, glad your wife made it home ok!

·
Registered
2021 2
2,085 Posts
Off the subject of the thread I know.....how do you feel about this as a (perceived?) US trait?
personally, On one hand its not great for everyone to be so anxious about potentially getting sued over minor things. Especially in medicine it makes for a not great working environment, and I think that extends across many industries

on the other, for the patient/consumer it’s not an empty threat that one might sue and that keeps businesses in line.

polestar needs to really watch out. They make a lot of bold claims on their US/Canada websites. And particularly in terms of their servicing arrangement, they really aren’t meeting what they claim on their sites that they will. If nothing changes I fully expect someone to raise at least the threat of a suit if not actually go through with it

·
Registered
423 Posts
this is completely against the terms and conditions of road side assistance. I complained with CS and I’m very disappointed with this lack of service !
That sucks big time. Sounds like your wife did all the right things, but that type of CS response will damage their reputation very quickly. They really let you down, and need to try and put it right.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Off the subject of the thread I know.....how do you feel about this as a (perceived?) US trait?
I think "perceived" is a good choice of words there. I'm sure everyone knows about the McDonald's coffee lawsuit, where a woman sued the company because "her coffee was too hot." It was used to rail against frivolous lawsuits and spearheaded the tort reform movement in the US for years. People STILL quote it as an example of a frivolous lawsuit.

Except the true story is McDonald's liked to keep the coffee dangerously hot, so hot that the woman got 3rd degree burns from the spill, and all she wanted was McDonald's to cover her medical costs which were around $18,000. They offered her $800, so she sued. Came out during the lawsuit that hundreds of people complained about burns, many that they had settled, and much of their justification for why the coffee was served so hot was bullshit. Of course this all got buried by political and corporate influences, so all the public saw was a lady who was too stupid to realize hot coffee can burn you.

Obviously the effects of the public opinion campaign during that case stuck, and while we do get lawsuit happy, the perception is probably worse than the reality. The real problem are SLAPP lawsuits, which are when someone sues another just to silence them. Think big companies or rich people who have lawyers on retainer and can afford the costs suing someone, goal is to just make it so expensive for the other party that they back down.

Any way, the documentary Hot Coffee is worth a watch if you're curious.

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
In much of Europe, the loser pays attorney fees, right? I think that would be a good idea here in the states to keep the number of lawsuits down.

There is good and bad about it all.

·
Premium Member
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,293 Posts
We do get similar nonsense "I don't have any common sense so how dare you let something happen to me" law suits over here from time to time. A woman who (unfortunately) suffered from not being able to feel pain decided to have a shower in a Premier Inn (budget hotel chain) without getting someone to check the water temperature first. She ended up with some pretty unpleasant burns, and then sued Premier Inn for not warning her that hot water might be hot! Ridiculously, she won, so now we have a stupid sticker in every hotel bathroom that warns you that the water might be hot.

People need to accept responsibility for their actions instead of blaming others for not doing so. The McDonald's woman is a perfect example of that - blaming McDonalds for her not taking care of the flaming obvious.

·
Registered
720 Posts
We do get similar nonsense "I don't have any common sense so how dare you let something happen to me" law suits over here from time to time. A woman who (unfortunately) suffered from not being able to feel pain decided to have a shower in a Premier Inn (budget hotel chain) without getting someone to check the water temperature first. She ended up with some pretty unpleasant burns, and then sued Premier Inn for not warning her that hot water might be hot! Ridiculously, she won, so now we have a stupid sticker in every hotel bathroom that warns you that the water might be hot.

People need to accept responsibility for their actions instead of blaming others for not doing so. The McDonald's woman is a perfect example of that - blaming McDonalds for her not taking care of the flaming obvious.
She had the coffee between her legs because the car she was in didn't have cupholders, and it spilled as she was removing the lid to add cream and sugar. She had third degree burns on 6% of her body, mostly her crotch, inner thighs, and butt. She needed skin grafts, was partially disabled for 2 years, and was permanently disfigured.

She didn't sue because she was surprised hot coffee could burn her, she sued because when McDonald's was faced with this evidence and asked to cover her past and future medical expenses, which totaled $20k, they offered her $800 and refused to negotiate.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,085 Posts
She had the coffee between her legs because the car she was in didn't have cupholders, and it spilled as she was removing the lid to add cream and sugar. She had third degree burns on 6% of her body, mostly her crotch, inner thighs, and butt. She needed skin grafts, was partially disabled for 2 years, and was permanently disfigured.

She didn't sue because she was surprised hot coffee could burn her, she sued because when McDonald's was faced with this evidence and asked to cover her past and future medical expenses, which totaled $20k, they offered her $800 and refused to negotiate.
so what you’re saying is we need suitable cup holders for each adult in the front?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts