Polestar Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,293 Posts
Sorry but she should have expected a hot drink to be hot and taken suitable precautions. That said, if the cup was overfilled or was so hot that it would have scalded her to drink it then I start to have a bit more sympathy. You can't blame a company for serving you a hot drink because you then do something careless like try and balance a hot drink while putting sugar and milk etc in, even more so if your car doesn't have cup holders. The sueing part is a bit irrelevant as she was after compensation and to my mind it was her own carelessness that caused the accident. Anyway I'll stop there because it seems this case is a bit divisive!

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
This is completely unacceptable and I would have raised holy hell on the phone if they gave me this type of service and continued to request higher level support. Now after the fact, keep all your wife's receipts and mark all the time she spent doing things she shouldn't have had to do. Then write a letter all the way to the top of PS and include all your documentation along with copies of their written service commitments. I would demand reimbursement for not only all concrete expenses, but also for the time your wife had to spend/kill because PS didn't live up to it's commitments. If they don't cough up right away, I'd then go to the BBB in your area and file a formal complaint.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Sorry but she should have expected a hot drink to be hot and taken suitable precautions. That said, if the cup was overfilled or was so hot that it would have scalded her to drink it then I start to have a bit more sympathy. You can't blame a company for serving you a hot drink because you then do something careless like try and balance a hot drink while putting sugar and milk etc in, even more so if your car doesn't have cup holders. The sueing part is a bit irrelevant as she was after compensation and to my mind it was her own carelessness that caused the accident. Anyway I'll stop there because it seems this case is a bit divisive!
The lady was apparently a jack-a$$ nuisance. Can you imagine what would have happened if the coffee was not hot enough? Maybe not a lawsuit, but a complaint just the same.

·
Registered
720 Posts
so what you’re saying is we need suitable cup holders for each adult in the front?
lol, this was 100% in the back of my mind as I was typing.

It is impressive how effective the public opinion campaign that corporate and political interests ran during this case. People around the world are quick to victim blame and make fun of a 75yr old woman who suffered 3rd degree burns over a multi-billion dollar corporation that knew the coffee was dangerously hot, knew it was burning people, and knew their rationale for keeping it that hot was bogus. It took this lawsuit for them to lower it to safer, more appropriate temps... and for it to not taste like scalded garbage.

But we digress, still very curious to hear how JMP2's situation plays out though.

·
Registered
720 Posts
It was so hot that it would have scalded her to drink.

This is what everyone misses, and was so effectively buried. The coffee was undrinkably hot, so hot it caused 3rd degree burns in 2-3 seconds, and at least 20 degrees hotter than other places in the area. McDonald's rationalized this by saying people didn't drink the coffee right away and they wanted it to be hot "for taste" when they arrived at their destination, but their own internal testing showed that that was untrue and that most people drank it, or tried to at least, right away. They were pulling a Fight Club and just settling cases (over 700 at the time of this lawsuit) instead of lowering the temperature to something safer.

Reactions: rgledhill

·
Registered
720 Posts
McDonald's coffee still tastes like scalded garbage 😆 😝
Hey now... it just tastes like garbage. :) Better than Starbucks though... blech.

·
Super Moderator
1,019 Posts
It's pretty decent in the UK - definitely not the worst out there. Freshly ground 100% Arabica via a bean-to-cup machine. It's often the least bad option!

Is yours filter coffee that's been festering in a jug for half a day?

·
Registered
720 Posts
It's pretty decent in the UK - definitely not the worst out there. Freshly ground 100% Arabica via a bean-to-cup machine. It's often the least bad option!

McDonald's? The ones near me are bean to cup as well. It's certainly not the worst coffee I've had, I'm just being a snob. :)

·
Registered
2021 2
2,085 Posts
Hey now... it just tastes like garbage. :) Better than Starbucks though... blech.
and in addition to not causing injuries to their customers, lowering their brew/storage temp likely improved the taste of their coffee!

really there was no rationale reason for McDonald’s to keep their coffee that hot. It was dumb on all accounts. And while unfortunate it took litigation to make them not be as dumb, glad they did it, though it just enforces the meme that the only way to get people to do right in the US involves lawyers.

but really @JMP2 - any progress for you?

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I'm not a huge coffee drinker, but I use a french press. If I buy coffee out, McDonalds would be the last place I'd go. For that matter McDonanlds is probably the last place I'd go for anything except maybe if I was craving a custard shake.

·
Premium Member
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,293 Posts

Ah! Did I leave the gas on?

21 - 40 of 57 Posts