Polestar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
California
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Consumer Reports First Drive impressions are up.

They don’t really have many nice things to say.

I disagree with a small number of the things they say (I like the vegan cloth, spouse and I find visibility reasonable, I think the vehicle is meant to have a cozy feel), but I appreciate they review the car that they currently have instead of a lot of the other reviews giving Polestar a pass by describing promised future features.

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2 | Snow | Performance Package
27 Posts
"The large touch screen has small fonts and icons, and puts different apps in different categories in a way that will surely lead to clutter" When I first got the car, it was very easy to navigate the infotainment system, and I even found it to be much easier than the loaner XC60 I got when I had a flat tire. So I really don't agree with the reviewer's opinion on the infotainment.

"Physical controls are a problem, too. It’s easy to hit the gear selector or hazard button when trying to reach the bottom part of the touch screen, and the defroster and defogger buttons are hidden behind the gear selector. The physical volume knob is a nice touch, but it’s too easy to hit the touch screen’s “home” button when adjusting it" Whoever reviewed this must have stumps for fingers because the gear selector is low enough to not be in the way of the bottom portion of the screen. I can see the gear selector being in the way of the volume knob but saying the screen could get touched when adjusting the volume knob? Again, stumps for fingers for that to be possible.

I've honestly lost trust and respect in CR ever since I saw they recommended an S60 but not the V60 back in 2015/2016.

·
Registered
2021 2
1,755 Posts
I'm feeling in a bit of whiny mood about some things on the car but even now I feel like they're just not being fair and/or haven't spent time to learn the car before neg-ing on it:

There is dual climate control - you just unyoke the HVAC settings.
It's a bit much to call the interior "drab" and "cheap". I sprung for the leather because I think it looks/feels nicer but the WeaveTech is definitely not cheap feeling.
Etc

Some of their complaints are fair (range seen in cold, ride firmness for American butts, scratchy edge in the center console, one cupholder...). But so much is clearly just them not subjectively liking it that it's hard to take it seriously.

·
Registered
P2 2021, Void, Charcoal, no PP, 19 inch
132 Posts
Most things they like/don’t like are just a matter of taste (as always) but it is a disgrace if (so called ‘professional’) reviews (even when it is a ‘first impression’) show falsehoods. Apart from the ones already mentioned above here (like missing dual climate zone) there is another one:
“We already dislike that the system allows for adjustments in only 5 mph increments’ (about the Pilot Assist). This also is not true.
You can change it to 1 mph increments by longpress the button instead of a short press.
But: they are right in their opinion about the frontview and rearview. It is -especialy in citytraffic- difficult to see high traffic lights (sore neck) and when your seat is in the highest position the mirror covers an essential part of the rightfront visibilty. And also true: as driver you cannot enjoy any view through the glass roof (is this any better in other cars? I don't have an idea).

Reactions: polerad

·
Registered
non PP - Snow - Ordered Sep 20 - Delivery 01 Dec 20
57 Posts
But: they are right in their opinion about the frontview and rearview. It is -especialy in citytraffic- difficult to see high traffic lights (sore neck) and when your seat is in the highest position the mirror covers an essential part of the rightfront visibilty. And also true: as driver you cannot enjoy any view through the glass roof (is this any better in other cars? I don't have an idea).
Completely true of all other cars. Certainly, ones I have had. Kids get the benefit and it feels much lighter but you forget you have a panoramic roof as the driver. Who cranes their neck upwards when driving?

·
Registered
Snow, slate, ordered Nov 2020, VIN 10xxx
38 Posts
I too found the CR first impression review weak. Too much focus on tech or personal preference design and too little on the car, build quality and how it drives. People buy cars that they will own for years so it is reasonable to expect a new owner to take some time to properly learn the tech features.
Also weavetech vs leather is a personal preference. I find the non leather a modern, fresh look, in keeping with the times even though my other cars all have leather.
While I know someday all EV will charge quickly, I only do one trip a year longer than 200 miles in a day. For the other 364 days, I am delighted to enjoy the quiet and smooth power of my new Polestar.

Consumer Reports First Drive impressions are up.

They don’t really have many nice things to say.

I disagree with a small number of the things they say (I like the vegan cloth, spouse and I find visibility reasonable, I think the vehicle is meant to have a cozy feel), but I appreciate they review the car that they currently have instead of a lot of the other reviews giving Polestar a pass by describing promised future features.

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
369 Posts
Most things they like/don’t like are just a matter of taste (as always) but it is a disgrace if (so called ‘professional’) reviews (even when it is a ‘first impression’) show falsehoods. Apart from the ones already mentioned above here (like missing dual climate zone) there is another one:
“We already dislike that the system allows for adjustments in only 5 mph increments’ (about the Pilot Assist). This also is not true.
You can change it to 1 mph increments by longpress the button instead of a short press.
That 5mph at a time infuriated me, but now that I'm used to it I'm infuriated by my B8.5 A5 that does 1mph at a time and you have to hold it to do 5mph at a time. It's purely preference and what one is used to. B9 A5 actually got it right by having the cruise control stalk have an extra click on either way, so you can do both 1 and 5 at a time with no delay.

The rear view is a joke, I'll grant them that. It feels smaller than my A5 which is a convertible with a tiny window. The tint doesn't do it any favours either.

Regarding the glass roof, other than a few outliers like the Citroen C4 Picasso that extends the windscreen way back, it's pointless for the front seat in every car I've driven. I don't even notice it's there, it's a gimmick. Perhaps I have higher expectations due to driving convertibles, I don't know, it just doesn't make any difference to me. The kids in the back enjoy it though.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The only control issue I have had so far is that I think (especially for a car than can be driven with 1 pedal) that the brake pedal is too close to the accelerator. So many times after stopping, I'll pull my right foot back away from the pedals (since we don't have to hold the brake down) and when I go to put my foot on the accelerator, it almost always catches the right edge of the brake pedal.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Ugh, this says a lot:
We’re currently in the process of adding break-in miles before we put it through our rigorous standardized tests.
The most egregious omission might the complaints about controlling the HVAC or heated seats and failing to mention Google's Assistant.

·
Registered
2021 2
1,755 Posts
How many thinly veiled digs at Tesla did y'all catch? :)

His description of the trip from the Bay to Tahoe mirrors my experience almost exactly. Even with the charging I'd definitely do it again in the Polestar over my ICE - will just try to find a place where I can L1 (ideally L2) charge overnight. And will plan charging stops every 2 hrs instead of 2.5 but because that's by when the kids get antsy, not the car's battery.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts