Polestar Forum banner

101 - 120 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
So i did a long run today Durham to York and bak, round trip of 170 miles plus a bit. Sat at 60 mph whole way. Got back with 10% from 93%.. Not sure if i am pleased or not. It was very wet and 8C so not great. Conditions.

Screen shot of days activities. How did polestar get WLTP of 292 miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
694 Posts
WLTP is on a rolling road in a 20deg perfectly controlled room doing Xmph for as long as it takes, the battery will be perfectly pre-conditioned, no aircon inside, no music, no nothing except the rolling road.

On the one had it means every car is in exactly the same conditions with no change, on the other hand it's pointless to most consumers.

·
Registered
107 Posts
So i did a long run today Durham to York and bak, round trip of 170 miles plus a bit. Sat at 60 mph whole way. Got back with 10% from 93%.. Not sure if i am pleased or not. It was very wet and 8C so not great. Conditions.

Screen shot of days activities. How did polestar get WLTP of 292 miles.
Interestingly, the I-Pace, with an identical WLTP range of 292, got an almost identical EPA range at 234 miles.

·
Registered
694 Posts
To be honest that would give a total range of 204 miles.

Assuming you didn't pre-condition the car before setting of both times (assuming there was a decent time between both trips too) means you probably lost 3% each way just to get the car warmed up, so that takes you closer to 220 miles if you can pre-condition for one trip, at 8deg in wet weather.

Only thing that is a bit concerning still is that this wasn't at 70mph and only 60mph. I'd expect that at 70mph.

Did you ever try and find if a break disc was hot to touch after a light drive?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
I keep forgetting - i will check.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just did return journey from yesterday where I used 37% charge to do 78.1 miles.

Did return journey in the dark a little faster and used 48% of the battery doing 77 miles. I think the 1st part of return leg was better than 1st journey as % dipped quickly but levelled off then I hit the motorway. I wonder if that is to do with conditioning the batteryiin country roads rather than when I hit the motorway.

Attachments

·
Registered
567 Posts

Bjorn did a P*2 PP vs e-tron 55 sportback race on a longer round trip.

tl;dw - the Audi won by ~15 min across 6-7 hrs principally because of inefficient charging by the Polestar, even with less consumption by the Polestar. Although, the Audi driver used several tricks (drafting behind trucks, turning heat off, etc) to lower consumption and ended up with 3% remaining charge vs 17% for P*2 (though Bjorn did use accel/decel before charging to force warming up of the battery).

The e-tron and P*2 batteries are very similar, so there's hope that Polestar can figure out how to program their BMS for a better charging curve, preconditioning, etc. But even without that the Polestar's relative charging inefficiency translates into 15 min difference across hours.

Just going to note that I just wasted more than that long watching the video and writing this post.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The e-tron and P*2 batteries are very similar, so there's hope that Polestar can figure out how to program their BMS for a better charging curve, preconditioning, etc. But even without that the Polestar's relative charging inefficiency translates into 15 min difference across hours.

Just going to note that I just wasted more than that long watching the video and writing this post.
But the eTron has 95KW batteries doesn't it? So even with 15KW more usable battery it effectively has the same range as the P*2 and is about £20k more expensive

·
Registered
46 Posts
Imagine how much time Tesla fanboys have collectively wasted commenting about their better charging speed, compared to the actual time saved at chargers...
This was my thought as well, if the reduced charge speed for P* can be fixed (and its only an assumption that its cold batteries causing the problem) then it would have won easily.

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Even if costs were the same, I prefer the Polestar. The etron just doesn't strike me as that special, designwise.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Today was 177 miles, Lincolnshire to Portsmouth; used 79% of charge, 31 kWh/100 miles.

Outside temperature about 14C, cabin at 18C; one pedal driving off, two adults in the car. Most - 80% - on motorway/dual carriageway doing mostly 70 mph (bit less at times).

Google thought we’d have to charge before we arrived but ended up with 21% of battery remaining.

So in mild weather, 200 miles on motorway is feasible!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Today was 177 miles, Lincolnshire to Portsmouth; used 79% of charge, 31 kWh/100 miles.

Outside temperature about 14C, cabin at 18C; one pedal driving off, two adults in the car. Most - 80% - on motorway/dual carriageway doing mostly 70 mph (bit less at times).

Google thought we’d have to charge before we arrived but ended up with 21% of battery remaining.

So in mild weather, 200 miles on motorway is feasible!
You had a bit of a tailwind? I did Newmarket to Felixstowe and back today, 120 miles mostly at an indicated 65mph. Headwind going, 15C and dry road. Tailwind back, 10C and some very heavy rain and standing water. overall average was 34.5kWh/100mi.

·
Registered
107 Posts
You had a bit of a tailwind? I did Newmarket to Felixstowe and back today, 120 miles mostly at an indicated 65mph. Headwind going, 15C and dry road. Tailwind back, 10C and some very heavy rain and standing water. overall average was 34.5kWh/100mi.
I’ll compare when we drive back tomorrow!

Your bad weather won’t have helped your figures - another factor!

·
Registered
37 Posts
In every post/review about the Polestar 2, Tesla fanboys flood the comments boasting how much more efficient the Model 3 is.

I started to wonder :
Is consumption really that important ?
I don't care for range, I don't travel long distance that much.
But maybe the electricity cost matters... ??

I took Bjorn Nyland's numbers (real world range stats, not EPA or WLTP) and launched Excel.
It turns out that, where I live, driving for 4 years (80000km) would cost around 250$CAN more with the Polestar 2. Over FOUR years.
That's cheaper than a good restaurant for my girlfriend and I.
Or, about 10% of the cost of the paint protective film you need on the Model 3.
Yeah fair enough, but I,d be happy to get an extra 50 miles of range. It ain't the cost of lecky. It's about driving as you want to without staring at a flaming battery indicator.

·
Registered
81 Posts
non-PP dry conditions, 12 Degrees ambient, 76 mile run today on single A-roads, bit of dual carriage way, not trying to conserve my right foot or battery = 32.1 kWh/100miles.
Total trip counter is 400 miles = 37.6 kWh/100miles.

·
Registered
219 Posts
non-PP dry conditions, 12 Degrees ambient, 76 mile run today on single A-roads, bit of dual carriage way, not trying to conserve my right foot or battery = 32.1 kWh/100miles.
Total trip counter is 400 miles = 37.6 kWh/100miles.
Well done you. Today I did 78.2 miles in a PP. Started at 100% (still using granny charger) and ended with 58%. Had a passenger and 2 border collies in the back, even mix of A and motorway. Tried to drive carefully for most bits, but there were a few idiots that needed to be passed at pace, ended up doing 37.2 kwh/100mi. I even pre-conditioned for 20min. Thing that always kills me is that initial precipitous drop, it's huge and takes forever to get below 40kwh/100mi.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yep, the initial heating of the cabin (as it doesn't seem to heat the battery). I also wonder if it's doing the anti-corrosion brake disc treatment for the first 5 miles, i.e. dragging the rear brakes very slightly to remove any film of rust?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yep, the initial heating of the cabin (as it doesn't seem to heat the battery). I also wonder if it's doing the anti-corrosion brake disc treatment for the first 5 miles, i.e. dragging the rear brakes very slightly to remove any film of rust?
Dunno, but its thirsty as hell. If you set the screen to show Trip Auto consumption, when I first set out, it's been as high as 200+ kWh/100mi 😳

101 - 120 of 145 Posts