Polestar Forum banner

121 - 140 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
I thought the manual 30min pre-condition just did the cabin temp and not the batteries
The manual is not clear. Page 194 talks about the start and stop of preconditioning and mentions only the cabin.

Page 348 has the following reference.

For the car to function, the high voltage battery and associated electric drive systems must be at the correct operating temperature. Battery capacity may be reduced considerably if the batteries are too cold or too hot. By means of preconditioning, using the charging cable connected to the mains power circuit, the car's drive system and passenger compartment are prepared prior to departure, so that both wear and energy requirements while driving are reduced. The high voltage battery that drives the electric motors is charged via a charging cable but can also be charged by means of smooth braking.

This is the only reference I could see. With all the other inaccuracies in the documentation, it is anyone guess as to what preconditioning does.

·
Registered
447 Posts
So 78.2 miles @ 37.2/100 = 29kWh of travelling 'fuel'.
We don't know what the hidden reserve, or 'usable battery' is, but it is rumoured to be "The battery of the Polestar 2 has a total capacity of 75 kWh. The usable capacity is 72.5 kWh (estimate)"
If you started on 100% and used 29, then you should have 43.5 (ish) left, or 60% (ish) of 72.5 and 58% of 75kWh
The car says 58%.
Turning it on its head, into something i can grasp easier, that's 2.7 miles per kWh, which in my situation is around 5pence per mile.
To be accurate of course, we need to know the power (kWh) that went through your charger.

·
Registered
240 Posts
So 78.2 miles @ 37.2/100 = 29kWh of travelling 'fuel'.
We don't know what the hidden reserve, or 'usable battery' is, but it is rumoured to be "The battery of the Polestar 2 has a total capacity of 75 kWh. The usable capacity is 72.5 kWh (estimate)"
If you started on 100% and used 29, then you should have 43.5 (ish) left, or 60% (ish) of 72.5 and 58% of 75kWh
The car says 58%.
Turning it on its head, into something i can grasp easier, that's 2.7 miles per kWh, which in my situation is around 5pence per mile.
To be accurate of course, we need to know the power (kWh) that went through your charger.
Granny charger at the moment, will have Ohme tomorrow, and Octopus Energy still not managed to install my smart meter so afraid we'll have to go with your maths.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
I will attach the excel sheet i did a few weeks ago (very basic, don't get excited). I think the really high initial consumption is a compounding effect of the calculation.

For example if you had a 1 minute journey, chances are you are heating batteries, dragging brakes, heating cabin AND going quite slow. So you have high drain and low average speed for trip. When the car calculates trip consumption it takes these and comes up with desperate figures. It assumes the whole journey would be high load a low speed so doing 100 miles would be super thirsty.

I haven't got anything like 31 yet. Pre-condition definitely helps. I also managed to regen +1% yesterday on a long downhill.... Exciting

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think I just have to accept that the car on a full charge is going to give 180 to 210 miles. I think I can live with that as it has so many enjoyable features. I mainly drive under 200 miles per week. And can easily top up overnight. On any longer trips I will just have to plan a more leisurely journey. May instil a less hurried approach to life. :coffee::)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think I just have to accept that the car on a full charge is going to give 180 to 210 miles. I think I can live with that as it has so many enjoyable features. I mainly drive under 200 miles per week. And can easily top up overnight. On any longer trips I will just have to plan a more leisurely journey. May instil a less hurried approach to life. :coffee::)
This is my philosophy as well.

I've worked out that 90% of my driving is less than 200 miles round trip. I have friends and family that are 200 miles away, so that will be a stop on the way, charge there and stop on the way back. As long as i time it correctly and find a reasonable (50kw+) at my destination it really wont impact me too heavily.

The benefit of always leaving the house with a full charge for my sub 200 mile trips far outweighs this time as I only do the long journeys every couple of months or so

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2
112 Posts
Yeah i have to agree, my daily commute is sub 60 miles. I rarely do any trips over 200 miles. This was my initial concern and why i did initially lean towards the LR TM3. That car will always address range anxiety issues so it's about balance and actual needs.

Will see what tomorrow brings as this will be the first time i have actually seen a physical PS as had to order without test drive. I hope not to be disappointed by the car or its capabilities. The good people on this forum have provided me with a lot of confidence.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yeah i have to agree, my daily commute is sub 60 miles. I rarely do any trips over 200 miles. This was my initial concern and why i did initially lean towards the LR TM3. That car will always address range anxiety issues so it's about balance and actual needs.

Will see what tomorrow brings as this will be the first time i have actually seen a physical PS as had to order without test drive. I hope not to be disappointed by the car or its capabilities. The good people on this forum have provided me with a lot of confidence.
Particularly as the software bugs seem to have settled down. I am sure you will love the car. Classy not flashy.
Sleep well. 😴

·
Registered
154 Posts

Seems regen off gives better range on the motorway.
This is not a range test and based totally on perception. I was driving at a constant speed with low one-foot driving on. Turned it to off, then back on, and off again several times. You just got the distinct feeling the car started to brake as you turned on one-foot driving. I know, total perception, and no factual evidence, just I wonder if the one-foot driving hovers between putting on power and recovering it, thus losing some power on the way.

·
Registered
270 Posts
This is not a range test and based totally on perception. I was driving at a constant speed with low one-foot driving on. Turned it to off, then back on, and off again several times. You just got the distinct feeling the car started to brake as you turned on one-foot driving. I know, total perception, and no factual evidence, just I wonder if the one-foot driving hovers between putting on power and recovering it, thus losing some power on the way.
Exactly that. The most efficient way to drive is with no regen when you lift off the accelerator, then use the brake pedal to slow down as this uses regen until not enough regen is available for the amount of braking you want, at which point it uses the physical brakes as well.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Went for a gentle country drive this afternoon. Regen off. 30 miles - as low as 31.7/100 miles. Settled, by the end of the trip, after a couple of fun accelerations, to 32.8/100 miles. Best so far. James Taylor on Spotify plus of course occasional big beetle bert ads! Really chilled. Lovely car. 😇

·
Registered
718 Posts
At the moment I'm doing 6
This is not a range test and based totally on perception.
Hmm I disagree. He did A-B-A test back to back. Both with a manually set speed limiter of 70mph, with his foot floored unless he needed to slow down for any reason. The variance in temp and road conditions would be minor.
For one peddle if you watch he does slow down gentle towards the roundabout and for the no regen he costs and uses the car's mass to slow him down. Both times he tried to drive as optimal as possible.

If the difference had been 0.5 or 1 +/- ... then yeah style. However there was a 3 kW/100miles difference. That's a decent amount to at least for people here to try a long journey with no regen and see if they get a better result.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The variance in temp and road conditions would be minor.
AB the battery was cold, BA the battery was warm. AB started with 98% SoC which prevents strong regen. Have not seen elevation and wind information. All resulting in an experiment which doesn't prove anything, especially not something in the low 1 digit percentage.

Personnaly, I'm with @rgledhill here as TPD is physically exactly the same as OPD + coasting.

·
Registered
22 Posts
1361 miles
412.66 total kwh
3.298 miles / kwh
30.32 kwh/ 100 miles.
247 mile range.
No pp.
Only regen breaking.

Car arrived September 14th.
Typical mileage when used 40 to 60 miles per use.
No real urban driving to talk about. A roads, some dual carriageway, country roads, and a bit of motorway. Generally speed limit, but not shy in flooring it for the thrill or overtaking. Not many short trips (under 5 miles).
A good return in my view. The dropping temperatures will reduce that ,no doubt.
Will get round to longer A road/m way trips in due course and will do that with regen off.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
I don't think gentle accelleration makes much difference to consumption (unlike in a fossil). Just get up to speed and then roll along. I drove it with less concern for ultimate range today and consumption was the same or better than i had been getting. Way more fun though.

Not using OPD.

Not using full throttle everywhere, maybe 40% instead of 20%.

Hoping that as Polestar get usage info from real world they can tweak battery and motor software as Jaguar and Tesla did.

·
Registered
718 Posts
AB the battery was cold, BA the battery was warm. AB started with 98% SoC which prevents strong regen. Have not seen elevation and wind information. All resulting in an experiment which doesn't prove anything, especially not something in the low 1 digit percentage.

Personnaly, I'm with @rgledhill here as TPD is physically exactly the same as OPD + coasting.
I asked him this, he had just drove 15miles to get there. That's enough to warm everything up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm exactly the same. My daily commute is 26 miles each way, about a third on A-roads (about 40 mph) and the rest motorway (60-70mph). I've done my best to drive efficiently and the best i can get for a journey is 41miles/kWh. My range drops by over 50 miles (after driving 26 miles) and the battery % drops approx 17-18%. This works out as a max range of 170-180 miles which is 100 short of advertised. I never expected to get 290 miles from a charge but I thought 250 might be realistic.

I've contacted Polestar but they just keep telling me the advertised range isn't guaranteed in real world driving.

I'm most frustrated by the 'driver stats' app on the dash. I've never once managed to get it to drop below the top bracket into the 'normal driving' zone.
I have also found the last 60sec stat reading consistently higher than end of journey consumption. Pottering occ short motorway 345 miles , 37.3 kW/100miles☹ Average 23 mph. Hopefully will improve over the next 100k.

121 - 140 of 146 Posts