Polestar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might someone explain to me how to work out what it cost to charge my battery from home. I’m using a domestic plug. The charges are 15.5p per hour. If the battery is completely empty and I charge it to 100%, does that mean it is costing 15.5p x 78 kw Which is a size the battery or is it 15.5×37 hours which is how long it takes to charge

·
Registered
333 Posts
Your energy cost is quoted by your supplier in pence per kWh - 1kWh is you using electricity at a rate of1kW for one hour, or e.g. 2kW for 30 minutes. So if your cost is 15.5p/kWh and you manage to charge from 0% to 100% it will cost you about 75 x 15.5p (the useable capacity of the battery is a little less than 78kWh. That’s keeping it simple and not allowing for charging inefficiency which will add a very few percent to the cost. It’s how much you put in rather than how long it takes.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your energy cost is quoted by your supplier in pence per kWh - 1kWh is you using electricity at a rate of1kW for one hour, or e.g. 2kW for 30 minutes. So if your cost is 15.5p/kWh and you manage to charge from 0% to 100% it will cost you about 75 x 15.5p (the useable capacity of the battery is a little less than 78kWh. That’s keeping it simple and not allowing for charging inefficiency which will add a very few percent to the cost. It’s how much you put in rather than how long it takes.
Thank you very much. Does it follows therefore that the length of time it takes to charge is irrelevant. How does this compare with charging a polestar on a 50 KW rapid charger

·
Registered
535 Posts
Thank you very much. Does it follows therefore that the length of time it takes to charge is irrelevant. How does this compare with charging a polestar on a 50 KW rapid charger
Correct. Time to charge, at home, has no bearing on the cost, whether you're using a domestic plug or a 7kW charger, you'll still just pay for the amount of KW used to top up your battery

Here is some comparison times for AC charging

and for DC charging

Using public chargers is more expensed per kWh (and tends to increases the faster the charger) but the vast majority charge for kWh used rather than time used.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
It's 15p per kWh. So from 0-100% is roughly 72with that's 0.15 * 72 = £10.80

Now, if you use the car daily then and when you have a 7kW charger installed ... consider a night rate tariff where is 5p per kWh for 4-5 hours - that's around 80-100 miles per night.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts