Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I mentioned in the other thread that I had also been looking into something similar. My version is different, so I thought it worthy its own thread.

To me, it makes more sense to use the lid/door for the glove box as the anchor point, because when closed, the glove box lid keeps the cup holder from being able to unclip/become loose. While the curvature of the glove box lid isn't exactly the same all along its edge, it is similar enough that the cup holder can be moved and placed in different locations. The glove box lid has also been designed to take some weight (there's even a foldable hook that can take 2 kg), and it has solid locking pins either side.

So, here's a CAD render of my design:

It is a two part design, because to maintain strength, the hook part needs to be printed in a different direction to the cup part. Basically, it has been specifically designed to be FDM printer friendly, but it can still be printed on other types of printers as well, of course.

Here's some pictures of the printed model. Take note that I printed it in 0.3 mm layer height to save as much time as possible, using lower layer heights would of course make it look nicer.

As you can probably see from the image above, there's a dovetail-like connection between the two parts, and the cup simply slides into the groove of the hook, which makes it become one unit:

Some more pictures where it is mounted in the designated location. Note that it has a very nice fit to the curvature of the glovebox lid:

And one more, showing it while holding a large cup:

When not in use, it can also be stored in the rear cup holder in the center console. No pictures of that, though.

I can't completely agree with myself whether the small embossed Polestar logos makes it look better or worse, but I chose to let them stay. I also created a short video:

I am going to share the files, but I haven't decided whether I am going to give it away for free or not. I have some past experiences where my designs have been used commercially (sold on sites like Banggood), even if I stated it was explicitly forbidden, and that's annoying. I have never tried selling 3D files for printing previously, but it is possible that this design has some potential.

One final note is that I guess it should also work fine for RHD cars, as I would imagine the glovebox and lid are just mirror images of the LHD ones, and this design is symmetric.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I am going to share the files, but I haven't decided whether I am going to give it away for free or not. I have some past experiences where my designs have been used commercially (sold on sites like Banggood), even if I stated it was explicitly forbidden, and that's annoying. I have never tried selling 3D files for printing previously, but it is possible that this design has some potential.

One final note is that I guess it should also work fine for RHD cars, as I would imagine the glovebox and lid are just mirror images of the LHD ones, and this design is symmetric.
That's a lovely design. I'd be happy to validate it on a resin printer for you :cool:. It might even be printable in one piece without loss of strength.

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
1,871 Posts
I mentioned in the other thread that I had also been looking into something similar. My version is different, and I think it is a better design (and quite a bit more refined, in my opinion).

To me, it makes more sense to use the lid/door for the glove box as the anchor point, because when closed, the glove box lid keeps the cup holder from being able to unclip/become loose. While the curvature of the glove box lid isn't exactly the same all along its edge, it is similar enough that the cup holder can be moved and placed in different locations. The glove box lid has also been designed to take some weight (there's even a foldable hook that can take 2 kg), and it has solid locking pins either side.

So, here's a CAD render of my design:

View attachment 4850

It is a two part design, because to maintain strength, the hook part needs to be printed in a different direction to the cup part. Basically, it has been specifically designed to be FDM printer friendly, but it can still be printed on other types of printers as well, of course.

Here's some pictures of the printed model. Take note that I printed it in 0.3 mm layer height to save as much time as possible, using lower layer heights would of course make it look nicer.

View attachment 4851

As you can probably see from the image above, there's a dovetail-like connection between the two parts, and the cup simply slides into the groove of the hook, which makes it become one unit:

View attachment 4852

Some more pictures where it is mounted in the designated location. Note that it has a very nice fit to the curvature of the glovebox lid:

View attachment 4853

View attachment 4854

And one more, showing it while holding a large cup:

View attachment 4855

When not in use, it can also be stored in the rear cup holder in the center console. No pictures of that, though.

I can't completely agree with myself whether the small embossed Polestar logos makes it look better or worse, but I chose to let them stay. I also created a short video:

It looks great. Very professional. But no need to comment on anyone else’s design in my opinion. You know?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Are there custom 3D printer sites like Cafepress or Zazzle? Where you upload the model, they handle printing and shipping, you get royalties on sales.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Are there custom 3D printer sites like Cafepress or Zazzle? Where you upload the model, they handle printing and shipping, you get royalties on sales.
There are some; Shapeways is one of the better known ones.

Reactions: Joel S.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That's a lovely design. I'd be happy to validate it on a resin printer for you :cool:. It might even be printable in one piece without loss of strength.
Hello, I'm interested in your cup holder for Polestar 2. Can you print it for me (I don't have the printer), which colors and at what price (including shipping to Germany). You are concerned about the file that it could be used commercially. I agree. I am one of the moderators and (probably future) founding member of the Polestar Club D / A / CH. It could be a nice merchandising product. What's your opinion?

Greetings Tom

·
Registered
Snow non-PP w/tow hook
149 Posts
Nice design, I'd love to have that in my car. Nice idea to make it possible to store in the useless cupholder.

·
Registered
Void | PP | Slate+Black Ash | No tow | Stickerless | IGL Kenzo graphene coating
165 Posts
I mentioned in the other thread that I had also been looking into something similar. My version is different, so I thought it worthy its own thread.
Very good design. I think the Polestar logo should stay on.
I also agree it makes more sense to use the glove box as the anchor point instead of the center console. When you decide how to share the files, I will definitely get those. Good work!

I'm also thinking about a holder for the driver to be placed over the wireless charging point. It would cover parts of the screen but that is a tradeoff I would do for longer trips. I had that in mind from the start so that is one of the reasons I'm pursuing the center console edge as the anchor point.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Like it, don’t have a 3D Printer but would be interested in buying one if you decided to sell and ship to the UK.

Just had a quick look and there’s plenty of services that you can upload your custom stl file choose your options and they send you a quote. Once paid they print and send so I could do that 😉

·
Registered
33 Posts
I’d very much like the STL and happy to pay a bit for those. I presume you’re aware of cults3d? They provide a platform for the selling of STLs.

Personally I just throw my designs onto Thingiverse because I get a lot for free, it’s nice to give back. My 3D printable Polestar key fob case is on there for example. But I totally respect your decision and look forward to getting the design via whatever means you’re happy with!

Also, my personal preference would be to not have the Polestar logo. Would print nicer in PETG without them (less retractions).

Great work and I look forward to printing it!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm also thinking about a holder for the driver to be placed over the wireless charging point. It would cover parts of the screen but that is a tradeoff I would do for longer trips. I had that in mind from the start so that is one of the reasons I'm pursuing the center console edge as the anchor point.
Yes, as long as you can live with partly covering the screen, I agree that would be a good location for a cup holder. Not for me, though. My OCD would totally trip if the screen was covered. :)

Good design. One small question - if you use the Polestar logo are you open to copyright infringement?
Possibly, not really sure. I will provide files without the logos as well. Most car logos are being reproduced on lots of merchandise these days, and it seems manufacturers don't really care, but Polestar could be different for what I know.

I’d very much like the STL and happy to pay a bit for those. I presume you’re aware of cults3d? They provide a platform for the selling of STLs.

Personally I just throw my designs onto Thingiverse because I get a lot for free, it’s nice to give back. My 3D printable Polestar key fob case is on there for example. But I totally respect your decision and look forward to getting the design via whatever means you’re happy with!

Also, my personal preference would be to not have the Polestar logo. Would print nicer in PETG without them (less retractions).

Great work and I look forward to printing it!
Yes, I am aware of Cults3D, so I created an account there yesterday. My designs from Thingiverse are also being imported automatically. Thingiverse has been great for the 3D printing community, but there's been quite a few issues with it along the way. Extreme slowness, for example. Files without the logos will also be available.

Really can't decide on whether this should be free or not. In any case, printing and shipping to people, at least internationally, will make it way too expensive. I also don't have a print farm, and printing takes a few hours, so that's pretty much out of the question. Online printing sites are also quite expensive, so people without 3D printers should probably try to find someone locally to them to get it printed.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Charge something. You've come up with a good idea and solution... You should make a buck or two. People won't mind buying you a beer now and then, eh?
Good point. I'll try uploading the files to Cults3D, and I'll set the price to a few bucks, but less than a beer here in Norway (which can easily cost 10-15 USD at a pub).

·
Registered
195 Posts
What would more experienced folk than me with 3D recommend we print these in? Online sites have quite a few options.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,602 Posts
Good design. One small question - if you use the Polestar logo are you open to copyright infringement?
I’d upload the design with and without logos, and if/when lawyers come calling, I would take down the logo containing design,... and try to get into the official settlement docs some language to indicate the uselessness of the armrest cup holder.

btw, for the logo, what about instead of having 2 logos for each vertical section, just having one centered on the vertical stripe? To make it more of a subtle touch?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I’d upload the design with and without logos, and if/when lawyers come calling, I would take down the logo containing design,... and try to get into the official settlement docs some language to indicate the uselessness of the armrest cup holder.

btw, for the logo, what about instead of having 2 logos for each vertical section, just having one centered on the vertical stripe? To make it more of a subtle touch?
I tried that, but I didn't really like it, for some reason. And the plan is to upload versions without the logo, which can then be removed if I get complaints.

1 - 20 of 247 Posts