Polestar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
2,185 Posts
I mentioned in the other thread that I had also been looking into something similar. My version is different, and I think it is a better design (and quite a bit more refined, in my opinion).

To me, it makes more sense to use the lid/door for the glove box as the anchor point, because when closed, the glove box lid keeps the cup holder from being able to unclip/become loose. While the curvature of the glove box lid isn't exactly the same all along its edge, it is similar enough that the cup holder can be moved and placed in different locations. The glove box lid has also been designed to take some weight (there's even a foldable hook that can take 2 kg), and it has solid locking pins either side.

So, here's a CAD render of my design:

View attachment 4850

It is a two part design, because to maintain strength, the hook part needs to be printed in a different direction to the cup part. Basically, it has been specifically designed to be FDM printer friendly, but it can still be printed on other types of printers as well, of course.

Here's some pictures of the printed model. Take note that I printed it in 0.3 mm layer height to save as much time as possible, using lower layer heights would of course make it look nicer.

View attachment 4851

As you can probably see from the image above, there's a dovetail-like connection between the two parts, and the cup simply slides into the groove of the hook, which makes it become one unit:

View attachment 4852

Some more pictures where it is mounted in the designated location. Note that it has a very nice fit to the curvature of the glovebox lid:

View attachment 4853

View attachment 4854

And one more, showing it while holding a large cup:

View attachment 4855

When not in use, it can also be stored in the rear cup holder in the center console. No pictures of that, though.

I can't completely agree with myself whether the small embossed Polestar logos makes it look better or worse, but I chose to let them stay. I also created a short video:

I am going to share the files, but I haven't decided whether I am going to give it away for free or not. I have some past experiences where my designs have been used commercially (sold on sites like Banggood), even if I stated it was explicitly forbidden, and that's annoying. I have never tried selling 3D files for printing previously, but it is possible that this design has some potential.

One final note is that I guess it should also work fine for RHD cars, as I would imagine the glovebox and lid are just mirror images of the LHD ones, and this design is symmetric.
It looks great. Very professional. But no need to comment on anyone else’s design in my opinion. You know?

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I usually think this way about Volvo owners. "Don't worry, that driver is a good and honest person because Volvo"
Likewise, a Polestar owner should be recognized as a person of high integrity and excellence.. at least I like to think so :)
So to balance this, are there certain brands with drivers that you instantly dislike/distrust?

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Absolutely. Traditionally Audi, BMW, and Tesla would be on top my list. The only Issue now is that with the Polestar I find it increasingly harder to stay in the "nice guy" category. When driving the Polestar I feel armed with way to much power and road grip. It is very tempting to go apeshit with this car, so I kind of understand those brands mentioned a bit better now perhaps. Even after 8 months I'm frequently blown away by the P2, so yeah..it's getting harder to be "nice"
😁😅😂
I feel your dichotomy!

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Here's a teaser for the next iteration of my cup holder:

View attachment 5608

You can all probably guess what the red part is... The hook/bracket is the same as before, so old ones can be used with the new cup, which is a fair bit bigger and also tapered to better accomodate all kinds of cups. Soft drink and coffe-to-go cups tends to be tapered, and the same is true for many popular tumblers in the U.S. And also, that red part is optional, it is a snap fit and hooks into the very top of the diamond shaped holes (you can see that in the image above if you look carefully). I will also upload some fixed size reducer rings that fits the same way, for those that would prefer that.

While the design is done, I still need to create a short instruction video on the new parts, but files will probably be up some time late tonight.
Getting snazzy!!!!

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
🤣 🤣

Pics or it didn't happen!
Due to the nature of Lego I cannot show pics without completely revealing my design. I don't wish to get rich from this, but my 4 year old niece revealed that some kids in her nursery have been building something silmilar looking.
I just want the respect I deserve.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Have anyone else's shelves warped a little in the hot summer cabin? Or did my guy use the crappiest form of plastic known to man?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts