Polestar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Void | PP | Slate+Black Ash | No tow | Stickerless | IGL Kenzo graphene coating
178 Posts
I mentioned in the other thread that I had also been looking into something similar. My version is different, so I thought it worthy its own thread.
Very good design. I think the Polestar logo should stay on.
I also agree it makes more sense to use the glove box as the anchor point instead of the center console. When you decide how to share the files, I will definitely get those. Good work!

I'm also thinking about a holder for the driver to be placed over the wireless charging point. It would cover parts of the screen but that is a tradeoff I would do for longer trips. I had that in mind from the start so that is one of the reasons I'm pursuing the center console edge as the anchor point.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Printed on Creality Ender 5, 25% infill, 0,2mm, brim and support from 45 degrees angle. Turned out very well. The two parts fit perfectly without any sanding and it's nice and tight in the car. I'm very happy with this. I used PLA that will eventually deform, but then I'll just print another I guess. Very good design @mroek
I'm not going to work more on my own project on this side, but I'll look into something for the driver side.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I feel that as a fellow Polestar owner you are an honest guy.
I usually think this way about Volvo owners. "Don't worry, that driver is a good and honest person because Volvo"
Likewise, a Polestar owner should be recognized as a person of high integrity and excellence.. at least I like to think so :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
So to balance this, are there certain brands with drivers that you instantly dislike/distrust?
Absolutely. Traditionally Audi, BMW, and Tesla would be on top my list. The only Issue now is that with the Polestar I find it increasingly harder to stay in the "nice guy" category. When driving the Polestar I feel armed with way to much power and road grip. It is very tempting to go apeshit with this car, so I kind of understand those brands mentioned a bit better now perhaps. Even after 8 months I'm frequently blown away by the P2, so yeah..it's getting harder to be "nice"

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have done some music releases over the years, and piracy didn't really bother me much. I figured people would support it if they really liked it. But when I found people selling/using my stuff unlicenced, or use it as ringtones, etc..that's a completely different ballgame. Super annoying and very little to do about it mostly. With 3D printing, I guess we will see this problem growing in the coming years. The difference is that at least you know what band/artist you are "stealing" from, but in the 3D print world, you have no idea if it's a stolen or original design you are buying. And perhaps people don't even care. I wonder if the line "If you like this product, please support the designer" would result in anything if it was printed on the eBay item page.

On a large scale, this is a bit like what Xpeng supposedly did by stealing Tesla software... or any copyright infringement scenario where even factories are producing copies to be sold on ebay. Copyrights on 3d print design, is that even a thing yet? This is legally a very tricky area as "everybody" can modify a bit and claim the design as their own.

Regarding the cup holder. I really like it, and I just printed a black version with the new diamond shape. I have been looking at the design a bit myself because I really would like a hook that could be mounted on the driver side of the console while reusing the cup design. I think the reason is that mostly on long trips I like to have the armrest all the way forward but the cup is in the way. And I don't need the screen much while driving as I have the maps in front and the most important stuff is done by voice. Having the cup so close to the steering wheel would be really nice and convenient.
I have messed around with my own design here, but now I don't want a cup that looks different from the @mroek design. So I find myself tweaking the hook design, but I would never think about selling it or giving it away. And I'm not very experienced in the 3d design field either so it's a struggle. Should you ever be inspired to do an add-on like that @mroek , I would certainly buy that to.

·
Registered
178 Posts
So basically you'd like to have a hook that fits over the left/driver side console edge, where the cup itself then sits on the inside, in front of the screen? That sounds doable, but to ensure it can't move, I think some rubber insert on the inside of the hook part might be necessary.
That is exactly right. And yes, rubber inserts might be needed, but my prototype design as mentioned in this thread , worked surprisingly well in that regard. The material on the console is somewhat sticky already, so just some felt like what you would put under a chair to avoid scratching the floor did the trick in my test. I have also been thinking about your left shelf design functioning as an anchor. Leaving room for the phone under the shelf for charging, but adding some kind of anchor mechanism for the cup. Perhaps by extending the left side of the shelf. Extending the actual left shelf itself with a cup holder without using the side of the console also crossed my mind, but there is the thing about the charging area messing that up a bit. Just some thoughts. Still, I think it's important to be able to easily remove the cup because this is mostly needed for long road trips. As a design challenge, I find it intriguing.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Just tested the console bracket. It works absolutely fantastic. Just like I hoped. Yes, it's in the way of the screen a bit but for road trips, I will gladly do that tradeoff. It is easy to just leave the hook and remove the cup because of the perfect fit @mroek designed. The placement is so convenient now beside the steering wheel that the coffee almost drinks itself.

To make the bracket stick perfectly I used this Limputer, ekstra sterke 8 stk. - Biltema.no

I printed with basic PLA, 0.2mm.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The bracket did fit fairly snugly even without the sticky pads, right? I think there isn't much danger that it will fall off by itself, or even slide down the console edge, but it doesn't take a lot of twisting/moment to make it come loose. The sticky pads will solve that, and make it rock solid, I think.
Yes it fits very well without the sticky pads also. I just happened to have them laying around. Now it's a rock-solid fit indeed.

I have some serious road trips in mind so I promise this is going to make a difference big time for me at least :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Here's a teaser for the next iteration of my cup holder:

You can all probably guess what the red part is... The hook/bracket is the same as before, so old ones can be used with the new cup, which is a fair bit bigger and also tapered to better accomodate all kinds of cups. Soft drink and coffe-to-go cups tends to be tapered, and the same is true for many popular tumblers in the U.S. And also, that red part is optional, it is a snap fit and hooks into the very top of the diamond shaped holes (you can see that in the image above if you look carefully). I will also upload some fixed size reducer rings that fits the same way, for those that would prefer that.

While the design is done, I still need to create a short instruction video on the new parts, but files will probably be up some time late tonight.
I'm guessing the downside with the larger cup is that it no longer fits in the original P2 cup holder when it's not in use?
Fantastic job by the way

1 - 13 of 13 Posts