Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I’d very much like the STL and happy to pay a bit for those. I presume you’re aware of cults3d? They provide a platform for the selling of STLs.

Personally I just throw my designs onto Thingiverse because I get a lot for free, it’s nice to give back. My 3D printable Polestar key fob case is on there for example. But I totally respect your decision and look forward to getting the design via whatever means you’re happy with!

Also, my personal preference would be to not have the Polestar logo. Would print nicer in PETG without them (less retractions).

Great work and I look forward to printing it!

·
Registered
33 Posts
If anyone in the US finds a good online site to do the printing, please post it here. I'd gladly pay for the design plus the cost of getting it printed, as I don't have a 3D printer nor do I know much about this.
There's loads of online services but they are quite expensive (but excellent quality). A good alternative is to look here: PrusaPrinters and see if there's someone local with a Prusa i3 (that's just one type of printer, the one I have, but produces good quality prints). They've just introduced a "Print On Demand" feature where you can specifically flag yourself as willing to print for others. My slicer says the cost of material will be around £2 (good quality PETG) and it'll take around 7 hours to print (0.2mm quality).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Printed! Is well designed and printed really nicely. Two parts fitted together perfectly with no post-processing (except removing of supports). Fits the glove box lid perfectly.

For the geeks: Printed in pale grey premium PETG, 0.2mm layer height, 25% infill on a Prusa i3 Mk3.

Window Hood Automotive design Vehicle Computer
Vehicle Hood Car Bumper Telephony

·
Registered
33 Posts
I will try to see if I can find a local printer.
See my comment above re prusaprinters, there’s stacks of people in UK offering a print service on those, which will do a fine job. You need to ensure they print in ASA, PETG, Nylon or ABS (definitely not PLA) at 0.15 or 0.2mm layer height and you should get a good print. Personally I’d use CF-PETG or ASA as the quality is better than regular PETG (which is what I used in pics above, but thats all I had in light grey!).

·
Registered
33 Posts
The problem isn't strength, but in a car the temperature may get high enough to soften the PLA to a point where it will deform.
Exactly and not that huge a risk. I was more concerned that someone using a third-party supplier, and therefore paying a premium and not having the luxury of being able to do a reprint, should avoid getting it done in PLA

If anyone in here are members of other forums or Facebook-groups where you think this can be appreciated, feel free to link to it or post pictures of it
Just doing that now ;)

In other news... I don't think there will be enough movement for it to be a concern, but as an extra measure against abrasion, I've lined the inside of the one I printed with felt.

Automotive tire Automotive design Table Bumper Wood

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would think that the added thickness from the felt would perhaps make the fit worse?
It's extremely thin. But to be honest, it was a last minute thought and I didn't actually try it before dispatching it off to the person it's for! If it is a poor fit, then it'll come off easily enough.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Very tidy, do you mind me asking which machine you used to print?
Prusa i3 Mk3. Unmodified except for an E3D 0.4mm NozzleX as the CF PETG is abrasive and will destroy a regular brass nozzle in no time.

There's a couple of subtle layer shifts and the tops of the ovals aren't perfect, but very pleased how it came out. CF PETG is expensive but does print beautifully and is very strong. Have got some Ziro CF PLA to try as well - only done a test print with that but it came out really nice.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I do find the quality of the filament makes a huge difference so I will try some XT-CF20.
Totally agree re quality filament. The XT-CF20 is not cheap filament but it is super nice. The other stuff I'm getting really nice results from is FormFutura ApolloX ASA, though you need an enclosure for that and print with a super tall brim. The Prusa belongs to work, though I borrowed it just before first lockdown and it's not quite got back to work yet ;) That said I'm the only one that prints anything and I'm WFH mostly.

·
Registered
33 Posts
What is less funny, at least for me, is that I've had tips that some people in FB groups are now manufacturing copies of this for sale.
Not fair. People seem to think that because it's on the internet it must be free. That said, I've not seen this in the Polestar UK group or (unsurprisingly) the official Polestar group on FB, which are the ones I'm a member of. If I had, I'd have said something.

I might reprint mine and would therefore have some spares (in the UK). I was thinking of giving them away (maybe in exchange for a charitable donation) but they'd have to first show me proof that they've bought the design from you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
This guy clearly stole my design
It's not just you, I saw this today: Actor sues TikTok for using her voice in viral tool

An actor is suing TikTok for using her voice in its text-to-speech function.
It converts writing into speech, which can then be played over videos uploaded to the app, often for comedic effect.
Bev Standing recorded about 10,000 sentences of audio for the state-backed Chinese Institute of Acoustics research body to use in translations, in 2018.
The legal action claims her voice can now be heard in viral videos featuring “foul and offensive language”, causing her reputation “irreparable harm”.
Standing, from Ontario, Canada, told BBC News no permission had been given for these recordings to be used in any other applications or resold.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It’s just such a shame that people don’t value other people’s creativity, especially if it’s in digital form. I agree with Terran, don’t let him distract from the fact a lot of people appreciate and admire your work.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I also wondered if you could hide a "watermark" in the design somehow (if I am patronising I really do apologise, not my area of expertise, just pissed on your behalf!) So maybe bury your initials into the base so they would only be revealed if you sliced through it... If that makes any sense.
Nice suggestion. Sadly I can't see how that's feasible in 3D printing as anything like that would be visible in the model/slicer and could be easily removed. It's pretty easy to take @mroek's design, load it into readily available software, remove just the diamond cutouts, replace with something else and claim it's your own. Us 3D printerers do stuff like that all the time (for genuine/legitimate reasons). Cool that you thought about it though. I think we're all a bit miffed to see someone being taken advantage of.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It actually does. Just. But you will need to remove the hook/bracket, so you can't glue those parts together anymore (not that there's really much need for that, though).
Looks great. The ones I've printed, the hook & holder are such a close fit you can't separate them once together, there is just too much friction between layer lines. I guess I could sand but never saw the point!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts