Polestar Forum banner

201 - 220 of 230 Posts

·
Premium Member
Snow Performance Napa Hitch
80 Posts
@mroek - just downloaded your design and used Craftcloud for the printing. I'll report back when it arrives. Thank you for the design work and for this forum's good suggestions on printing options. Total N00B on this 3D printing stuff! 🔨🔧🧰
Maybe this has been shared before, but I had a BMW 3 series about 10 years ago that had retractable cup holders. Why couldn't Polestar have done this?

·
Registered
754 Posts
My 1996 Volvo 850R has a retractable double cupholder in the center armrest - very convenient. You can pull it out halfway for one holder or all the way for both. But it was before "supersized" US drink containers. So a 12oz can fits fine, but a Big Gulp? No chance.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,397 Posts
Maybe this has been shared before, but I had a BMW 3 series about 10 years ago that had retractable cup holders. Why couldn't Polestar have done this? View attachment 5951
I can see @mroek ‘s mind working from here

btw @mroek , your handiwork is mother in law approved. This past weekend had several instances where either the cupholder or your shelving came in handy and my mother in law was super impressed by both mroek’s designs and the working of the forum.
getting brownie points with the MIL is def worth more than the meager cost of the STL files and printing!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 ·
I can see @mroek ‘s mind working from here

btw @mroek , your handiwork is mother in law approved. This past weekend had several instances where either the cupholder or your shelving came in handy and my mother in law was super impressed by both mroek’s designs and the working of the forum.
getting brownie points with the MIL is def worth more than the meager cost of the STL files and printing!
Great to hear that! MIL approvals are tough! :)

About the retractable cup holders: I agree that those are pretty nice, but creating 3rd-party holders of that type is pretty hard, since there isn't any space for it to retract into. Using a hacksaw to create space is probably not something most people are prepared to do.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·
@mroek here are your creations in my car. The shelf is brilliant. Not tested the cup holder yet!… thanks for designing!
View attachment 5983
Excellent! Looking good! Thanks for posting the pictures!

I have been approached by the website angled.io about bringing my designs there, and I am considering it. If I do, it means people can order them printed without first buying the files and then sending those to some printing facility. As the designer, I would get a 25% royalty, but looking at their prices (which the designer has little influence over, as far as I understand it), the revenue generated would probably be quite low. However, it would also make the designs more accessible to many, which would be a bonus.

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
Hmmmm. Your call, of course, but I like the way you're doing things now. Besides lots of us are learning how to do 3D printing just to get your stuff. You're providing a service and an education.

·
Premium Member
Snow Performance Napa Hitch
80 Posts
@mroek - this was my first foray into purchasing a 3D file online and then searching around for a printer. Without others on this forum posting suggestions, it would have been more difficult. I, for one, would have preferred a one-stop shopping experience...even at a higher cost.

But, I wanted the cupholder, so I was willing to learn something new!

EDIT: I'll also add - a functioning cupholder was so important to me that I was willing to do the work required to get it printed. I'm not sure I'd go to such lengths for other mods.

But...in the future, I might buy more (less-critical) mods if the buying process was easier.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,397 Posts
I enjoy geeking on 3d printing but I think this way - assuming they properly attribute you @mroek - would be more impactful for the community and get more deserved credit to you.

Plus, unless the local library is set up for it, it's getting more and more expensive to custom print stuff! So for the avg polestar driver, this would be easier too.

·
Registered
31 Posts

I have been approached by the website angled.io about bringing my designs there, and I am considering it. If I do, it means people can order them printed without first buying the files and then sending those to some printing facility. As the designer, I would get a 25% royalty, but looking at their prices (which the designer has little influence over, as far as I understand it), the revenue generated would probably be quite low. However, it would also make the designs more accessible to many, which would be a bonus.

I guess for a customer perspective it will be a lot more convenient, but at a cost for you ( but again it may increase the volume?). For me this is definitely a challenge, i love you design, i bought and downloaded the design for both the cup and the shelf but as i’m not as brave as Joel S. I need someone or a service provider to print for me, and living in Haugesund ( not a metropolitan area 😉) its a challenge, actually I’m struggle to find any company in 🇳🇴. So at the moment, i have your files and pictures from the forum 😅

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #220 ·
I guess for a customer perspective it will be a lot more convenient, but at a cost for you ( but again it may increase the volume?). For me this is definitely a challenge, i love you design, i bought and downloaded the design for both the cup and the shelf but as i’m not as brave as Joel S. I need someone or a service provider to print for me, and living in Haugesund ( not a metropolitan area 😉) its a challenge, actually I’m struggle to find any company in 🇳🇴. So at the moment, i have your files and pictures from the forum 😅
You live in Haugesund you say? Well, that's a coincidence, as I'm also living in Haugesund. We'll probably be able to work something out... ;)

201 - 220 of 230 Posts