Polestar Forum banner
241 - 260 of 281 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #246 ·
Have anyone else's shelves warped a little in the hot summer cabin? Or did my guy use the crappiest form of plastic known to man?
If the heat is really extreme, you'd need very temperature resistant plastic to avoid warping. The most used plastic is PLA, and that does not withstand temperature very well. Basically it will start to become soft somewhere between 50 and 60 degrees C. PET-G is a bit better, typically handling around 20 degrees more.

Non-destructively checking what plastic your shelves are made from isn't easy, I'm afraid.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just ordered through Craftcloud for delivery here in the US (California). I hope I did it right. I ordered 2 cups, a left console bracket, a hook (I hope this is for the glove compartment), and left and right shelves. 5 items. I ordered in the PETG - Black with 20% infill. These were mostly the default options. Lowest price was $49 with 2 weeks for delivery but I paid $77 to get in 3-5 days. If I did this correctly and they come out right, I would be very happy with 2 cups and two shelves for $77 plus the $15 that went to mroek for the files. I'll follow up next week when they arrive.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #254 ·
I just ordered through Craftcloud for delivery here in the US (California). I hope I did it right. I ordered 2 cups, a left console bracket, a hook (I hope this is for the glove compartment), and left and right shelves. 5 items. I ordered in the PETG - Black with 20% infill. These were mostly the default options. Lowest price was $49 with 2 weeks for delivery but I paid $77 to get in 3-5 days. If I did this correctly and they come out right, I would be very happy with 2 cups and two shelves for $77 plus the $15 that went to mroek for the files. I'll follow up next week when they arrive.
Sounds right. The console bracket allows you to have the cup holder on the inside of the center console, but it will partly block the screen. It is also possible to have two cup holders on the glovebox lid, one to the left and one to the right. The hook fits in both locations, but since you only ordered one hook, that's not an option for you.

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2, Void, Performance Pack, Ivory Leather Seats, goes by the name of 'Inga' 🇸🇪😎🌞💥
3 Posts
I mentioned in the other thread that I had also been looking into something similar. My version is different, so I thought it worthy its own thread.

To me, it makes more sense to use the lid/door for the glove box as the anchor point, because when closed, the glove box lid keeps the cup holder from being able to unclip/become loose. While the curvature of the glove box lid isn't exactly the same all along its edge, it is similar enough that the cup holder can be moved and placed in different locations. The glove box lid has also been designed to take some weight (there's even a foldable hook that can take 2 kg), and it has solid locking pins either side.

So, here's a CAD render of my design:

View attachment 4850

It is a two part design, because to maintain strength, the hook part needs to be printed in a different direction to the cup part. Basically, it has been specifically designed to be FDM printer friendly, but it can still be printed on other types of printers as well, of course.

Here's some pictures of the printed model. Take note that I printed it in 0.3 mm layer height to save as much time as possible, using lower layer heights would of course make it look nicer.

View attachment 4851

As you can probably see from the image above, there's a dovetail-like connection between the two parts, and the cup simply slides into the groove of the hook, which makes it become one unit:

View attachment 4852

Some more pictures where it is mounted in the designated location. Note that it has a very nice fit to the curvature of the glovebox lid:

View attachment 4853

View attachment 4854

And one more, showing it while holding a large cup:

View attachment 4855

When not in use, it can also be stored in the rear cup holder in the center console. No pictures of that, though.

I can't completely agree with myself whether the small embossed Polestar logos makes it look better or worse, but I chose to let them stay. I also created a short video:

I am going to share the files, but I haven't decided whether I am going to give it away for free or not. I have some past experiences where my designs have been used commercially (sold on sites like Banggood), even if I stated it was explicitly forbidden, and that's annoying. I have never tried selling 3D files for printing previously, but it is possible that this design has some potential.

One final note is that I guess it should also work fine for RHD cars, as I would imagine the glovebox and lid are just mirror images of the LHD ones, and this design is symmetric.
This is an AWESOME design, I'd totally buy a 3D print of it - brand new 2 owner here! 👍

·
Registered
250 Posts
Have anyone else's shelves warped a little in the hot summer cabin? Or did my guy use the crappiest form of plastic known to man?
I’d guess they used PLA to print it which has a low melting point and will distort in the sun. PETG is better and more heat resistant and should have been used for anything that might hold a hot coffee….

·
Registered
382 Posts
I self-printed mine on a resin printer using water washable photopolymer resin, and so far, so good down here in FL.
My resin print is doing just fine, despite the 100ºF heat this week (meaning it's probably hit 130+ inside the car a few times in the afternoon). I imagine PLA would have melted into a puddle :).

Reactions: ProfessorCook
241 - 260 of 281 Posts