Polestar Forum banner
41 - 60 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I will try to see if I can find a local printer.
See my comment above re prusaprinters, there’s stacks of people in UK offering a print service on those, which will do a fine job. You need to ensure they print in ASA, PETG, Nylon or ABS (definitely not PLA) at 0.15 or 0.2mm layer height and you should get a good print. Personally I’d use CF-PETG or ASA as the quality is better than regular PETG (which is what I used in pics above, but thats all I had in light grey!).

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
This is really why I stay glued to this community! Excellent international co-operation and problem solving. I will try to see if I can find a local printer. One question; when will the phone app for the holder be delivered OTA?
The target date for the app is some time in the future. It will probably slip multiple times. Maybe indefinitely. :ROFLMAO:

See my comment above re prusaprinters, there’s stacks of people in UK offering a print service on those, which will do a fine job. You need to ensure they print in ASA, PETG, Nylon or ABS (definitely not PLA) at 0.15 or 0.2mm layer height and you should get a good print. Personally I’d use CF-PETG or ASA as the quality is better than regular PETG (which is what I used in pics above, but thats all I had in light grey!).
I absolutely agree, but I still printed my prototype in PLA. The problem isn't strength, but in a car the temperature may get high enough to soften the PLA to a point where it will deform. For me that's not a big problem, as I can always print a new one. So my plan is now to test how well the PLA version holds up, and if it fails, I'll print a new one in PETG or some other material that can take the temperature better.

I also added a new picture to the download page to show how well it stores in the rear cup holder:

·
Registered
672 Posts
I ordered a printed cup holder off the website where the file is uploaded. It’s got a pretty nice way of selecting which parts to print, a multitude of material options with their descriptions, color options, infill (fedelity/quality), etc. $50 shipped. 6-8 days.

EDIT:
With less expensive options, it probably could be $25 shipped.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I ordered a printed cup holder off the website where the file is uploaded. It’s got a pretty nice way of selecting which parts to print, a multitude of material options with their descriptions, color options, infill (fedelity/quality), etc. $50 shipped. 6-8 days.
That is very interesting, please post pictures and your impressions when you receive it. What kind of printing process did you choose? Did you order it as one piece (for resin/SLA), or did you order the two-piece version?

·
Registered
672 Posts
That is very interesting, please post pictures and your impressions when you receive it. What kind of printing process did you choose? Did you order it as one piece (for resin/SLA), or did you order the two-piece version?
Polycarbonate. 2 piece (with logos).

·
Registered
334 Posts
I printed the single-piece version on a Formlabs form2 in "Tough 2000" resin, which has similar properties to ABS. I need to sand off some support marks, and maybe paint it a more interesting color, but it came out nicely and fits perfectly. Nice job, mroek!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
@StarPole Will be interesting to see if they handle the supports correctly on the hook part. They should do, of course, but I have no experience with services like that.

@Amanda Looking good, and you're probably the first and only (for now) person to print the single-piece version. Some cleanup (and possibly paint), and it will look even better. Thank you very much for posting the picture! Appreciated!

If anyone in here are members of other forums or Facebook-groups where you think this can be appreciated, feel free to link to it or post pictures of it. I'm not a FB person myself (for lots of reasons), but I do recognize that many people are, and I do know that several owner groups exists, where people could be interested in this.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The problem isn't strength, but in a car the temperature may get high enough to soften the PLA to a point where it will deform.
Exactly and not that huge a risk. I was more concerned that someone using a third-party supplier, and therefore paying a premium and not having the luxury of being able to do a reprint, should avoid getting it done in PLA

If anyone in here are members of other forums or Facebook-groups where you think this can be appreciated, feel free to link to it or post pictures of it
Just doing that now ;)

In other news... I don't think there will be enough movement for it to be a concern, but as an extra measure against abrasion, I've lined the inside of the one I printed with felt.

IMG_0173.jpg

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Exactly and not that huge a risk. I was more concerned that someone using a third-party supplier, and therefore paying a premium and not having the luxury of being able to do a reprint, should avoid getting it done in PLA

Just doing that now ;)

In other news... I don't think there will be enough movement for it to be a concern, but as an extra measure against abrasion, I've lined the inside of the one I printed with felt.

View attachment 4888
I would think that the added thickness from the felt would perhaps make the fit worse? I don't think there will be any noticeable abrasion even without any lining, but I did think about creating a version with some added space (like a recess/pocket) for an inner lining of the hook. At least on the front part, which touches the outside of the glove box lid. In the end I decided to not do it, since I don't think it will become a problem.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would think that the added thickness from the felt would perhaps make the fit worse?
It's extremely thin. But to be honest, it was a last minute thought and I didn't actually try it before dispatching it off to the person it's for! If it is a poor fit, then it'll come off easily enough.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
It's extremely thin. But to be honest, it was a last minute thought and I didn't actually try it before dispatching it off to the person it's for! If it is a poor fit, then it'll come off easily enough.
Better make him aware of it then, so he doesn't just force it on. The inner curvature of the hook is a very close match to the glovebox lid, and it wasn't really designed for anything extra inbetween.
And again, since the inner surface of the hook is smooth (except for the layer lines of the print), I can't see how there could be any problematic abrasion going on. A layer of tape on the inside would also make it even smoother if one is worried about abrasion, and that would most certainly be thin enough to not cause issues.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
@Terran don't force it on ;)

@mroek I'm paranoid/overthink things like this - making sure you keep things nice and don't damage them through carelessness. I blame my father who is far worse than me for it ;)
I'm with you, but in this case I don't think such extreme caution is necessary. And I suddenly remembered that I had some very thin self-adhesive felt lying around, so I went ahead and tried it on mine. I had to use a bit of force to get it on, and the added thickness of the felt makes it spread out a little, making it no longer fit perfectly.

So my conclusion is that it is better to line it with something thinner (like plain smooth tape), as it becomes too tight with a felt lining. It is of course possible to redesign it with some added space for lining, but that means people printing it will need to get hold of the lining as well. Some thin cloth and double-sided tape would probably do, but still. It is (a little) more effort for (possibly) no real gain.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Don't worry, with the (very) thin felt attached it still fits snugly and doesn't move. Looks good in grey matching my Slate interior and I think the logo's finish it off beautifully. Thanks @mroek for the design and @ForgotRafe for printing it...

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
@Terran Good to hear! I found it a tad too snug with a felt lining, but it is possible that @ForgotRafe had some even thinner stuff that he applied.

It is also weird how all the different angles of the interior can make it look like the cup holder isn't actually properly vertical (like in your photo). I discovered that when taking photos myself, from a lot of angles it looks slanted in some direction, while in reality it is almost perfectly vertical.

·
Registered
Void | PP | Slate+Black Ash | No tow | Stickerless | IGL Kenzo graphene coating
164 Posts
Printed on Creality Ender 5, 25% infill, 0,2mm, brim and support from 45 degrees angle. Turned out very well. The two parts fit perfectly without any sanding and it's nice and tight in the car. I'm very happy with this. I used PLA that will eventually deform, but then I'll just print another I guess. Very good design @mroek
I'm not going to work more on my own project on this side, but I'll look into something for the driver side.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I have no idea about the cost and hassle of 3D printing, so apologies if this is not a fair swap. However, if anyone is interested in sending me a printed copy of one of these cupholders in exchange for a brand-new still-in-the-box Volvo Glasses Holder (in charcoal color) that works in the Polestar 2, let me know. I accidentally got sent 2 of them and only really need one.

Having said that, if nobody is interested in a swap, I'm happy to send the sunglass holder to someone who can use it. I drive a hard bargain.

Here is the part on Amazon.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,588 Posts
I have no idea about the cost and hassle of 3D printing, so apologies if this is not a fair swap. However, if anyone is interested in sending me a printed copy of one of these cupholders in exchange for a brand-new still-in-the-box Volvo Glasses Holder (in charcoal color) that works in the Polestar 2, let me know. I accidentally got sent 2 of them and only really need one.

Having said that, if nobody is interested in a swap, I'm happy to send the sunglass holder to someone who can use it. I drive a hard bargain.

Here is the part on Amazon.
perhaps a curious student could help you out?

I may or may not be utilizing down time here testing out our printer for applications highly specific to our scientific mission. If I happen to hit submit twice and it works out I’ll let you know!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Love the idea, no need for a cup holder for me. I don't even use the two the car has.
Only concern I wanted to share is that selling stuff with a logo, could get you in trouble. Hope that bodes well for you.

41 - 60 of 247 Posts